Yamaha Super Tenere vs BMW 1200GS: The Verdict

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by cabanza, Jun 3, 2010.

1. Against the Wind

Against the Wind I'm older now but still runnin' Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm another ex-BMW owner. I'm so relieved to no longer have to keep on top of the latest issues with my bmw's.

Since getting a SuperTenere, I couldn't be happier.. the engine has a lot of "character", the transmission is super smooth, and nothing like the tractor engine on my previous 1200GS with its clunky transmission..

42,000 km valve check intervals, and I've had zero issues with my SuperTenere and in all honesty, I'd pay for more it than I would for a GS. TO ME, it's a better all around bike.. The ABS is flawless, unlike BMW's which still has shades of the "ice patch" effect when braking hard over rough pavement.

Every BMW I've owned has had "known issues" stemming from design flaws or poor quality parts. I've been stranded more than once far from home, thanks to bmw's shoddy quality.

I look forward to an enjoyable ownership experience with the reliability of the SuperTenere. I don't really care which bike the motojournos prefer, I've owned both.. I had the 1200GS for 48,000 km and I much prefer the SuperTenere.
  2. AKA HAL

AKA HAL workin' on the noob thing

Oddometer:
    Bump. I'm a little ticked because the dealership just told me my final drive is starting to fail on my GS that's only got 30K on it. It's been a great bike, but this is ridiculous. Just researching my options... One of which is definitely just considering a new FD every now and then as the cost of doing business. Like I said-- I have loved the bike....
  3. Wreckchecker

Wreckchecker Ungeneer to broked stuff. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Final drives as consumables? 36,000 miles on my buddy's GS transmission?
    C'mon. Get real BMW....

The BMW is a handsome bike and I understand why people love them. When new, the Tenere has a heavy stiff feel till about 1,500 miles. But with 24,000 over the last year I put gas in the Tenere, change the oil cuz I should, and motor on with zero doubt the entire drive train will be the same 200,000+ mile relaibility that the FJR has.

With the clutch switch mod opening up the engine in the 1st 3 gears for a whopping $2, the Tenere gives nothing to the GS in the engine department. The estimates and dynos say you get an extra 15 hp. The Super-T is a blast and can be a wheelie monster when it gets past break-in and has the mod. Yet I can still push the button to be in the old Sport or Touring modes if on a long distance tour, 2-up, or loaded in rain.

The Heidenau K60 tires seen to have been made for the bike, because when they start to slip on gravel or wet roads the traction control keeps them where they are supposed to be, plus they can go 20k miles. On gravel they are as sure-footed as can be.

And the ABS is a generation newer than what BMW runs. We were recently 2-up coming down a steep washed out gravel road that on a GS would have required turning off the ABS. On the Tenere the ABS just worked and did better than I could have done with none.

And prices can be found now under $12,500 US if you look.
  4. markjenn

markjenn Long timer

Oddometer:
    The "estimates and dynos" both confirm you get no extra peak hp. You do get snappier throttle response in the lower gears.

Switch on or off, in stock form, the S10 is about 5-hp down on the latest GS.

- Mark
  5. kadesean

kadesean eyesuck Supporter

Oddometer:
    I did not read all 100+ posts in this thread, I did however read the following from Yamaha's website...

WARNING
    Accessory Side Cases and Top Case not recommended to be used together on Super Ténéré due to increased risk of overloading the motorcycle.

I'm sure just like any other manufacturer the lawyers have more say in that statement than the engineers, but I did find it interesting.
  6. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Just came back from a great ride Colorado.. Swapped GS and SuperTen back and forth. The ABS on the SuperTen was flawless on dirt roads, no scary free wheeling and no need to disable it... I actually preferred the SuperTen regardless of price. I felt the Yamaha had more low end torque, smoother engine, much smoother transmission, excellent suspension, and I preferred the "character" of the SuperTenere's engine to that of the boxer engine. It's not your run of the mill parallel twin, the 270 degree crank pin gives it a very punchy output.

[​IMG]
  7. Wreckchecker

Wreckchecker Ungeneer to broked stuff. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Shhhhh - Don't tell them nuthin!
    :deal
    [​IMG]

Seriously, there is more to it. The very early 2010 "First Edition" bikes delivered in Australia and South Africa had a couple develop sub-frame cracks beneath the top box. Where else would you send early bikes to find the weaknesses? :) Yamaha beefed up the rear sub-frame before the next build, including any that have come to North America.
  8. SuperCruise

SuperCruise Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yamaha also later beefed up the luggage rack on the Aussie and South African models via service bulletin. Apparently law suits from the outback and savannah can hurt Yamaha financially too.

fwiw, I rode around Australia post service bulletin with top box and side cases and the kitchen sink and encountered zero issues with the sub frame.
  9. Animo

