Go Sportsters

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Bloodweiser, Dec 20, 2010.

1. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @motopossum Super Moderator

Oddometer:

That's sick!! :tb
  2. HapHazard

HapHazard Be Kind - Rewind

Oddometer:
    ^That giant carbon fiber heat shield dominates the bike!

Put a couple of small ventilated shields on it, and it's nearly perfect.
  3. TheOtherBart

TheOtherBart Long timer

Oddometer:
    Or even better, shape a square numberplate over it. And is it just me or could those pipes stand to come up a little higher in the back?

But that's just nitpicky shit, it's a gorgeous bike. I've wanted a streettracker for a long time and that one's just about perfect.
  4. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thumbs down? Really? You know not of what you speak. The bike has been given the Stegmann treatment. I am sure that several of the bikes in this thread have performance parts designed and manufatured buy him. :1drink
    The owner wanted it to look stock.
  5. bringenufgun

bringenufgun Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    do you want to sell the supertrapps?
  6. gusanito

gusanito Mindless Wonderer

Oddometer:
    No, I'm holding on to them.
  7. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    davyjones likes this.
  8. thatdirtykid

thatdirtykid Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I hardly noticed it, I did however notice the headlight which I do not love. Beautiful bike regardless.
  9. thatdirtykid

thatdirtykid Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I hardly noticed it, I did however notice the headlight which I do not love. Beautiful bike regardless.

I also prefer smaller shields, this was what I did with mine. Wish I had the bike still. (And money to put a super bike bars on it)

[​IMG]
    davyjones likes this.
  10. zap2504

zap2504 Dave E.

Oddometer:
    This is the CRD #21 from EXIF Bikes (http://www.bikeexif.com/harley-xl1200#more-14909). I don't normally like H-Ds (not enough seat height/ergo triangle space for me) but I REALLY like this custom. Wish more detail build info was available (like wheel source, rear shock length, rear frame mods, etc.).
  11. Eye of the Tiger

Eye of the Tiger Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Here is my 2008 Sportsternightsterster. ster.
    I made the luggage rack by welding up some basic mild steel from the hardware store. I can fit my top case and soft tail bag on top of it, good enough that I don't really need saddle bags.
    The fog lights are mounted on a totally stylish piece of angle iron, which in turn is mounted to the forks with some even more stylish exhaust clamps.
    I put some more foam in the seat to ease the butt pains, but it still kinda sucks.
    Otherwise, it's just stock and is basically like new.
    In the future, I will surely be changing out the rear shocks with something with more than 1" of travel, and some more ride height so I can actually go around turns without coming to a complete stop.
    A better seat, slightly lower/narrower handlebars, and highway pegs would make it all right.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    davyjones likes this.
  12. Aghartha

Aghartha Idiot

Oddometer:
    Bike Exif is just a blog. Cafe Racer Dreams built the bike. Check with them if you want more info (I'm on a phone and lazy).
  13. wannaklr

wannaklr Long timer

Oddometer:
    Total cost would be nice as well. :lol3
  14. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:

That is as close to a good looking HD that I've seen. Even with low pipes, it would look good. Why isn't this the standard bike?
  15. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Because every time they get remotely close to this with a production bike the sales numbers do not meet expectations. They will generally do a 3-4 year run then discontinue it.

People in mags and on forums say how they would buy if... Then they are nowhere to be found when it is produced. :deal
  16. Randy

Randy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oh, IDK...

I think that many people that say they would buy this bike would. Trouble is, we are still a very small minority when it comes to total sales figures for a company like the MoCo. While I LOVE it, it just doesn't have the mass market appeal in an industry that is steeped in "tradition" and fashion.

But, just looking at it, it doesn't appear to be something that would be too difficult to replicate.... Pick up a used Nightster, or similar... Chop off the fender struts and weld a frame loop on, add a fender, custom build a seat pan and get it upholstered, lace 17" aluminum rims to the stock hubs, longer shocks, rearsets, tank, and some misc. tidbits here and there. And judging from the angle of the lower frame rails I'd say they didn't do much, if anything to the front end other than the rim and fender. They even retained the stock brakes on this one. Be a nice winter project and I would think that a reasonable facsimile could be built for substantially less than it would sell for if the MoCo produced it.

Hmmmm.... those pics are going in my "inspiration folder" for sure! :evil

:1drink
  17. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    I like it a lot as well. Have you seen this on? Not as classic but it looks like fun.
    [​IMG]
    davyjones likes this.
  18. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:

I recall the latest XR1200 debacle but a pure standard base bike could be in the $8k range, not compete with 13k bikes. Eh, who am I kidding? Every one I wanted to like was just too heavy and expensive or cobbled together. The 883R was one I tried to like till I sat on it.

That looks like a great way for them to hit the true standard market.
  19. R59

R59 they call me Rocker

Oddometer:
    The tank appears to be a 1990s vintage STORZ aluminum "road race" fuel tank.

I had one. Nice tank.
  20. Randy

Randy Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

According to the CRD SITE, it is a Storz alloy tank.

[​IMG]

Not sure if it's exactly the same or not, but there are several tank options available that could be used for a similar build.

:1drink