The Birth of PEZZ-Stilense . . .

Discussion in 'Old's Cool' started by Ricardo Kuhn, Feb 14, 2007.

1. Ricardo Kuhn

Ricardo Kuhn a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Oddometer:
    Minneapolis (don't even ask how i end up here.
    Yeah don't ever mess with a Mad Colombian that is for sure.
    99% of the time I'm alone at this place, so is great to have company, not to mension a lot safer in case something happend to me since i'm kinf of clumsy with tools

Plus other people keep you on your toes and make you aware of silly mistake you make (mark is super dupper smart in many ways, so it helps a lot) ut he also has a job, so i never really see him uch
  2. Ricardo Kuhn

Oddometer:
    measurement and more measurement even if they all tell the same story.

The ruler is on top of the shock mount, yeah that bad
    [​IMG]

Just because the rulers form a cross does not mean the PEZZ_Stilense is death.
    [​IMG]

ussing a vice from the center of the rear subframe, same thing.
    [​IMG]

a better view
    [​IMG]

The distance fluctuates from One inch to 1 3/4 but i'm sure is do to my primitive careless & measureents,no time to waste at this moment until i mount everything propertlly to really measure things up.
    [​IMG]

Just diferent views for FYI porpuses only.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

personally i love the concept of this picture (the foto is lamme) but I like how the light and the shadow kind of tell the tale of the conversion into the Darkness
    [​IMG]

so here is that i plan to do to solve this canandrum (suggestion as ussual are very welcome)

I'm going to set the swingarm as far to the right as possible, ussing the double adjusters, i think I can get around 10MM of movement to the right doing this with out any machining shimming, nothing, well a little magic, but nothing drastic.

if that is not suffient, I'm going to have JP my master fabricator mill the inner piece of the frame mount and then build it up farder away from the center axis of the bike (I will gain about 6MM to 8MM that way, maybe even more if necesary)

Things that need to be on AXIS...
    *the Wheels need to track on the same exact axix (line) for a variaty of reason including simetry, handleling, equal easiness in turning, nimbleness, center of gravity, tyre wear pattern, fork dive under braking, etc)

* the Shock needs to be mount right in the middle of the frame (lower shock mount is on axis with the center line of the wheel) but is not a big deal if is mounted a little to the side.

* The Output shaft/ Shaft drive/ swingarm tunnelthis is very ovius but actually maybe the most dificult thing to achive, yes I can get the wheel to be on axix with the center line of the bike, but what happend if the tranny output shaft does not aling with the bore on the swingarm,(yes i do have some wiggle room but is not much ore than 5MM each way) so sadlly i think I need to aling the Swingarm to the Output shaft first and fore most (make them concentric, vertically and horizontally ) and then aling as best as possible the center line of the swingarm in reference to the frame, and then do whatever it takes to center the wheel on the bike, by "Dishing the wheel" (Moving the rim side to side in reference to the hub) and NO you can not install SPacers, since the Hub needs to move close to the final drive than farder away) but then again i losse all the advantages of having the same rear wheel for all the bikes.

Or I can just say Fuck-it and ride the bike with the two wheels going on paralever paths but not exactlly the same line (the K bikes have done that for years), but I preffer to do it right if I can.
  3. Ricardo Kuhn

Oddometer:
    Her First Bath

man Mark sometimes is so lamee at taking fotos.

anyway I give the frame, engine and franny a big old bath, but i think is being many years since that hapepnd and the grease on the block is about 1/8" Yes I did use all this fancy solvent, and they kinf of help but scraping works even better even if it takes forvever
    [​IMG]

she is getting a lot better, the frame is actually not so bad, the engine. oh man, is being two day and at least 20 washes and my hands, arms and elbowss still dirty and greasy
    [​IMG]

this is the very basic way the shock is going to be mounted, a little trick I learn from my Golem research.
    [​IMG]

basically the shock is going to be tilt forward to about 45 deggres, and a "A-Frame" (similar to a A-arm actually) attach to the upward tubes of the frame is going to provide a pivot point so the shock can be mount somehow longitudinally, the lower menebr will be a small clevis with adjusters, but so far I plan to have a One to one rathio and not a progresive linkage, but that can be upgraded , updated very easilly by changing the members of the linkage,
    [​IMG]

somehow something similar to this but far more simpler, and with out the rocker arm that will change the lenght of the paralever trailing arm.
    [​IMG]

well that is it for now...

Enjoy, dream and please use you brain to figure out if i'm doing something really really wrong, but remenber first I paint with Broad strokes and the farder i go along the small the brush will get, so don't get stuck on details until the big picture is clear, sound and proven.

Best design advice I can ever give you, other than never becoming a designer in the frist place specially on a field full of Copycats and lammoSupremos but sadlly is a little to late for me.
  4. Solo Lobo

Solo Lobo airhead or nothing Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wow, I love this thread so far Ricky! Any chance the motor actually runs?:ear

BTW, I am seriously considering not going forward with a front-end conversion on my R100GS, and should have made up my mind in the next week or two... if I don't I will have a set of WP Extreme's already shortened to just about the perfect legnth for your or R-Dubb's project for sale... The stupid custom triple clamps with the 38mm offset are now $586 Euro and that might just be too much for old Solo Lobo to fork out.....:1drink
  5. MvZee

MvZee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm still waiting for my royalty checks on those photos.... does anyone know what a photographer makes these days???
  6. MvZee

MvZee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey.... :ddog

Maybe if I didn't have to worry about your camera spontaneously combusting in my hands every time I took a freakin' picture...
  7. Ricardo Kuhn

Oddometer:
    I'm glad I can tickle your fancy, but is going to get better so don't go away, plus we are going to have at least two other projects so stay tune..
    Oh man I have not idea, we are not even going to try, in fact is somehow apart already since we are going to replace the r80jugs for a set of r100 head ricks already have.

besides each one of this engines were are getting is going to taken apart from the start (Regardless), inspected, up-graded if require then balance, new bearing install and then rebuild (same as the tranny's and final drives) so we know they are sound.

the basic idea is No Hockymamma Pennytech cutting corners cheppo ricky stuff, everything is going to get done right, to the point if you want to take any of the bikes to the end of the world they will be ready for it (that is the way i like to do things, but ussually i don't have the resourses)
    maybe wait and see how we do with this few frames that we are re-making and then I pass the secrets and discoveries on to you and the rest of the crew
    (will have patterns and suggestions availlable someday when we know they work) so you can make a more educated decision.

