US Street Motorcycle - lack of mid-displacement bikes and standards

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by jas67, Dec 26, 2011.

1. Grainbelt

Grainbelt marginal adventurer

Oddometer:
    This looks like a lot of fun:

:loco
  2. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bonneville is a Standard :D
  3. Grainbelt

Oddometer:
    Bonneville on the right, shadow RS on the left, some HD piece of shit :D in the middle.

[​IMG]

If moving the footpegs back an inch is that big of a deal, ride on the balls of your feet instead of your heels. :dunno

Fuck me, this just isn't that complicated or interesting of a debate. The perpetual semantics and shouting, in this thread and the HD ones, is tiresome as hell. Go 'play' in CSM if this is your idea of 'fun'.
  4. kraven

kraven GoPro Anti-Hero Supporter

Oddometer:
    Werd.

I don't get it either, Grainbelt.
  5. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here become enlightened. http://cycle-ergo.com/

an inch. :rofl

In your own picture. from left to right. Mid, Mid, Standard. (Chair feet ahead/ Chair feet ahead /Feet under)

Nice ignorant HD bashing dig. The more you type the more stupid you appear.
  6. jas67

jas67 Long timer

Oddometer:
    If it is anything like cars, where each body/drivetrain combo has to go through a very expensive EPA certification, including even things like 2 door vs. 4 door vs. wagon of the same car model with the same engine/transmission, then I would definitely understand keeping the number of models & engine combos to a minimum.

It isn't that they wouldn't sell at all, it is just that the wouldn't sell enough to pay for the certification, and would take sales away form other models.

If you don't sell any higher of units TOTAL, by bringing a new model (because the sales of that new model can compete with other models of the same make), then it is a net loss, due to the extra certification costs.

This is unfortunate for the minority that don't want what the mainstream wants -- for example, look at the dwindling availability of car models with an available manual transmission.

Back to mid-displacement engine size. I should have posted it as "mid-weight" bikes. Someone commented about a 650cc model that was sleeved to be a 400 or 450 to sell in a market with drastically higher fees or taxes on the larger displacement bikes. Well, even thought it is a 400 (or 450), it still has the weight of the larger bike. Look at the 883 Sportster. It weighs a porky 530 lbs, only about 30 lbs. shy of the 1200.

I guess I'm saying (and I think I'm not alone), I don't want a 530 + lbs cruiser, or cruiser-styled bike. I also don't want a lay-down on the tank sport bike, or even lots of fairings that are expensive to fix/replace when the bike gets dropped. I like/want a naked standard. I'm glad that Moto Guzzi makes the V7, it is a 430 lb (wet) naked standard with decent power, and I am very happy with it. It would be nice to see more bikes that fit that niche, that is all. I can't be the only person that ones that type of bike, or for that matter wants a non-sport bike that fits somewhere between the 250 "beginner bikes: and 530+ lb 900c and larger class cruiser.

The Suzuki S40 fits the bill form the displacement, hp, and weight standpoint, but it is a cruiser. If they made it in a standard, it'd be a great bike. Look at the following the TU250X is getting on this forum. There is a several hundred page thread on the TU250X. Many of the people there would buy a TU500X or TU650X if Suzuki offered it.

But, alas, as has been hashed out earlier in this thread, the mfgs, have to go for the majority.

It's been a fun thread though, eh :huh
  7. kraven

kraven GoPro Anti-Hero Supporter

Oddometer:
  8. Grainbelt

Oddometer:
    Beware the motorcycle forum during winter. :vardy
  9. chiefrider

chiefrider Chrome won't get you home

Oddometer:
    Motard!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    449 or 511

[​IMG]

Snappy, torquey thumpers, very light weight, sportbike wheels and rubber!
    Fantastic street bikes.

Tom in Salem
  10. jas67

jas67 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Cool site -- if they have accurate data.
  11. Tom327Cat

Tom327Cat T-Dub rider

Oddometer:
    I could only dream of a TW450, but if it ever happened I would sell my Versys for a loss to acquire. Might as well sell the 'ol homestead too, because all I would ever want to do is be out riding that bike.
    I don't mean to disrespect the Versys here, on the highway or a long stretch of two-lane it is seven league boots, but there are too many turns you can't take for it to be the bike of my dreams.
    On a related note I was riding my VS this year with a group where I had the smallest displacement, most bikes had twice the displacement of my VS . The two who didn't had highly modified liter bikes. Those two could pull away from me whenever they wanted, but they couldn't stay away. The bigger bikes, mostly cruisers, kept right up, but didn't pull to the front. This is anecdotal, I know, but I do not see what more displacement buys for you.
  12. Grainbelt

Oddometer:
    The big smilie was your clue that I was kidding. Like I said before, you don't appear to be having 'fun'. May be time for a switch to decaf, or maybe toss off a load before you log on. :dunno
  13. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:

Here you go.

[​IMG]

:lol3

I am only jesting in part. It seems that almost every bike sold is in need of some modifications. Seats, Suspension, bars,.... I think we should all just accept the fact that whatever we buy we will need to make it our own.
  14. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Our funny bones are out of synch. :lol3

I use cap instead of bold and you read my posts wrong.:dunno
    When reading my posts read them as if we were sitting at a beer garden and it is all good natured banter. I assure you were we in such a scenario you would see that I do not take offence nor do I mean to offend.

It's all good.
    :freaky
  15. Kbetts

Kbetts Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, they'd never sell.....

yamaha sr400

[​IMG]

Kawasaki W800

[​IMG]

Honda CB1100F

[​IMG]
  16. IRideASlowBike

IRideASlowBike Banned

Oddometer:
    To say that an 800 is "mid-size" is pushing it, but an 1100 inline 4 is definitely not a mid size.
  17. Grainbelt

Oddometer:
    The smallest bikes are 250s. The biggest ones are over two liters.
    A 250 single makes perhaps 20 hp. The ZX-14 puts out almost 200.

We live in an age where the 100hp, 450lb bike is rather pedestrian.
  18. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:

I would love to see ALL of those for sale here. :nod

The Yamaha might even make a go of it with the Hipster movement.

Sad as it is I agree. There are so many 50hp bikes that are great to ride too... I really like the Moto Guzzi V7's but they are not going to win any performance awards other than a citation from a LEO.
  19. IRideASlowBike

IRideASlowBike Banned

Oddometer:

Yes, but isn't this thread about the absence of 300-500 cc standard bikes?
  20. Grainbelt

Oddometer:
    I thought it was about people not realizing that 650 twins and detuned 600 fours are the new middleweights, all while wringing their hands and bemoaning the demise of bikes that were never that great to begin with.

But I could be off on that a bit. :dunno