KTM 640 Adventure owners, sign in please...

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by creeper, Feb 20, 2004.

1. clintnz

clintnz Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer:
    Check your throttle & choke cables are routed ok & moving freely. I had the inline adjuster on the choke cable vibrate loose once which caused some funky running like that.

Cheers
    Clint
  2. supercoyote

supercoyote Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The throttle turned out to be the problem, the throttle idle screw turned out to be waaaay out between running with a dirty/freshly oiled filter and the dry one.
  3. TellicoADVTrail

TellicoADVTrail If I don't answer I'm ridin' or shootin' Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anybody happen to have a BST 40 47.5 idling jet?
  4. mattadv93

mattadv93 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi,
    So im thinking about getting a 04 ktm 640 enduro that has 55648k's (34578mi). He's asking $5500aud for it, Is he dreaming or does it sound about right? Also it comes with a 27lt safari tank along with the 18lt and 12lt factory tanks and has the seat to suit them tanks.
    Cheers,
    Matt
  5. johnno950

johnno950 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thats getting up on kms,if you got your heart set on a lc4 something else may turn up for around those dollars with less kms,gather you from oz with the km/aud $conversion,ditto with looking at some other brands for touring/trailriding etc.....see a few very well set up dr400s/wrs etc etc from time to time on bikepoint,its a buyers market go out and maybe testride.
  6. Dirty3

Dirty3 Just add sauce

Oddometer:
    Heelo all,

I am looking to buy a 2005 640A. It looks in an honest state(i.e. has been looked after ok). I noticed it hasn't got the switch for the different fuel grades and has a centre stand but no side stand.
    Q1. Did this year come with the switch for alternate quality fuels? It has a hole on the left hand side of instrument panel but no switch. If they did have one, is it an easy job to refit, presuming the wiring is there i see no problem why not but yet to find it.

Q2. Can you have both centre stand and side stand?

Cheers,
    Neil.
  7. dnrobertson

dnrobertson Big Bike, Slow Rider

Oddometer:
    Q1. No switch, but a wire down near RHS side plate. It's a brown wire. Easy enough to wire a switch in.

Q2. Not using KTM OEM parts. SW-Motech make a side stand that works with the centre stand.
  8. Dirty3

Dirty3 Just add sauce

Oddometer:
    Hey David,

Awesome, thanks for the response.
    Hopefully the deal comes off. I've been looking for one of these for some time. Took bike for a ride today and felt great for a big bike (not used to them), was easy to ride since not riding since January (no bike).
    Thanks for the info.
    Cheers,
    Neil.
  9. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've done both on mine, works a treat.
    top middle switch is my octane switch, way easier placement than under the side panel.
    [​IMG]
  10. my6

my6 Long LongTimer...

Oddometer:
    Gentlemen...I've just made the jump back to KTM from a short and trouble filled stint with an XR/L. I'll be putting an 04 625 SXC in my garage hopefully by the end of next week. Lookin forward to getting to know ya'll.:D
  11. NoSeason

NoSeason n00b

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    Hey fellas,
    I hope im doing this right, super noob here :rofl
    Ive been lurking you guys since before I bought my bike about 4 months ago. Your guys' enthusiasm on the bike is mainly what helped me seal the deal on buying it. It's the first bike I've ever owned and I've fallen in love.
    Sadly, about 30 minutes after this photo was taken I went around a corner to fast and slammed the bike into a small grass hill. After the crash I got back on her, started her up, and drove off, the bike felt a little weird but I thought maybe that was just adrenaline, nothing looked seriously damaged except for some scratches and a dangling turn signal. Then I began to notice that there was a small knock of my forks when I tapped the front brakes, and it slowly began to change the way the bike handled as well. I looked in my manual and it said to tighten the steering bearings, but when I jacked the bike up the play wasn't coming from the steering head but from where the inner and outer sheath of the suspension forks met, where the dust seals are located. :dunno
    I bought the bike with 5000 miles on it, I've got about 9,500 now. Thanks to creeper I've performed 2 successful oil changes (after making a big oily mess the first time :D). She's bone stock, but I have the aluminum cases (saddle cases) which I've already bought parts to change the latching system and paint them the same color as the bike, green and gold flakes and all. I've also had the chain, 2 sprockets and all the rear bearings changed out at the shop, which cost me $700. I really dislike taking my vehicles to a shop which is why I can take my truck completely apart if I want to. But when it comes to my bike I'm a babe in the woods, I want so much to learn! :y0!
  12. clintnz

clintnz Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer:
    Dunno what's a good price where you are but that sounds a bit steep unless in real good nick. Mind you, 3x tanks is nice. At that mileage I would immediately do the cam & follower bearings, water pump rebuild, new starter clutch, service forks & shock & linkage bearings & check & clean the carb.

Check your fork alignment in the triple clamps, could just be a bit twisted up. Support the bike, loosen all the fork pinch bolts, give everything a wiggle, they should settle back to paralell, check with a couple of straight edges across top & bottom. Usually they crash pretty well.

Cheers
    Clint
  13. Dirty3

Dirty3 Just add sauce

Oddometer:
    Cheers Skibum.

Paid the deposit today for bike, so will look into this once I get it home.
  14. skibum69

Oddometer:
    No sweat, just get a better quality switch. Funny, I live in New Melbourne:lol3
  15. juames

juames Have Fun, Don't Die!

Oddometer:
    Speaking of Octane switches, anyone know if the pre-'03 models have this feature? :ear
  16. dnrobertson

dnrobertson Big Bike, Slow Rider

Oddometer:
    I put a switch on mine, but didn't run it the whole way up to the dash. Just mounted it down near the panel. I have a thing about drilling holes in expensive Austrian plastic.

FYI, I have never bothered with changing the setting in Australia.

Welcome to the family Dirty3.
  17. skibum69

Oddometer:
    Oh come on, like all the other smashing and bashing is any better:lol3
  18. bmwktmbill

bmwktmbill Traveler

Oddometer:
    They do not.
    I converted my '02 over with a later ignition coil for a RTW ride, it was plug and play.

No issues at all with the upgrade.
    bill
  19. pubetmaster

pubetmaster Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi guy's , just e little hello to all the other 640 @ Owners from me :D

[​IMG]
  20. overlandr

overlandr Dystopist

Oddometer:
    Welcome! Why not show off some of your other great photos?

imageshack.us/f/33/gopr0664.jpg