GS Appreciation thread...SUZUKI that is...

Discussion in 'Old's Cool' started by ADK, Jan 8, 2008.

1. zookster

zookster Chupacabra

Oddometer:
    Superb bikes! Really like the 550 done up Wes Cooley style. Very nice. The 850G reportedly had the most comfortable seat ever made on a GS. I've never had the pleasure of riding one, just 750's and 550's.
  2. solo suzuki

solo suzuki oldskool fool

Oddometer:
    that 1000 is lookin' better everytime i see it,
    everyone's either black, white or red...
    love the inverted paint combo and the silver engine/chrome pipe sitting in the black frame/black wheels
    good work sir! :thumb
  3. rrowdies

rrowdies n00b

Oddometer:
    Got the manual (thanks for the advice) took it all apart. Found out that the ignition was not an original and had one wire spliced directly bypassing the connector. Long story short: a buddy knew a locksmith who took the ignition apart and made me two new keys. Put it all together and it started on the third try after sitting since last September in my backyard through the snowiest winter of my life. Hoping to get it safetied and on the road in the next two weeks.
  4. Rascious

Rascious Adventurer

Oddometer:
    1983 GS750T

[​IMG]

Just got it last week. Starts, runs, and rides like a dream. All I've done is cleaned/lubed the chain and sprockets, change the oil/filter, air filter, and plugs. Keeping things in the family, my buddy rides her twin sister:

[​IMG]

We're trying to get a weekend ride together but his bike is having intermittent starter woes.

I'm still trying to work out a good (and cheap) way to add some secure luggage for a longer trip coming up.
  5. JoeyBones

JoeyBones Encouraging Entropy

Oddometer:
    Back in the early 80's I had a GS450E - drove that thing all over the place, including a three day trip from Miami to Atlanta (for a 24-hour layover with, ummm.....her name was.....uh.....Tracy maybe?) and then on to Washington, DC.

1,500 miles in 72 hours, including the layover (pun intended).

Just last week, I snagged an immaculate '79 GS850G with 13,800 miles. Bone stock, garage kept, never been down, etc etc. I'll post pics in a few weeks after I run down to South Florida of all places and bring her home to Charlotte.
  6. JoeyBones

JoeyBones Encouraging Entropy

Oddometer:
    Here she is..... I should be pickin' her up this coming weekend.

[​IMG]

:clap
    ErikMotoMan likes this.
  7. chronos

chronos Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My first bike, but was maroon with no windscreen. I put low bars on it and thrashed my friends on their 86 FZ600s in the twisties. Granted, they could have been faster if they had the heart, but were always shocked to see me creeping up on em and passing them. I'd throw it into sweepers with the trademark reckless abandon of most 17 year olds...speed wobble and crappy tires be damned :rofl

I was known in high school as "wheelie master" cause I'd pop the clutch and walk it the length of the school parking lot...One time a car backed out in front of me so I leaned to the left around the car, on one wheel with my brother on back, then leaned to the right and held the whole way down the lot. Id wring the ever loving piss out of that bike and it never once faltered. I'd come home at 3am after work down International Drive in Orlando and get as much speed as I could to hit an intersection that had a big hump in the middle. Guaranteed launch at 80-90 mph. What a great little bike it was. :freaky
  8. Achiii

Achiii Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I love my 80 450e. Unfortunately, off the road with a burst seal this week. Identical to the 450s above, but without the fairing.
  9. drhach

drhach We can't stop here, this is bat country!!

Oddometer:
    So, I've been working on this:

[​IMG]

It still needs a fair amount of work. It is street legal though, and pretty road worthy. I have a question to anyone who can answer it. It is a 78 GS1000. It is all stock internally. My question regards the speed of the bike. I am used to riding a DR650 and an R90. When I ride this thing on the highway, I really don't feel as if I'm going that fast, but the speedo gets up to 80MPH at 4500 RPM. Does that sound right? It feels like about 60MPH. I'd hate to find out the hard way that the speedometer is basically correct.
  10. bwringer

bwringer Gimpy, Yet Alacritous

Oddometer:
    Oh, what the hell. Here's my '83 GS850G. Right now, it's sitting at 95,000 miles. Shoulda turned 100K this summer, but I had some medical issues. I've had my GS850 for over 10 years, and with any luck it will be puzzling bidders in my estate auction many years from now.

Somewhere in Iowa overlooking the Mississippi River and peeking into Wisconsin:
    [​IMG]

Somewhere you might recognize near the Tennessee/North Carolina border... :evil Sorry about the half inch of daylight between the centerstand and the road -- it had just stopped raining and I was being more conservative than usual:
    [​IMG]
  11. Humungus

Humungus no it doesn't

Oddometer:
    Well she is almost a GS. Owned it for 20 years & its still in the shed.

[​IMG]
    ErikMotoMan likes this.
  12. drhach

drhach We can't stop here, this is bat country!!

Oddometer:
    Any updates on the resurrection of the GSresources forum?
  13. flinders_72

flinders_72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    This pic was taken back when it was only a few years old but it still looks like this. I haven't ridden it for 19 years and it's sitting in my brother's garage waiting for me to do something with it. It's a GSX750EX.

[​IMG]
  14. kruzuki

kruzuki Gear in the Machine

Oddometer:
    I love Suzuki GS's
    I've had the following:
    -'78 GS400 (in '79, my second bike)
    -2 different '78 GS550's (one in 1980; then I restored one in 2004 for my GF who then crashed it the first time she rode it!)
    -'77 GS 750 (restoration project in 1995)
    -'80 GS850L (in 1990, for 3 years, the longest I've ever owned a bike)
    -'84 GS1150EF (in 1994, last of the big air-cooled GS's when the GSXR came out. The 1150EF was fully-faired, not sold in U.S.- suckers!!)
    They are all bulletproof, (except for the cheesy screws) & styled just right.
  15. RedRocket

RedRocket Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer:

Go dig it out! I've been commuting on this one, that recently got rusurected this summer. 40mpg!

[​IMG]
  16. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    Ha! I borrowed one of these and rode it like I stole it up and down the coast to Portland from Chico,had a blown out 4 into 1 pipe and sounded cool all spun up.Comfortable seat and ran great.
  17. solo suzuki

solo suzuki oldskool fool

Oddometer:
    last friday...'82 GS1100E
    [​IMG]
  18. bulldog1980

bulldog1980 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My dad bought me a (not sure year) GS1100GK thing was huge with the fairing (with square light) and bags. He only paid $500 for it it was a sweet bike. I have to admit after almost dumping it twice I was scared of it and sold it for I think $1200. I wish I had that bike now that I have put some miles under my belt
  19. Readymeal

Readymeal Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Do you know what happened?

I hope someone backed up the database...

If it s a free host they are looking for... i can do that for sure.
  20. ADK

ADK .

Oddometer:
    The GS Resources is back online.:thumb