Coast to Coast (and back?) with an Italian Supermodel

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by AntiHero, Jul 13, 2012.

1. Krang

Krang Rides with hippies

Oddometer:
  2. BenZvan

BenZvan N7

Oddometer:
    I wouldn't go that far either. I think AntiHero has given us all a lot to think about in every aspect of his report and I think a lot of what reads as judgement is introspection. How far can we push ourselves to be what we want to be?
  3. AntiHero

AntiHero Long timer

Oddometer:

Exactly exactly exactly.
  4. CharlestonADV

CharlestonADV I do my own stunts.

Oddometer:
    IMO, the rather marked criticism of other people in the RR significantly undermines that intention.
  5. THogland

THogland Back in Alaska!

Oddometer:
    Well, it *is* his ride report :lol3

And it's interesting to read them. The judgements you make about others are based on their attitudes and actions when you interact with them. To them, it's "here's a nobody on a bike" - how they interact with him says a lot about who he ran into. He met a lot of very good people, who didn't know who he was or that he was writing it all down, and still were warm and kind and helpful. He also ran into some weirdos and freaks, and some plain unpleasant asshats. (That's life, unfortunately.) It's all part of making a long trip, all around the country.

If I make that ride, I'll run into different people, and my judgement will probably be different. Or it might be the same. But, at least I'll have an idea of some cool places to go, and where people were friendly to some unknown nobody on a Ducati - who knows they might be friendly to some unknown nobody on a Yamaha, too :rofl

(Of course, my Yamahammer cruiser doesn't have the panty-soaking sex appeal of the Duc, so probably not as friendly. Still, I can hope... :D )

Tom
    ~ still a couple feet deep in winter...
  6. daveknievel

daveknievel Long timer

Oddometer:
    Holy long post batman. Can't we all just get along?
  7. AntiHero

AntiHero Long timer

Oddometer:
    I only throw stones when people are (or I am) trapped inside glass houses.
  8. Stixx

Stixx Fast for an Old Fart

Oddometer:
    Humm, the term "beatin' a dead horse" comes to mind. There is always someone who wants to overthink things and bore the rest of us to tears, that said, it's a free country for the time being.

I have caught up on the RR as well, as I have been distracted far from my desk top and refreshed enough to appreciate two good points made, that being , YOU DOG, you are getting to go to see the new press release of the Penigale and meet cool people to wit, I can think of no more fun way for Ducati to acklowlege your contribution to showing the not so ordinary capabilites of the Penigale.

Bravo...........safe travels :freaky
  9. goodcat8

goodcat8 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
  10. BenZvan

BenZvan N7

Oddometer:
    Well...Palomar Observatory is now on my TODO list...
  11. AntiHero

AntiHero Long timer

Oddometer:
    Flying down to LA tomorrow to pick bike up. The actual 'final' ride to complete this trip (returning to the Bay Area with some excitement in between), coming soon. Will be back online on Monday. Hopefully will have some pics and stories to show for it.

Have a great weekend, everyone.
  12. Serbchaser

Serbchaser Chasin' the Serb

Oddometer:
    This is gonna be good...:freaky:clap
  13. motopat

motopat Adventurer

Oddometer:
  14. rico2072

rico2072 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Have fun.
    Gopro through twisties?
  15. jesse v

jesse v Motorcyclist

Oddometer:
    Not to bring this up again, but I, for one, have enjoyed the introspective aspects of this RR. If their implied conclusions bother the reader, it indicates a problem with the reader, not the author--regardless of whether they are correct or not.

..and I second the request for GoPro footage.
  16. Blumtnman

Blumtnman Rider

Oddometer:
    +1.
  17. Squidbrah

Squidbrah Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Finally something I can look forward to
  18. TigerMike

TigerMike b00b

Oddometer:
    Wow. I've been reading incredible RR's and the best are ones, like yours, with so much soul and insight. It's incredible to hear how this has added more significance to your life story.

The unique factor of your Panigale has certainly raised some eyebrows for those like myself that have slowly gotten away from sport bikes and also made me question why we can't do rides like this if we put our minds to it. Then I consider retreat back to my big comfy riding position and seat. But it's good to know I shouldn't automatically dismiss the idea. Speaking of raising eyebrows, I'm excited to hear about your time with Ducati at COT. Remember what you've done here and consider offering them with a thrilling adventure through Europe. Remind them you just need to find a bike for the journey.

I've taken a road trip through Europe and I suggest at some point you drive the San Bernindino Pass, no regrets. Probably the best road I've ever been on. The nurburgring is worth seeing and driving, but as I drove the track in my comfy cage and passed motorbikes I couldn't help but worry for their safety. I know my warning should lead you the right way direction though :)

I may be moving to Costa Mesa in the next few months so ill have to watch for adventures you take in and around Southern CA.

Lastly, I found the part in minneapolis interesting. I've known John Meyer for some time and when he started DOOM I knew he would do with it what he does with most things in life. He really has put 150% into that and it's great to see what it's become.
  19. Scooterquest

Scooterquest Expert Rookie

Oddometer:
    AntiHero,
    I was just turned on to your RR last week, and have to admit I'm a little sad to be reading it as history instead of history in the making. I'm sorry to have missed you in Savannah, pizza at Vinnie Van Go-Go's is on me next time you pass through. As an absolute introvert (the kind who would make Jung jump up and say "That! That's what I'm talking about!"), I have thoroughly enjoyed your "one man, one motorcycle, and what-may-come" mission and the introspection and insights it wrought. My friends and I meet twice a year at Deals Gap for a week of all day riding, followed by all night lie-telling and philosophizing around the campfire- so I also appreciate the discussion, debate, and camaraderie you've inspired here. Thanks for taking us along for the ride.
  20. zingo

zingo @ ?

Oddometer:
    great adventure !