Animo Been n00b awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have the 1st edition and my bike pretty much looks like yours when I travel, or even heavier :lol3<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p> </o:p>
    Never had a problem.
  10. razcob

razcob Dromedary

Oddometer:
    BMW side case load is 22 pounds and the top case is 11 pounds. The top case isn't half the size of the side case, so they are cautioning you. Who in the real world weighs their loaded bike?
  11. Ze_zaskar

Ze_zaskar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    From the few times I had the oportunity to ride a GS, these are also my thoughts
  12. KraigD

KraigD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Old thread, and I posted a few times in the first few pages about change and done with the BMW cool aid and blah blah blah, and now I need to eat a spoon full of Sh++. I sold my Tenere after 11months and 22,000 miles. Great bike and I liked the valve adj and low maint. I tried to love it, I tried to tell myself it feels and rides just as well as a gsa, But I went back to a 04 1150 GSA because it doesn't. I have now owned 16 GSs from 96 to a 2010 GSA. Nothing feels and rides like a Gs. I went with the 04 because I think the 02 to 06 1150 GSA are the most reliable and easy to work on. If this Gs falls apart not sure how I will deal with it. Could turn into a Moto guzzi Stelvio. I have only put 100 miles on it because of bad weather this week but it feels perfect. Bike has 18k on it, and always been maint by BMW dealer on time, so this bike has no excuse to break down. We will see. That is the one thing the Tenere has going for it, if you service it half the time required and beat the hell out of it for 100k it still would not break down I am sure. Last chance BMW and this time I mean it.
  13. RED CAT

RED CAT Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer:
    Going to a GSA. Had an 08 GS1200 for 4 years. Nice bike. Tried an 08 and a 2010 GSA and was very diappointed. Banana boat city. Sluggish comes to mind compared to the standard GS and also to my S10 with clutch switch mod. The S10 was better in every way if you're half ass aggresive. Going to an older, slower GSA just doesn't compute. The S10 is the king of grunt with better off road manners and just as comfortable on road with a windshield swap. Then there is the superior ABS and TC. And not worth mentioning- Reliability! IMHO.
  14. KraigD

KraigD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am sure the S10 feels faster but it is not, 0 to 100 they wil be very close, And who cares with a bike like this. BMW is way more comfortable for me and thats what matters, I like having the bigger tank, Traction controll nice but not needed, ABS brakes on GSA are perfect in everyway, and the one thing the 1150 needs is Ohlins front and rear and I have that. As I said the BMW is more likely to have an issue, but that is something one has to deal with, I cant fight the feeling of the GSA under my ass. It is just perfect. PS anytime you are in Tn and want to ride the dragon hwy 129 I will show the way for the first few corners and then you will need to find your own way. I should be done with lunch when you get to the top. :rofl If I dont have a problem. Ha.

15. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Really? :huh On the 1150, the clutch output splines (female) and the transmission input splined shaft (male) did not connect all the way through. The input shaft was a tad short, and over time, this wears out the splines and you loose the connection to the tranny. This is a known issue which left a friend of mine stranded - at 40,000 km - 3 states away from home. Even though the bike was out of warranty, bmw eventually offered to pay for the parts and my buddy paid for the labor for this design flaw. Someone on this site was selling, in the Vendors forum, a replacement input shaft that was longer and mated all the way through into the clutch output shaft

Here's one old thread among many on this issue:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27068

In another 10,000 miles you might want to split the bike in half to have a look and to lubricate the clutch output splines.

The final drive on the other hand is a known issue.. the crown bearing tends to go prematurely. Park the bike on the center stand and hold the wheel at 9 o'clock and 3 o'clock and rock it side to side to see if there's any play.. Sadly, it's all part of the "character" of the 1150GS. I wish you the best of luck with your GS.. whatever floats your boat.. when it breaks, fix it and carry on!! Not every bike is for everyone.. choice is great and we're getting more choices for ADV bikes!
  16. KraigD

KraigD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am snowed in, never happens in knoxville Tn, 2 inches and the town shuts down so I have time for this. I know the bike has a few issues reported and I have had a few problems in the past. On the other hand I know many many people who have logged thousands of trouble free miles on these bikes. I have gone 250,000 on BMWs alone, I have only been stuck on the side of the road one time. FD came apart on my 02 1150 Gs. I was not happy. The Gs is the number one selling ADV bike in the world for a reason. It is a great bike, most of the time.
  17. RED CAT

RED CAT Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer:
    I'll get to the Dragon is Moab in April, so come on down and we'll have some giggles. 13-19th Canyonlands Campground.
  18. KraigD

KraigD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would love to go that way, but I cant this year wife and I need to Poland in June. Have a safe trip post some pics.
  19. BobLoblaw

BobLoblaw Comfortably Numb

Oddometer:
    My 1150Gs has 85000 miles with none of the above noted issues. My S10 only has 7000 miles. Still not sure which one I like best. The lean fueling and noisy transmission on my S10 keep me from liking it a lot
  20. KraigD

KraigD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you, I was looking for a little help. I rode 125 miles today in snow and wet roads. When I go back to the GS line I remember why i love it. Solid.