The All New LIQUID COOLED R1200GS threadfest

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Dorsicano, Feb 3, 2011.

1. NLS

NLS My bike needs washing...

Oddometer:
    Yes.
  2. cjack

cjack Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wires with tracers (multy colored wires) are generally switched, solid like red or brown (ground) are never switched.
    Except...now that I think of it, solid green was always ignition hot which came on with the key.
  3. nickgoa

nickgoa Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The dealer had his Demo with almost everything I want on the bike...except the LED package.... even thought it was brand new Demo...(I was the first one to ride it)...I passed and I'm on a 3 month wait...a huge reason beeing the LED Light. July is not here soon enough....

to each his own I guess...

Enjoy your bike!!!
  4. emack

emack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nice! Thanks. I did tap in to the taillight, and it hasn't thrown an error yet. If it does, I'll be switching to the wire you mentioned.

Thanks for the quick responses guys! My air horn sounds NICE.
  5. mercieca

mercieca n00b

Oddometer:
    Should have asked, are they spoked wheels? Read below if they are.

Just going to put this out there. Ask to check if the hub is not off centre to the outside rim. When I bought my GS years ago, it was the first time they had seen this problem on my bike. I had the dealer at the time say the same thing, and actually say your just getting used to the bike, so don't take no for an answer. Ride it at low speeds and see if there is a bobbing effect.
  6. Voz

Voz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I agree. The light this thing throws out is astonishing, I love mine and will never go back. I have had a lot of LED lights over the years fro filming, etc. They never seem to die.
  7. Voz

Voz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am looking to attach my wiring loom from my Admore LED lights installed in my Givi V46 top box. I had this loom wired into my Versys 650. I had a look under the GS seat and there is very little wiring in there, haha.

Anyone have any advice? I need to tap GND, 12V, Left, Right, Brake & Lights. I can see the wires running to the rear LED lights, can these be tapped?
  8. hdog

hdog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Any one wired a zumo 550 or montana to the new GS.. I have an older 550 and wanted to fit it where the BMW cradle is...Other option is to buy the BMW Nav4. but I like my garmin..I like my topo maps too. I always wanted to upgrade to a montana...the only reason I would think of the BMW nav would be for the handlebar function... Any thoughts
  9. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    Besides the slick handlebar function, tying into the bike's electronics also lets the Zumo display a lot of info about the bike as well. Have a look at this if you haven't seen it.
    http://www.ascycles.com/detail.aspx?ID=121329
  10. oz97tj

oz97tj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a Montana that will be replacing the factory cradle with a Touratech mount. I just need to go pick uo the mount.
  11. IB1

IB1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    90% of the bikes sold here have the LED. All the demo's and showroom models from the dealers are equiped with it.
    They are trying to make it a trademark thing.

And the light is way better compared to old 800.
  12. IB1

IB1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I loaded my bike up with some luggage in the 3 cases and noticed the bike was a little lower. I could almost flatfoot the ground. So I pressed the button for ESA 1+ luggage and it rose about 2 cm I think.
    Now the question. I weigh about 65 kg (144 lbs) and give or take about 25 kg of luggage (paniers included). Should I really use the 1+luggage or just stick to solo rider? While riding I don't really notice a difference. (I put it in rain since it is pouring with rain here).
  13. NLS

NLS My bike needs washing...

Oddometer:
    Really light for a GS. :)
  14. AdvStrider

AdvStrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    I weigh the same as you and will leave it in rider, no luggage, when the panniers are fitted. I read somewhere that the rider without luggage is set up at the factory for a rider weighing around 175lbs.
  15. IB1

IB1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    And with 5'7" also really short for a GS. :y0!
  16. twinrider

Oddometer:
    Same size as me.

I have bad knees so I'd probably prefer the taller setting for the additional legroom and cornering clearance. But if I took it off road I'd switch to the lower setting so I could get my feet down flat when necessary.
  17. IB1

IB1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ok, 5'7" with short legs here. Low seat in low position with the lower suspension. (and I still can't flatfoot the ground). :eek1
  18. twinrider

Oddometer:
    I've got a 30" inseam (just in case you have a different measuring system there, that'd be the length of the Levis that would fit).

When I took the LC GS for a test ride I had the seat in the low position, normal suspension. I'm so used to only being able to put just one foot on the ground while stopped after owning an 11GS, a Dakar and a Super Tenere that it comes as second nature now. :lol3 But offroad it definitely helps to even be able to get both balls of your feet down. Don't ask me how I know. :eek1
  19. nwpa

nwpa Generally amused

Oddometer:
    What's your method for getting on the bike? Do you leave it on the centerstand. Btw I have a 30 inch inseam and can only plant my toes on the high seat setting I prefer.
  20. twinrider

Oddometer:
    Leave it on the side stand, stand on the left footpeg and swing your leg over the seat dirt bike style.

Watch this vid from 2:29

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/s07hML6bJOA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>