Ducati MultiStrada 1200

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by Paulvt1, Sep 10, 2008.

1. Gustavo

Gustavo Motociclista Errante

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

What it doesn't translate correctly is that this is a rendering based on some guy's vivid imagination. Any relation between this version and what Ducati will eventually produce is only coincidental... :deal

Gustavo
  2. kobudo28

kobudo28 Banned

Oddometer:
    I like the position of the oil filter....just waiting to get ripped off of the bottom of the engine.
  3. John Ashman

John Ashman Adventurer Wannabe

Oddometer:
    I'm sure the real thing would be a whole lot cooler. The fairing on that looks like it was ripped off a Bandit or something.
  4. dtysdalx2

dtysdalx2 The only easy day was yesterday...

Oddometer:
    Looks like an expensive Triumph Tiger rip off to me. With less HP I'm sure.

Ducati can be like HD, very expensive with little HP.
  5. dogtired

dogtired SECRET ASIAN-MAN

Oddometer:
    Its a Beauty AND a Beast!:wink:
  6. MookieBlaylock

MookieBlaylock Long timer

Oddometer:
    beautiful but they must be joking about that oil filter and pipe
  7. capriccio

capriccio Long timer

Oddometer:
    You want more HP, may I suggest Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, or Suzuki touring bikes. Ducati is offering a simple air cooled engine, minimal plastics, light weight, great handling, with little more HPs than is reallly needed on a touring but still in balance with fuel milage and torque. I would guess, based on the 95HP put out by the 1100 engine that the 1200 will probaly put out between 110HP & 115HP. You'll have to spend an additional $10,000 MINIMUM to get that much HPs out of the current HD engine, but then you wont be able to use it for touring, as the heat from that rear cylinder will roast you like pig in BBQ pit, and the reliability will take a nose dive of gigantic proportions. NOT BASHING, just giving my opinion on your comparison.
  8. R59

R59 they call me Rocker

Oddometer:
    Why is that?

Tar snakes gonna jump up and bite 'em while riding down the highway?

:lol3
  9. Arch

Arch Incurable Gearhead

Oddometer:
    :photog
  10. Florida Lime

Florida Lime Long timer

Oddometer:
    Straight math says the displacement increase would yield about 103 horsepower for a 1200, based on 95 hp for the 1100. That depends on a number of factors, such as the airbox set-up, as the Hypermotard (like my S) only makes 90 hp stock.
    These numbers are, of course -- claimed, at the crank -- numbers.
    The Buell Ulysses (a 1203cc engine) makes a claimed 103hp already.
    My Ulysses does put some heat, but it has not sacrificed any reliability to do so. Of course, it IS less expensive than the Ducati. :wink:

Seems everyone in the air-cooled camp is in the same ballpark to me. :D
  11. capriccio

capriccio Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was responding to the HD comparison. As far as a Buell comparison, price goes to Buell by a slight margin, suspension goes to Ducati, brakes to Ducati, engine to ducati as the 1178cc engine will not put out less than 110HP, with easyer revability, higher rpms and wont need a fan putting out 120decibels to keep the rear cylinder cool. Torque specs will favor Buell because of the much longer stroke used. Weight will go to Ducati as it is an obsession with them. The reason I believe 110HP is s minimum, is because other air/oil cooled mfgers. BMW & Guzzi claim 110HP for the GS & Stelvio, Ducati the terror of MotoGP will not be second on anybody spec sheet.
  12. Pepemoto

Pepemoto Road-slicer

Oddometer:
    It's nice.

But...

It's computer generated, blah.
  13. AngryRed

AngryRed Lost in Cyber Space

Oddometer:
    Being a long time Monster owner / fan I have to say I like it. The Monster was a great all around bike with the exception of long distance riding. Take that great bike and let me sit up straight and it seems to me like a lot of fun on two wheels.

It would be a good alternative to those that simply cannot get the Multi to grow on them.

:wink:
  14. switchback

switchback Eatin' Dirt Since 1982

Oddometer:
    I like it better than the earlier mock up. As far as function it is in the same ballpark as the Multi. I am sure it will continue to be the lightest and best handling of the adventure class.
  15. nedodjija

nedodjija Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is the first time that Ducati is coping Suzuki I believe. This bike has Vstrom written all over it.
  16. Weekend_warrior

Weekend_warrior Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I own a V-strom. If they are copying the Suzuki they should copy the price as well! Based on looks I like it a lot!
  17. AngryRed

AngryRed Lost in Cyber Space

Oddometer:
    I don't see that but to each their own. There really is nothing V-strom about the Desmo.
  18. fixinbones

fixinbones Tarmac Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Is this thing photochopped. I like it in any event[​IMG]
  19. motogon

motogon Like wind

Oddometer:
    It looks like updated <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:place w:st="on"><st1:placeName w:st="on">Gran</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType w:st="on">Canyon</st1:placeType></st1:place> to me, but I may be biased. :lol3 <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
  20. RMac

RMac Cheese!

Oddometer:
    :nod

The same engine / oil filter configuration they've used on the old Elefants and Gran Canyons. Only needs a skid plate and besides I doubt they expect anyone to go log hopping on one of these.

You've obviously never seen a Gran Canyon. I think in fact it was Suzuki who tried a lame attempt to copy the Gran Canyon.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With the 17" wheels they are clearly not trying to make a dirt bike or a serious contender to compete with the 9fiddy's or 800gs, just a capable all roads touring platform. So unless you only stick to pavement I'd say, not yet, keep the GC.