Gypsy by heart2

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Elenore, Nov 2, 2012.

1. Elenore

Elenore Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG][​IMG]Gypsy by heart II
    4000 k’s Germany, Autria, Italy, Slowenia, Croatia
    Here I go again:
    After the 9000 k’s from 2010 ( Gypsy by heart ), I did only little tours/rides in 2011 – nothing to talk about.
    But this years spring braught some changes.
    I fell in love and now I don’t have to ride allone anymore. Hans-Dieter, my boyfriend rides an AfricaTwin RD 07a – a younger model than my old lady.
  2. horsti

horsti Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi Elenore !
    I am totaly in :D

P.s. Nice evening, last ST-Meeting:wave
  3. Elenore

Elenore Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :D Mann bist du schnell!!!
    Help please ... I can't attache pics... how come? It worked on gypsy by heart1!!!
  4. horsti

horsti Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi !
    I am from the fast troup :lol3

Actually following Colbatch´s trip:thumb
  5. Elenore

Elenore Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Friends of ours wanted to sail one week through the mediterrian sea. Therefor they flew to Croatia – Pula.
    Because next year I plan to ride from Anchorage/Alaska to Ushuaia/Argentinia ( Hans-Dieter will be able to get 4 months free, so he can accompany me from LA / USA to arround Peru), I wanted this year to do some riding to test the mashines, camping gear, boyfriend ( :D ) etc.
    Therefor we wanted to go by bike to croatia and back again.
    [​IMG]
  6. Elenore

Elenore Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In my opinion vacation starts in the moment when you pack your bike. I just love that time. Thinking through all stuff you need to pack, thinking the way through how to put he weight on your bike…
    All right we started Friday morning from a region in Germany which is called „Westerwald“ – middle region of Germany, heading south. It was cold, it was raining, but our mood was great, since we had three weeks vacation to go.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  7. Elenore

Elenore Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The more we came south, the better the weather was getting. Late afternoon we arrived in Nürnberg, at my aunts house, where we could stay the night. My aunt and my uncle are very warm hearted people and so we had a wonderfull night with barbeques and good talks.
    [​IMG]
  8. Elenore

Elenore Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Next morning the sun was shining and after a wonderfull breakfast we got started towards the borderline between Germany and Austria. We stayed at a hostel which was still in Germany, and went to see Salzburg, a city wich is allready Austria and also a city, that means a lot to us as a couple. The way to Ainring brought a suprise turn, because there was a marathon going on we had to go on gravel/dirt tracks...:)
    [​IMG]
  9. Elenore

Elenore Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    After a wonderfull night in Salzburg we went through the Alps using passes which a farely wellknown. And forgive me, I do not want to insult riders liking that area, but in my opinion passes like "Großglockner" suck!! There are so many "posers" using that street, that riding and/or enjoying the nature is for the cause of so many bikers with very little skills - overrating their capabilities - impossible. And on top of that all they take 22 Euros for crawling up that hill and down again. I hated it!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Only a few k's later my mood was getting better and better 'cause we found some Passes and surroundings which were not so well known and therefor very low frequent. Beautyfull "Staller Sattel"

[​IMG]
    All girls like my golden crossboots!!!:D[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  10. Schelbi

Schelbi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's not a RD04 but still acceptable:D

Just kidding :rofl

More pics please :clap
  11. Elenore

Elenore Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    At lunchtime we stopped for a break. At a little river with a wonderfull bank. We refreshed in the water and took a nap at the bank...nothing beats travelling with no time pressure.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That night we found a little campground - allready on Italy terretory. After building up our tent and getting some food in our stomaches we layed down hearing some thunders far far away. Since the heaven was absolutly clear with stars shining we didn't rally care to much. Stupid mistake!!! At midnight the world seemed to break apart! Weather in the alps can change very fast!!!
    We were lucky, that the sun was out in the morning again. So we could pack an almost dry tent in the morning.
    [​IMG]
  12. Elenore

Elenore Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The new day lead us direction Garda sea (largo di garda). On that way you drive throug fruit plantages and little mountainsites ... wonderfull landscapes!!!! There are so many little lakes and rivers - very nice!!
    [​IMG]