Personally I think the stock forks are a freaking Joke, they flex like a pair of spagetties in the wind, plus the Hydrolics are from Arquimedes times , but if you don't stiffen the frame to take the "Better" forks you better leave the bike along since will handle even more funny and maybe even fail do to the increase leverage of the longer stiffer suspension.

In fact I give you a Tip (I'm going to be secret-less on this none money making projects in honor to mister PEZZ ways) we are going to modified the headstocks of the frames so they can house current taper roller bearings (OEM KTM parts since they are easy to find) by making some how of a "Bicycle headset" (weldable insert) that will be welded on into the stock headtube including a big overlap section. so the widder bearing can be fit, oviuslly the gussets will emanate from there into the rest of the frame (this is going to be fun for sure.)

you wait until you see my aproach to the backbone toptube stiffener and the swingarm mounts, Bloddy brilliant, i'm so proud.

Great we take them, in fact we take as many as we can find, since they are the perfect forks for this heavy bikes.

I'm not totally convince about this long trails (forward upset of the triple clamps) on this forks, personally i'm going to start with a stock 22MM and see what the consequences are (Cheaper, simpler and they are already there) but then again i want to "Massage" the head angle (if R-Dubb lets me) so we have more current angles and not some stupid rake out fork like on a chopper since that will be so lamme:puke2

anyway if everything fails we are going to have about five sets (of the long offset) made By JP (but they are not going to be cheap since the low production volume) and I also plan to make a Fork brace for the Extremes, to make them even more rigid (axle is much to skinny and running a single oversize rotor they are going to twist) and this bridge will even acomodate a low fender mount.

I can not tell you how much they are going to cost, but were five eat six can do it too, so you are more than welcome.

I'm totally tyred of business stuff do to all the creeps but if we have sufficient numbers we can CNC the parts and get a better price point.

In fact hopefully JP is going to make mine out of welded cromolly tubes just for kicks and to be "Diferent" (I just love his structural work so much, I want to have it anywere it make sense).

so don't be impacient, I realize you may not sell us the forks, but who cares, what is important is for each person is happy and satisfied.
  8. MvZee

MvZee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ... then again, it could be just the subject matter...

You decide: this...

[​IMG]

or this...

[​IMG]
  9. Zen Slug

Zen Slug Spineless Adventurer

Oddometer:

Frontpage Front Page !!! :clap

:lurk
  10. Loadedagain

Loadedagain making chips

Oddometer:
    hey ricky... would you mind pointing me in the direction of the golem rebirth thread?
  11. MvZee

MvZee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  12. Ricardo Kuhn

Oddometer:
  13. MvZee

MvZee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    But I beat you by 8 minutes.... time is money.... and second place is the first loser!
  14. Ricardo Kuhn

Oddometer:
    you see that is why i will always bet you with the ladys.

you are so worry about the clock you don't even have time to enjoy life and the small pleasures that provides from time to time
  15. MvZee

MvZee Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Oh... I'd give the ladies all the time in the world... if they'd let me...
  16. R-dubb

R-dubb Dubbious Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Solo,

Hang tight dude. We're looking at using Extremes & 43mm USD's (they both ride in 50mm bores). We will likely be doing a run of 6-8 pair of clamps!

Besides, your shortened Extreems won't work with these bikes since we're lengthening the swing arms to support a full length dirt fork, with some mild extension above the clamp.

Have you determined that the steering lock is badly impacted if that offset were reduced to say 25mm? It only matters because the added width of the fork could cause the rotation towards the front to conflict with frame mounted body work. I'm pretty sure the HPN's in my PD are around 28mm. I haven't pulled the top off to measure, but I should.

cheers
  17. Ricardo Kuhn

Oddometer:
    Don't worry the RicoSuave seminars are coming to your area soon..

Ps: you have it all wrong, you need to own your own time, before you can give it away..

Ask Rick, he see how the suavenes works, my problem is to hold them around since i don't offer them many clallenges do to my openess, but i don't know how to be any other way.
  18. Ricardo Kuhn

Oddometer:
    R-dubb is the man, lissen to him.
    can they be lift back up somehow..!?!?

wow I wasmore worried about the steering angle imput and handleling (Like a bicycle), but I totally forgot about steerring lock caracteristics, since the Oilhead pretty much have no issues in that regard.

then again if you make the triple clamps wider (farder Eye to Eye) they may start to touch on the tank , fairing and who know what else, plus you need special axles, brake caliper adaptors and other funky shit, plus the K.I.S.S. pronsiple get over riden, so forget about it..
  19. R-dubb

R-dubb Dubbious Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This little beauty should work. Its a 9411 with 16" eye-to-eye and it looks like about 3" of travel.

[​IMG]
  20. Ricardo Kuhn

Oddometer:

Hey Now...

don't parade fancy food in front of a hungry man...:fyyff

How about this PDS shock I saw at CalBMW tune by Linderman, build by White Power for the GS

[​IMG]

Ps: I got you the last copy they have of the HP2 video, i did not even get one for my self.