World of Tanks

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by OConnor, Jan 29, 2012.

1. ThanatosF

ThanatosF Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    All politics aside...it sort of looks like a video game:

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Vn_ABGjWAH8" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>
  2. timk519

timk519 Long timer

Oddometer:
    They're all decent tanks - IF you play them to their strengths, which is supporting from a distance. If you try to get up close and personal, OPFOR'll punch through your side armor no problem and then you'll be sad. :evil Find a good sniping spot, and you can do well.

I'm looking forward to getting the Ferdi! Not much longer now...
  3. FPGT72

FPGT72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I got it not too long ago....and being the cheap bastard I am I decided I would just grind the xp and not spend my free xp for the good gun/tracks...boy that was a mistake....I think our teams win rate was like 0.

I just decided to bust the bank and spend like 70k in free xp for tracks and the gun and it really is a game changer....I never really thought that one guy can't make a team win....well I have changed my mind on that....I still think that one guy can't keep a team from losing, but they can make that side win.

I still don't have a lot of games in it....been working on other tanks lately...in truth I have not played much at all this week...too much work. But the ferdi is fun....just keep a little friend near by...I was all by myself and was killed by a stewart....I was ashamed.
  4. SkidMarx

SkidMarx Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes.
    "Drive around and blow shit up" is the what the game is all about.
    We usually throw some strategy in there so we can drive longer and blow more shit up.:lol3

One thing to note. You don't need a high end gaming rig, but it is worth your while to run a decent video card. If you don't have one, something in the $100 range will work very well. You can go cheaper, but I $100 is the sweet spot for bang for the buck.
  5. Mambo Danny

Mambo Danny I cannot abide.

Oddometer:
    I was thinkign about this.

The Stug's forte is 180 degrees different than the way Hetzers get used now.

Most guys use the Derp gun on the Hetzer. it's made for up-close fighting.

The Stug begins the true nature of German TD's - sniping. But of course you have to have the top gun. I try to not complain about anything until I have the top gun and 100% crew members (I just couldn't help myself with the Tiger II though). Learn the Stug (after the top gun) and you'll go far with German TD's.

If you prefer a Derp-style gun from tier 6 and on up, then the Russian TD's might be your better choice.
  6. mfp4073

mfp4073 Long timer

Oddometer:
    well gentleman (using the term loosely), first battle under my belt. If I read the report correctly, I damaged 3 vehicles, and destroyed 1. Think I read the destroyed was a T1? Then got killed and we lost. Not too bad a game. Need to figure the mechanics of the game out. But can see this being fun!
  7. SkidMarx

SkidMarx Long timer

Oddometer:
    Read this when you have some time.
    http://wiki.worldoftanks.com/Battle_Mechanics

Good start.
  8. mfp4073

mfp4073 Long timer

Oddometer:
  9. Grainbelt

Grainbelt marginal adventurer

Oddometer:
    Got it working right the last few days and engaged in a few battles.

Can't figure out the clan/platoon thing - do I need an invite? I signed up as 'Grainbelt' there as well.
  10. AKjeff

AKjeff Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Dave, I appreciate your input.
    I had a 56% win ratio with the Hetzer. There were a couple battles I managed to turn around for a win for my team. I figured, with the heavier frontal armor of the Stug III, this would continue. Boy was I surprised :lol3

I'm not sure which way I'm going at this point. I picked up the Hetzer when they had the special on German TD's. I do like to snipe, I'll try to concentrate on that with my Stug III if that's what it's built for.
  11. SkidMarx

SkidMarx Long timer

Oddometer:
    I sent you a clan invite. Log into worldoftanks.com to accept. Also PMed you the Teamspeak info.

The drop down under the battle button is where you create a platoon. 2 person platoons for non premium. 3 for premium.
  12. timk519

timk519 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had the HE gun on the S III, and it's great when it connects. Unfortunately, I was getting too many hits/no damage, and the long reload time between shots was killer.

I went back to the AP gun, and if I miss or don't pen, I can still try 2x in the same time the HE gun would reload once.
  13. Smithy

Smithy Avoiding the Skid-Demon

Oddometer:
    Ok, so I decided not to sell the AT-2, but put the howitzer on it instead.

Tier 7 tanks don't expect a 50% hp reduction from a tier 5. That said, it's got a paper face, so I intend to try using it as a finisher, which is great since it's so slow anyway, rather than even try to keep up mid-pack.

We'll see how this goes.
  14. theMISSIONARY

theMISSIONARY hunting and riding!!

Oddometer:
    Marder II is the first sniper IMHO you are correct on the Hetz even tho i use the 75
  15. Mambo Danny

Mambo Danny I cannot abide.

Oddometer:
    You're correct, and before they nerfed it I used to love the Mardeer II. Hell, it's still not bad (and, actually, a game-changer with a good crew).

I guess it was too strong of words to say the Hetzer was an up-close fighter, but I've done it and it works.

German are, primarily and past the der- gun, snipers for nearly all aspects. I find them more accurate in arty, and nearly all platforms have sniper-style guns.

-----------

I would not have the time to save up Silver this weekend to even try it if it were on sale, but the Ferdi is researched and the crew is waiting for me to buy one.

I may not have the time to earn enough Silver to buy any of the tanks going on sale today at all.
  16. mfp4073

mfp4073 Long timer

Oddometer:
    well. Kinda what I was afraid of. Already ran into a douch bag. God fragged by a guy because I ran into him. Hope he enjoys the neg credits...
  17. WF_Jester

WF_Jester n00b

Oddometer:
    WOT Noob someone help a brother out! One of you FYYFF just killed me!
  18. Theaty Hannington

Theaty Hannington Long timer

Oddometer:
    Our patented Platoon o' Noob is a fearsome force!
  19. Grainbelt

Grainbelt marginal adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well, except me. :lol3
  20. MN_Smurf

MN_Smurf Capt_Confusion

Oddometer:
    Post your WoT user name and Skid or Smithy will send you a clan invite and the TS info.