The West by Northwest Racing Thread

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by Luke, Dec 7, 2010.

1. mtbdemon

mtbdemon Long timer

Oddometer:
    This puts a lot of pressure on me to get a KTM 150 or 200!!! Dang it you guys....STOP IT!!!! :lol3
  2. Luke

Luke GPoET&P

Oddometer:

Danger Will Robinson! You might want to change the oil cold before you ever start it again. Then warm it up and do a proper oil change. Along with, you know, checking absolutely everything else on the bike. :lol3

I was going to ask if it was a 400 or 525, but a 250 is even better. :clap And lights? Is it plated?

You've already got one of the most popular bikes in the OMRA. I'm pretty sure it's popular for a good reason.
  3. mtbdemon

mtbdemon Long timer

Oddometer:
    You've already got one of the most popular bikes in the OMRA. I'm pretty sure it's popular for a good reason.[/QUOTE]

I love my little YZ, but I hate the idea of doing a rebuild which is why I have been thinking about going back to a smoker. So much cheaper to work on and MUCH easier too.
  4. sjm

sjm Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Its great to see a list of all the events and classes.

If you where to buy a new bike, what recommendation would you give concerning a 'one size fits all' cc size, what would you choose.

Note: Based on cc limits for entering the most amount of events, versus power, handling, etc, etc.
  5. Petrolburner

Petrolburner Noise Maker

Oddometer:
    Seems to me like a KTM 200 EXC would be the bee's knees, or is it the cat's ass? :lol3
  6. mtbdemon

mtbdemon Long timer

Oddometer:
    All works for me-I'm just looking for an excuse to get one-Who cares if I can afford it:lol3
  7. Petrolburner

Petrolburner Noise Maker

Oddometer:
    It's your duty as an American, and use credit if ya got it!
  8. oregoncoast

oregoncoast Smells like Bacon

Oddometer:
    Racing bike for sale...complete with steeeekers :deal

Check the PNW Flea Market for details....yes, Luke, its a racing bike! :wink:
  9. Luke

Luke GPoET&P

Oddometer:
    I think it really depends on what you like. I've pretty much only ridden four strokes, so I'd stick with a 400. From talking to people, the impression I get is that the bigger 4 strokes are a waste. the 450+ sized bikes are harder to manage (especially for beginners) and actually slow you down.

250's (both two and four stroke) are popular, and look like a big advantage in the woods races.

The little bikes aren't actually much slower, and the 200 classes are very competitive. The overall winner of the series this year rode a KTM 200 even though his class was open displacement.

If it matters, I'd say that half the bikes at races are KTMs, a quarter Yamahas, and a quarter everything else combined. Most are 200 and 250 2 strokes and 250 and 400 4 strokes.

If you're buying new-to-you, and not brand new, then look for modern suspension and light weight. Most newer dirt bikes have an MX version and an enduro version. Go for the enduro version.
  10. Luke

Luke GPoET&P

Oddometer:

Well, I can only bring myself to think of this after midnight, so here goes:

Kootenai Rider, Oregoncoast and I are going to race the 6 hour Starvation Ridge endurance race. We'll be Team OldHonda, since that's what we're riding.

And now, presenting the stupid: We're not going to race as a team. Instead, we're all going to race the Ironman class. :gdog:jump
  11. Remarksman

Remarksman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The previous owner worked at an auto shop, and discussed oil changes and valve checks, so I'm not too worried about the inside of the motor. My sense that the 50 hours is low comes more from looking at all the scratches on things. I guess the good news is that I won't feel too bad about crashing it :lol3

It has a TrailTech (aftermarket) headlight and an OR license plate -- that's about it for street legality. It needs some hand guards, so I'm looking at the Highway Dirt Bikes that can have the mirror added in. For real street legality, it probably needs a new rear fender extension. Bit of a bummer, as I think signals and mirrors came on it originally. OTOH, I'm not really planning to ride it on roads, so maybe a mirror and hand signals will get me by for those few times I need to connect trails.
  12. crazybrit

crazybrit Defying any self identifying

Oddometer:
    The HDB stuff is really nice. I have a set on my 950. Don't have the mirrors. If you don't want the mirrors, I think there are cheaper barkbuster designs that use a replacement upper bar clamp.
  13. oregoncoast

Oddometer:
    It is amazing just how many scratches and gouges you can get on a bike in a few hours if you are riding it fast enough,,,and falling.
  14. Kootenai Rider

Kootenai Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Key Point Here...

To Echo what Luke said, if buying a 4-stroke, given the option, buy the woods version if possible, you'll be much happier.

The Honda 450/250X for example has a different wheelbase and slightly different frame flex and suspension that doesn't beat you up as much as the 450/250R model. This will really come into play on the bigger open desert races. Go look at the Baja threads. There's a reason everyone uses the 450X and makes it a really hot bike, vs takes a 450R and makes it a woods/desert bike.

For the tighter woods races, the lighter 2-strokes are nice b/c you can really throw them around. You're never going to use all the power of that big fo-fiddy in the woods so why lug it around and tire yourself out.

I haven't ridden a Two Fiddy Four Stroke in anger, but from what I can gather, in the woods, the power is going to be much more manageable, and they're a little lighter....still not 2-smoke light though. :evil

When it comes to having to pick up your bike, having a light bike is really nice....trust me. I ride a 2001 Honda CR250R, (Best year of the CR) and with the large tank, and soon to have a head light, it will be the ultimate woods machine. Fast, light, agile' and good for 100 miles now. :deal

I looked up some weights just now.
    KX 450F - 249lbs - Curb weight
    KX 250F - 232lbs - Weight
    Honda CR250R (2001) - 213 lbs.

So... as you can see..before any Farkles... my 250 2 stroke is 40lbs lighter than that 450. I can add Skid plate, Big tank, Headlight, bark buster, tool bag, cup holder and still come out lighter than the other two bikes.
  15. mtbdemon

mtbdemon Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think, if we can get a few guys together and ride and race together, that would be GREAT fun. My goal is to do three to four races. I would love to chase points, but not sure the budget would withstand that. After the first of the year, a plan should be made!!!
  16. Kootenai Rider

Kootenai Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    How about:
    Desert 100 in April - Odessa, WA
    Devil's Head ISDE - June - Tillamook Area
    Fall Classic - September - Bend

Three races, spreads it out through out the year both time, and financially, plus they're just really fun races (well the first two are based on personal experience)
  17. mtbdemon

mtbdemon Long timer

Oddometer:

sold!!!!
  18. mtbdemon

mtbdemon Long timer

Oddometer:
    So I'm thinking about getting a larger tank with petcock for the YZ-Anyone have suggestions on where to buy this? Beaverton Honda/Yamaha wants silly money so I'm thinking online might be the way, but thought I would ask the peeps!!

Thanks
  19. NWBoarder

NWBoarder Whitmeister

Oddometer:
    I got a Clarke from CycleBuy in OR, for sub $200 iirc (for my 200 EXC). Bob was great to work with.

Only prob was the plastic cap cracked. JBweld held for a year or so, then I had to step up and get the billet one.
    Will be following this thread. And will be at the D100, and many of the WA offroad, and ISDE events.
    Looking forward to meeting some of you FFs.
  20. oregoncoast

Oddometer:
    http://www.justgastanks.com/store/

Better prices than ebay.