Carb Diaphram Repair Successful!!

Discussion in 'Old's Cool' started by xtphreak, Oct 3, 2004.

1. xtphreak

xtphreak from B4 "adventure bikes" Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ok boyz & girlz it's time for another episode of the Cheap Bastid, alias PennyTech Ryder, The Duct Tape Kid, TyWrap Willy.

Today's show is entitled "Patch That Diaphram"

First,
    Rip Em Out, the carbs that is ...
    [​IMG]

Here's the problem ...
    investigation shows it was patched before I got the bike
    [​IMG]

Super Duper All Purpose 200 mph Patching material
    [​IMG]

little itty bitty patch
    [​IMG]

HighTech / Top Secret Elastomeric Coating ...
    cures to a flexible vinyl
    [​IMG]

the applicator is TOOOO BIG
    [​IMG]

so I improvise a smaller one
    [​IMG]

coat the patch ... going about a 1/16" beyond the edges
    [​IMG]

back side too
    [​IMG]
    Done ... and the color matches too!!

Float bowl Modification

The &^%**$ phillips head screws SUCK!!!!!
    You can't get to the inside two with the carb installed,
    so I replaced them with 4mm X 30 mm socket head screws,
    double nutted & loctited at the same length
    I can hold these and start them easily with the carb installed
    & a 3mm allen wrench fits under there easier than a short screwstick
    [​IMG]

Replaced the diaphram cover screws too ...
    the one long one is under the frame gusset
    [​IMG]
  2. KL5A

KL5A Bugs are the new black

Oddometer:
    Eggsellent!

Now, you may want to test that a bit before comitting to a ride to BFE, but it doesn't get much better than that. Beats the heck out of OTC OEM prices anyday. :thumb
  3. R-dubb

R-dubb Dubbious Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nice job phreaky,

So happens, I had my KLX out for a weekend trail ride. The bastard has a CV carb on it and doesn't like being put through the ice crusher. The vacuum piston jumps up and down on big bumps and punched a hole in the diaphram (corner of the piston contacts diaphram at the top of it's travel). We had to bail on the ride. Tried to fix the fucker on the trail with tape, but gas disolves the stick-um and it only works for a short time.

Your repair is just what the doctor ordered.

The real solution, however, is to get rid of that lousey vacuum buullshit and put a real pumper in there! That's what I'm doing. CV's just won't stand up to trail abuse, IMO. (Yours looks like it doesn't have the same problem though. Mine has a flat slide to each side of the piston. The corner of the slide is what did the damage.)

:dj
    R-dubb
  4. xtphreak

Oddometer:
    thought it'd be worth while to take a few pics and post it ... someone might need the diaphram fix or the old synapses might close while looking at it and a solution to something completely different might pop out.

the longer bolt idea was frustration at the original design ...
    I freely modify to my advantage ...
    hell I'm the one on the trail trying to get some crud outta the main jet ... damned if I want to pull the battery, break loose the airbox, pull the carbs just to do that ...
    this way I can drop the float bowl, unscrew the jet, replace it in 5 minutes or so.

I wasn't sure about the longevity of this repair so I figured the diaphram cover was another likely spot for an easy removal.

It's been working for a week now, about 700 miles ... the good thing is if it fails, I just lose topend ... my "extra" carb doesn't kick in

thinking really hard about a pair of mechanical carbs tho ... simple is good

kinda miss my old XT500 for that ... one carb, plug in float bowl to drain, clean, change jet, 2 valves I can adjust, 1 plug and points ... deadly simple.

PS I got the liquid tape at Home Depot
  5. motu

motu Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer:
    I can't see any pictures there,if there are any....? apparently the manifold from the YFM600 Grizzly fits,it takes the same 40mm carb as a DR650 and is jetted about right.This is from an SRX600 site,but if you got annoyed enough with the twin carbs it could be the way to go.
  6. xtphreak

Oddometer:
    check your browser settings ... right click Show Pictures .... sorry they're there for me .. still sitting on my web site

the 1 into 2 manifold is interesting ... I never had the low throttle problems on my old XT500 with one carb I kept hearing about

I'd have to get inventive tho for the airbox side 'cause eachcarb gets a hose ... they split around the monoshock ... be tricky to run one, but thanks for the input..