PennyTech shop/garage improvements

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Ricardo Kuhn, Feb 9, 2013.

1. Ricardo Kuhn

Ricardo Kuhn a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Oddometer:
    Minneapolis (don't even ask how i end up here.
    Here is a simple example..
    [​IMG]

You only need a holesaw, some scrap wood and you are set to go, I made holes in three different sizes, "glue tubes" (on the left) spray cans and then holes for bigger size can (not shown)..
    [​IMG]

I used the retaining wall as the "stop" for the tubes, but you can just use a second piece of wood or even the wall.
    [​IMG]

All utilizing the "wasted" (angled) space underneath the work bench
    [​IMG]

I have a few other projects but I need to take pictures of them..

Well share your wonderworks now.. :ricky
  2. Ricardo Kuhn

Oddometer:
    Okay so my little workshop is kind of strange with a big piece of concrete as one of the corners, the wall is about 3 1/2' tall and about 4' deep so I have from that height to the ceiling to be used for storage..

Note: the first few pictures are old but explain better how the structures where build..

Basically I used the longest drawer slide that I can find (24" long) and set them on the "open" position when the "Cubes" are closed..
    [​IMG]

And then when the cubes are extend it, the drawer slides hold all the loads.
    [​IMG]

To help the none supported side of the cube I used ONE Skateboard wheel (No need for two)
    [​IMG]

I have hold up to about a 100pounds and they slide just fine, the only short coming is the "small" opening do to the length of the drawer slides at 24''
    [​IMG]

I build 5 of this Cubes, and here is how they look today.
    [​IMG]
  3. slackmeyer

slackmeyer Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer:
    Here's some drawer slides available up to 28", they're a good price for what they are. They also have drawer slides up to 36" elsewhere on the site, but those get up into the $300 range.

Speaking of drawer slides and shop garage improvements, I have a small garage that is functioning as bike and motorcycle storage as well as a woodworking shop. The one area I could expand out into was the adjacent crawlspace- so I have big plywood boxes that go either 4 or 8 feet (different places) back into the crawlspace, about 3' tall, and 40" wide. The 8 foot box is lumber storage, One 4' box stores all my extra motorcycle wheels at the back, and the front part is my drill press and electrical parts, the other 4' box stores lumber and metals at the bottom, and the top is 28" deep drawers for shop chemicals like oils, paints, solvents, lubricants, etc. It's a work in progress, but it gives me a lot of extra space. I'll get some pictures when I can.
  4. kirkster70

kirkster70 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Very cool! I love threads like this!

With a little thought, you can make anything you want. Homemade is the best! :clap Good job!
  5. Ricardo Kuhn

Oddometer:
    Come on share your projects, I'm sure many of you have custom made things of of necessity and full of clever ideas..

Let see them
  6. Ricardo Kuhn

Oddometer:
    Okay here is another one, not as PennyTech but who really cares..

So I have this massive sander and not really a space to place it on the floor, So I got my big ass drill and made two holes on the concrete wall, insert lag bolts (made a mistake measuring first) Then used a big aluminum angle that I got for free.
    [​IMG]

The problem was to how to make it into a "Cantilever" structure, well easy, first I made a block of wood of the same dimensions as the base of the sander and bolt it all together.
    [​IMG]

To hold the whole thing together from bending/falling down I just used a 2x4 in compression, yeah is not bolted, glue or anything and is been working great for the last three years since I install it.
    [​IMG]

But enough about my project, now is time to show your own..
  7. Ricardo Kuhn

Oddometer:
    Come on guys 800 views and almost no comments, please share your projects and ideas with the rest of us...:freaky
  8. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    Needed a specific sized shelf, made it out of unistrut, wood and VCT:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Not as creative, or tallented, as Ricky, but it does the job!

Jim :brow
  9. kirkster70

Oddometer:
    at the risk of sounding verrrry stupid, what is VCT? vinyl coated....?
  10. Ricardo Kuhn

Oddometer:

Thanks for sharing senor Jim, but do remember your garage is really well organize and efficient, when mine is a mess "in progress" (reason why I want to learn more tricks to make it better)

Here is another really simple one.

Old road bike Kevlar tire to make a simple "bike stand" it works great, in fact I have a "real" bike stand that almost never use since this works so well.
    [​IMG]

Two hooks if I want the bike not to rotate, one hook if I want to spin the bike (normal check ups after riding, etc)
    [​IMG]
  11. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    Vynle Composition Tile. Same as I used on my floor, and is commonly used in industrial applications.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. kirkster70

Oddometer:
    Ahhhh...so you used a plywood substrate then? Very nice my friend!
  13. Ricardo Kuhn

Oddometer:
    Oh I need to do something with my floor one of this days, I try epoxy on on side but I run out of resin..

When it gets a little warmer I'm going to make my self one of this to stand on, more than anything because is fun but also very comfortable.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Doggies love it I'm sure I will do too.
    [​IMG]

Many more Pictures HERE
  14. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    Thanks! Next time it will be porcelain tile. It is tougher and less maintenance. My goal on the floor was just to make it easier to clean than concrete, and keep the dust down!

15. Rafiki

Rafiki Some Dude

Oddometer:
    Fucking awesome re-purpose!!
  16. gunnabuild1

gunnabuild1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Damn just checked out your photo's of the mat,Seeing I've been been riding my pushbike to work for 6 or so years and only swapped the tyres, front to rear to even the wear last month it's going to take a looong time to have enough old tyres to make a mat.They Sharpei's in the back of the wagon?
  17. Ricardo Kuhn

Oddometer:
    Well is call "Have Many friends at Many shops", besides I don't even like road bikes so I will take me forever to collect them..

Here is another Mat that I made long time ago, this time made of Mountain bike tires.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Detail of the corners.
    [​IMG]

More Photos HERE
    Yeah sadly the "Blond" one Faith dye a few months ago, is actually sad for me to see pictures of her, she was so great..:cry
  18. Ricardo Kuhn

Oddometer:
    Actually I build my counters in a very pennytech kind of way out of necessity since the shop walls turn into a 45deggre angle from about 3' feet high..

I start by drilling into the concrete with my massive percussion drill, then install a 2x4 "header" (about 3 1/2' high) and start to build the structure from there, the rest is all hold from that 2x4.

I have "diagonal columns" at about 3' intervals to make the whole structure super sturdy, in fact I have stand on the counters many times and it does not move at all..
    [​IMG]

Here is a over all view of the counters, sorry I don't have more current pictures of this parts, but you get the idea...
    [​IMG]
  19. Ricardo Kuhn

Oddometer:
    This is another very simple use of resources, big halogen reflector from one of does pedestal lamps that everybody used to have (and burn many houses too) and a old cheap tripod.

The idea is to use the corner (but it can be use on a flat wall too) to minimize the amount of wasted space and also use the legs of the tripod to locate the lamp head wherever you need it to be, even pointing into the corner (sorry I don't have a picture of that.)
    [​IMG]

At the "corner" on the current shop, not wasting any space on my busy walls.
    [​IMG]

The light in use as today, great light spread, even it it produce really drastic shadows..
    [​IMG]
  20. huzar

huzar Pastor of Muppets

Oddometer:
    Great thread :thumb

Too bad I don't have a garage :cry