That day was great riding!! Millions of switchbacks... little lakes... sun..... ahhhhhhh:rofl

The night we stayed at a friends house in Dro - a little town near Arco/ Riva del Garda.
    It's always nice to spend time with friends!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  13. Elenore

Elenore Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Next day we headed direction Slowenia. The night we spend still in Italy at another great camping ground in Rocca. After we built up our tent two guys on Ducatis came and built up their tent next to ours. We had a great fun night talking about travelling and riding bikes.
    Unfortunately I had to much beer, so the next morning I wasn't feeling to well.

[​IMG]
    :freaky
    :puke2

It took me some time to get ready the next day!
    From Rocca on to the slovenien borderline the italien landscape isn't really pretty. But riding your bike is not only for the nature, the curves... it's also because of the people you meet! We already were riding quiet some time. It was really hot! The sun was shining... it was arround 46 degrees celsius ( should be arrond 114 degrees farenheit). We had to have very many little stops to relax in the shades and to drink gallons of water.[​IMG]

Near by Triest we stopped by al little café - at a very heavy used street - lots of cars, trucks... it really didn't look pretty, but the coffee was great, the people soooooo friendly. The lady who served us the coffee proably only knew two german words. They were "Fräulein" and "schön" she repeated them in every sentence she said, smiling to us with very little teeth in her mouth.
    [​IMG]
  14. RonS

RonS Out there...

Oddometer:
    Great picture. I rode around the Lago de Garda and north 2 years ago but I don't remember seeing that scene. Where was the shot taken?
  15. marty hill

marty hill The Energizer Bunny

Oddometer:
    I rode around lago di garda this june. Don't remember that area either. Very nice.
  16. Elenore

Elenore Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    @ marty hill and RonS: The picture you are referring to is "Lago Molveno" a lake near by Lago di Garda. Molveno is in the north of Riva del Garda, west of Trento. Arround of Lago di Garda are hundreds of little lakes - some of than fairly unknown and therfore wonderfull empty. My favourit in that area are Lago di Lagolo and Lago Santo, both north/east of Lago di Garda.
    The only picture wich was taken at Lago di Garda is this:
    [​IMG]
  17. marty hill

marty hill The Energizer Bunny

Oddometer:
    Thank you.
  18. HaDiHu

HaDiHu n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi everybody.........
    this is Hans-Dieter and I like to tell you something, too. :D
    It is so great to travel with Julia and I think after one week together on our bikes we are shure that all our stuff, including our bikes (and more....) are ready for the great adevnture in 2013. Julia is so wonderfull and we had lots of fun. :raabia

After one week we arrived the south point of the peninsula "Istrien" near Pula. Blue water, nice "roads" and friends waiting to us......and a week on a sailing boat.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and you know what happens if you are driving to fast thruogh a switch back? Lots of FUN!!!!!! :wings

[​IMG]
  19. Elenore

Elenore Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ok ... this is about riding your bike! I know! But since we rode to Croatia to go sailing, I'll at least show some pics :1drink!!!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sailing was great! We were on a 44 ft boat with 7 persons. Great fun, great time, great weather....
    And when we started to sail, we didn't really know where to put oure packed bikes for one week... the Croations showed us how friendly they were with bikers. Usually it cost you 100 Euros to leave your car at the marina for one week. We were hoping, that we could put our bikes on one of the parkingslot and therefore only pay 100 Euro for two bikes. They thought us better: People from Croatia like bikers - they told us to pass next to the bar and just park our bikes almost next to the boats...we didn't have to pay nothing and our bikes were save for the week. Thank you Croatia!!!
  20. izzyblue

izzyblue Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi

Ich bin so glucklich das sie verliebt Sind. Wir Lebin in Ventura, California andwurden Unser vergnugen sein,sie fur das mittagessen or a beer kommen zu lassen...Prost,

Sorry my German sucks...they can take the girl out of Germany but they can't take the German out of the girl!

Have fun...

~ Nancy

A Roadie in motion