Mar. 28-31, 2013 Death Valley Noob's Rally

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest & whatever' started by nsfw, Nov 15, 2012.

1. nsfw

nsfw Death Valley Noobs Rally Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    QUOTE=ricksca;20108342]OK, I put up a post that said I wanted in. I see my name has been added to the list. Now what? Is that it? Do I need to register somewhere? Give someone some money? Just show up? Or?[/QUOTE]

yeah i reckon, many peeps are asking me too.

i don't really want to have a lot of cash before the xmas holiday, you'll know it if i show up on a brand new ktm305exc-f......:lol3

seriously, i'll get something out soon. been busy working on 2 dead bikes, planning my next trip (baja after xmas) and getting ready for the xmas holiday; then there's work and exercising self control (not to abuse my internet access at the office).

:nod yes everything people need to know will be on the first page

just not on top of this yet but will.

thanks russ.

the cost for this event will be similar to last year. we are trying to keep everything simple and affordable.
  2. nsfw

Oddometer:

hahaha.....i am sleeping in a bivy sack so no one gets ideas.....:rofl

sorry matt we're going to miss you on this one.

this is awesome!
    aaron sent me this yesterday. panamint springs at 38k feet
    [​IMG]
  3. jeepdude65

jeepdude65 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just an update for me. I will not be taking the toybox out that weekend since I am not sure if I can get the necessary days off on Easter week. I still plan on attending, but will probably truck in and camp. I'll keep watching the original post for updates. I plan on bringing my plated KTM 520 to ride. Thanks.

George
  4. Pomo

Pomo gonzo

Oddometer:
    I'm hoping to attend. Probably will arrive Thursday and leave Sunday morning. I'll be trucking in and camping with my KTM 450.
  5. tbarstow

tbarstow Two-wheelin' Fool Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was out and about in Death Valley today. Brush up on your sand/bouldering/rocks and tire changing skills in the next few months.
  6. tbarstow

Oddometer:
    Mengal Pass:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The jeepers have filled in most of the hard stuff that you could get hung up in. I went up it with no issues. From Barker Ranch out to the mouth of Goler Wash is really different. Lots of deep sand and larger loose rocks. A few new work arounds and a lot of dense vegetation.
  7. moe.ron

moe.ron Pig. Can. Fly.

Oddometer:
    UpST8 keeps telling me how often I will be crashing my bike, I dont like the sound of that. Should I just go tip it over in the driveway now?
  8. Cowgirl

Cowgirl I'll ride anything.

Oddometer:
  9. Scotty P

Scotty P Funny Like a Clown

Oddometer:
    Sweet...............I may need another sand lesson. :D
  10. Mr. G

Mr. G Normal Dude

Oddometer:
    Hi Joel

Count me IN for this. I need a full hookup RV spot. A 50' pull thru would be great but I'll work with whatever is available. Can help with food prep (full kitchen) and I know how to burn food ... :rofl

Gregg (Mr. G) - w/t/f/s/s/ - Ural Patrol - 3 dinners - RV Spot
  11. nsfw

Oddometer:
    wow....great to see someone from nm. you're going to love dv and the warmer spring weather.....:D

gregg, looking forward to see you again, been 5 long years.

lol, all rv spots are tucked on the edge of the campground.
  12. nsfw

Oddometer:

:huh

nice pics tim. what a transformation. last march, we hardly saw any big rock.

folks,you don't have to be an advanced rider, just some skills - you can do it. the ride to goler, barker ranch, mengle, butte valley, the cabins, etc. is worth doing.

even i can do it.....:D
    [​IMG]
  13. Pomo

Pomo gonzo

Oddometer:
    I'm going through my photos and video from last week in Arizona. You may want to rethink taking riding tips from me. :lol3

I've been eying this gathering since I first got on ADV, now I'm within driving distance. :evil

PS: My name is Patrick.
  14. KG6BWS

KG6BWS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thats funny. Ive been eyeing it as well, and Ive been within day ride distance of DV for 21 years and have never been there.

Doesnt look like Ill make this gathering either. Filling up fast, and just too far out to plan ahead like that. Oh well, maybe the next one.
  15. tbarstow

Oddometer:
    Joel - did you get the suspension fixed on your KTM yet? It works better when the front end isn't a pogo stick.

There is something in Death Valley for every rider at any level, plus we haven't left a Noob unaccounted for yet. You'll see plenty of pics and videos of the carnage at various places, but we do get most of the riders through stuff without incident so don't let that scare you off.

Please do learn how to fix a flat tire on your bike BEFORE you go to Death Valley. Every year somebody heads out and gets a flat, and doesn't have the tools, supplies, or the first idea on how to change a tube. Don't think it won't happen to you, I had a flat yesterday and my hand pump was giving me trouble and a jeeper helped me out with a shot of air from a compressor. Time to get a backup pump.
  16. airheadbruce

airheadbruce Uncle Dumbshit Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'll be at the resort from the 22nd to the 28th of March, sorry I'm going to miss the later festivities. I can't stay past Thursday morning as my wife has to be back at work the following Monday. If there are any other early arrivals, please feel free to visit my RV(23' Fleetwood jamboree and black dr650) and we'll ride somewhere.
  17. Mr. G

Mr. G Normal Dude

Oddometer:
    We had breakfast at the Deer Lodge a couple of years back. 5 years ago we were making fudge with eatpasta .... oops, I meant toffee .......:rofl

Joel, I presume I just pay the campground directly? When do they need it by?

Thanks
  18. Mr. G

Mr. G Normal Dude

Oddometer:
    I'll be rolling in Tues. or Wed. White Dodge 3/4 ton 4X4 towing a Salem Toyhauler, green Ural Patrol.

Lets ride somewhere. Titus, Racetrack & Hunter (if open), maybe Saline Valley (there may be some sand)......
  19. airheadbruce

airheadbruce Uncle Dumbshit Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sounds good to me, my dr should have no problems in sand, has got good pirelli mt21 tires. Big gas tank, so range isn't a problem. I am a noob( at DV, not to dirt biking), so I'll research those rides but I'd really like to just follow someone who knows them. I'm gps challenged......

20. SgtSmoker

SgtSmoker Lanky, Cranky, and Stanky

Oddometer:
    In fer two....

Dave (SgtSmoker) - KLR650 / Trucking In / thu-sun / 3 dinner

Trish (MrsSmoker) - KLX250 / Truck / thu -sun / 3 dinner

Yippeeee !!!:clap