nwgs motorhome addiction and therapy thread

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by nwgs, May 20, 2009.

1. PirateJohn

PirateJohn Banned

Oddometer:

One has to learn a bit. It's funny ... I've owned several houses but never had any interest in maintaining them. Now that I have a funky middle-aged RV I prefer to do all the work myself that I can in order to make sure that it gets done right. :lol3

But you are right there about getting the things on the road regularly. Girlfriend and I were having that talk yesterday since we want to settle in a bit in Texas for a year or two. We need to do something to keep this thing 100% roadworthy, whether it's constantly moving around the border areas, taking vacations, or just firing it up and driving every so often.
  2. wannaklr

wannaklr Long timer

Oddometer:
    Can I borrow it, and a gas card? :lol3
  3. Mini Trail

Mini Trail n°°b

Oddometer:
  4. PirateJohn

PirateJohn Banned

Oddometer:

Man to my heart!

Someone here NEEDS to hit the Lotto ... and share it with the rest of us. :lol3
  5. PirateJohn

PirateJohn Banned

Oddometer:

What's the asking price?

There are plenty of units like that around. They may not be for everyone (read: "families with 20 dogs") but for a person or two they are probably quite fine.

If you are serious then PM me and I'll give you a guided tour around Elvis' Very Own RV Park :lol3
  6. hateithere

hateithere anytime now

Oddometer:
    There was a great bus convert on E-bay a while back it had a honda 600 coupe that rolled into a storage space under the bus,I think it was an Eagle
  7. nwgs

nwgs Jesus Saves

Oddometer:

Looks like a good deal, probably pick it up for $9999. But it's cheap cause there are jillions of them it has no tipout and it's small.
    If it fits your needs sounds like a good deal. PPL has tons of great deals.
    :thumb
  8. Chopperman

Chopperman Hostile. But not Stupid

Oddometer:
  9. PirateJohn

PirateJohn Banned

Oddometer:

The ad at PPL lists the unit at $11,995. I agree that at some point between $10K and $12K it's not a bad deal at all, assuming there are no major systems out of order.
  10. Mini Trail

Mini Trail n°°b

Oddometer:
    If there were jillions of them I wouldn't even be considering the blue interior. I think the double bed must be a sales killer. I wish there were more places like PPL that list actual prices and have those great diagrams.
  11. PirateJohn

PirateJohn Banned

Oddometer:

You would be surprised at how many of these things were built with double beds. Ours was, and the previous owners paid over $20K to remodel it to a queen bed. :lol3

The real answer as to why that unit is so cheap is simply that it's a basic unit and it doesn't have slideouts. Which isn't a big deal if you don't need those things.

It also doesn't have a generator as far as I can tell, so you might want to factor that in.
  12. Mr. J

Mr. J Banned

Oddometer:
  13. NomadRip

NomadRip Always a n00b

Oddometer:
  14. NomadRip

NomadRip Always a n00b

Oddometer:
    I love the old-style buses like some of those. This guy who currently lives in a Taj Mahal new-style bus, is planning on going to a vintage. He bought the big'un as his first one when he decided to go full-time Nomadic. He went over a lot of his issues and reasoning why he is changing after several years of being in the Taj here.
  15. PirateJohn

PirateJohn Banned

Oddometer:

Oh man. Some really neat things. Thanks!

There was a tractor trailer over in the Elvis Presley parking lot yesterday that was advertising yurts for sale or lease:

[​IMG]

And let's not get on the subject of modular housing made out of ISO containers ... :cry

If I knew what I know now I would never have invested so much money in all the houses that I have owned over the years. :cry
  16. nwgs

nwgs Jesus Saves

Oddometer:

No shit, I want to hear more on this subject,

Serious. :ear
  17. NomadRip

NomadRip Always a n00b

Oddometer:
    Stephanie is becoming a great resource for various types of small homes. Whether Yurts, container homes, trailer tiny houses or whatever, she has been making her blog into a collection of small-structure options lately. She lives on a floating home she just finished (okay, she's still working on it a bit) on the Columbia river up there by you in Portland. But she is very plugged into the small-home scene, and there are a lot of options. Most of them originate from your neck o' the woods, it seems.

Steph's blog - Coming Unmoored
  18. RedRocker

RedRocker Native Texican Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wish list, if I hit the lotto I'd get one of these.
    [​IMG]

If I hit a big scratchoff I'd go for one of these.

[​IMG]

We have this now, but leave it on our property in
    the country.
    [​IMG]

19. PirateJohn

PirateJohn Banned

Oddometer:

Don't halfway know where to start. Nomad probably has the best site and info at this point.

The subject would be easily movable housing, and over the years there has been a ton of proposals, all of which have met with mixed success.

I don't know much about yurts but Bosswoman's eyes lit up when I mentioned this thread and yurts so I need to do some research.

No one seems to sell Bedouin-style tents in the USA. Some of those things in the Middle East are truly luxurious.

Container housing has been discussed for years and is a pet project of many architects. ISO housing proposals come in a wide variety of designs from the 320 sq. ft. single container house that has been proposed that you can ship around the planet as you move from job to job, to the genuinely expensive and grandiose like Kalkin's 12 Container House.

Google "Adam Kalkin" for the really fancy stuff and Containerbay at "http://www.fabprefab.com/fabfiles/containerbayhome.htm" for a comprehensive list of other projects.

This is the 12 Container House:

[​IMG]
  20. NomadRip

NomadRip Always a n00b

Oddometer:
    This place is near you someplace. They are pretty much the authority on Yurts. http://www.yurts.com/