XR650R Thread!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by JustinT, Nov 24, 2008.

1. jm-2008

jm-2008 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  2. Ironwood

Ironwood Friday Harbor, WA

Oddometer:
    Myself and a couple others were fighting float-check valve problems recently. My needle looked perfect under magnification but still would not seal. I took the bowl off and manipulated the float with the tank hooked up and got interesting results. If I held the float in the up position and then turned the fuel on it would not leak. But when I lowered it to start the fuel flowing and then raised the float back up, I could not get the fuel to stop. I spun the tip in fine sandpaper and got it to start working better, but still once in a while it would not shut off. So I bit the bullet and popped the $30 for a new one. Ouch! It now works well.

Joe
  3. RallyMoto

RallyMoto Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow, small world! My in-laws live in Coolin. I worked at Hills Resort on the West Side for a summer and rode the trails all over up there. Beautiful place in the summer, too. Great snow mobiling in the winter.

Welcome to the BRP club. :D IMHO, it's the best dual sport out there, except for the 690 Enduro, for which you can buy 3 or 4 XRR's.

4. lstzephyr

lstzephyr Solo con rambo

Oddometer:
    Pm me your address and I will send you the chunk sitting on my toolbox. It was given to me by another advrider. Pay it forward and all that.

I used to think my bike burned a bunch of oil then I installed the sight tube and realised I just never checked it. It only really burns oil at high speed long distance.
  5. Garthe

Garthe ROCKS ARE YOUR FRIENDS...

Oddometer:
    I got a complete kit I'm not using...$40.00 and it yours...shipping included. pm me your address...
  6. header

header Chris

Oddometer:
    Istzephyr beat you to it. Ive already got the fittings so all I needed was the tubing.
  7. Scoutman

Scoutman Misanthropic Drifter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the welcome. It is a great place to live. I spend 6 months a year on the snow and the other 6 on the dirt. I own both a sled and a bike trailer, but neither gets used too often as I ride right from the house.
    Did a little e-shopping tonight. Picked up some IMS pegs, a Clarke 4.3 gallon tank, a Vapor trail computer and a BD dual sport kit. Still to purchase: Jets for the "uncorking", a ignition key kit, tail rack, mirror, bar risers and new bars, shorty levers, etc. etc.
    Getting another foot of snow in the mountains tonight, so still focusing on sleds right now, but I will be ready for spring:lol3
  8. Garthe

Oddometer:

:clap.
  9. the_hulkamaniac

the_hulkamaniac Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Big Dead Piggy.

[​IMG]
    I was just messing around, it's a bit small. No room for the air intake track, but the pipe might fit within the frame.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  10. jesusgatos

jesusgatos fishing with dynamite

Oddometer:
    Ah, sorry to hear/see that. Any idea what happened? Besides the obvious...
  11. dirtyoffroad

dirtyoffroad Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    if Header is all set Garthe,I'd be interested in that.
  12. the_hulkamaniac

Oddometer:
    Not really, valves were adjusted around x-mas, fluids were fresh and full. It wasn't very cold out. -5C / 23F. Light snow in the past few days so I was pushing quite hard, it wouldn't wind out 5th so I was running in 4th really hard. So I might have just over reved it for to long with to much load. With this monster on the back end:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=14898003&postcount=6935

So I might be giving up on the "terrorflex". Lucky for me i still have the oem motor, so I can run it until a rebuild the monster.

Anyone hear how cyclewiz is coming with his setup? I think the crank is good, but I need a big piston, cam, top end, valves.... :lol3
  13. Purcell69

Purcell69 Mors ex Tenebris

Oddometer:
    Moving forward...at the speed of rust in mid-OK
    Was the valve head missing when you disassembled the motor? Something metal was hitting the top of the piston and the head. Just guessing, but I think when whatever let go at high rpm, it cocked the piston sideways, cracking the cylinder. I hate to say it, but I'd bet you're looking at a crank and rod plus a new top end at the least. That kind of load hitting the rod surely damaged the lower rotating assembly.

My wife did that one years ago with a 454 Chevy. The #3 exhaust valve dropped the head into the cylinder. Since steel doesn't compress well, the connecting rod took on an "s" shape before punching a hole in the side of the block. The damage in your pictures looks very similar.

-Joe
  14. Garthe

Oddometer:
    Sorry...sold.
  15. the_hulkamaniac

Oddometer:
    I think I fished out all the parts, they were sitting on top of the piston. The piston had no problem going up and down in the bore once free. One of my neighbors used to build motors and crank he's going to give mine a once over looks straight feels tight. Time will tell. There is a bunch of room for a broken valve to bounce around with the high peak in the cylinder head.

My old 450s, and I blew up a few would grenade much worse then this.
  16. 5hortbus

5hortbus Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Prior to reading the "make note of how your needle jet is oriented when you pull it out, it'll save you jetting headaches later" advice, I pulled it and cleaned it.

The XRR manual says to reinstall it with the smaller diameter into the carb body.

Do they mean inner or outer diameter?
    -The outer diameter difference is 0.2mm,
    Inner is a 1.0mm difference.
    Of course the smaller inner diameter is on the larger outer diameter side.

Which way should this go back in??
  17. Garthe

Oddometer:
  18. jm-2008

jm-2008 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  19. Purcell69

Purcell69 Mors ex Tenebris

Oddometer:
    Moving forward...at the speed of rust in mid-OK
    Does anyone know if a XR400 rear wheel can be fitted to the XR650R? I know the CRF450X can be done with a different bearing set and a little shaving of the axle spacers. I'm looking for a spare rear but even used is damn expensive. I even looked into the Warp 9's, but the reviews were mixed. Didn't seem all that good for the money.

-Joe
  20. gvthnks

gvthnks Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:

hope I didn't miss it, but do you have pics of this? Thanks