Six Months Later . . .

Discussion in 'Face Plant' started by diesel1959, May 2, 2012.

1. gooseofdeuce

gooseofdeuce aLandBro

Oddometer:

Hot pursuit is actively chasing someone who is attempting to evade or get away. The correct term for catching up to a speeder is "overtaking" and in my state, SC, where i worked with a Sheriff's Office for 8 years is the legal word used in the code of law... i know every state is different.
  2. wmoncrieff

wmoncrieff New Oldie

Oddometer:
    So glad to see you are improving. Yep, take the pain meds when you need 'em. I've been on pain meds for seven years and counting, couldn't function normally without em some days. I feel for you during your recovery. Heal fast and best wishes from Downunder.
  3. Supahflid

Supahflid Wheelieless Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Best wishes to you diesel! Give us an update when you can.
  4. diesel1959

diesel1959 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, the time keeps flying and I keep adjusting the rods on the Ilisarov. I'd have to say that up until last Monday, I was in a constant struggle to stay ahead of the pain. I was having to take five of the Norco each day just as a bare minimum to keep the pain at bay. We saw the surgeon last Monday and, for whatever reason, the pain seems to be holding down a lot. The adjustment schedule has been changed and I'm still getting stronger. This has resulted in me only taking one Norco every eight hours, which is significantly less than before. I'll take this as a bit of a victory over pain or, at least, the worst of it.

Two weeks ago, I took delivery of my new wheelchair--custom fitted for me an I've gotta say that this chair makes things a lot easier. It seems as though all I need do is think about rolling in a particular direction and we're off. On top of all this, we've completed a six-week renovation of our home in order that it is more accessible for me in the wheelchair. Workers comp hired an adviser and a contractor and laid out the plan of what was needed and took care of everything. My wife and I moved into an apartment for the six weeks and are now quite glad to be back home--in our own bed and in our own surroundings. And much improved surroundings they are--I can easily roll throughout all the areas of the first floor. The kitchen and master bathroom have been completely redone to give full access. I've got to admit that it is a huge relief to no longer have to use a bedside commode with a bucket anymore. I can use my very own toilet. After two and a half years, this is a bit of heaven that can't be overstated.

Anyway, keep on trucking and thanks for the kind thoughts. I'll fill things in when I have more medical info, but the doctor likes what he's seeing for now. Happy Cinco de Mayo!
  5. Supahflid

Supahflid Wheelieless Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    That all sounds like fantastic news! :clap
  6. DougFromKentucky

DougFromKentucky Just a good 'ole boy

Oddometer:
    Diesel, I always look forward to your posting. I see improvement, sometimes very slow improvement but improvement nevertheless. I am envious of your house remodel by the way. I have a really bad heart and bad arthritis so I see something like a wheelchair in my future (I am still able to get around with a cane atm). Friends find it interesting that although I have difficulty walking and standing I can still ride. Not as far as before but I did 120 some miles yesterday with my wife.

Success is measured in small steps. Remember that.

You have many people here in ADVRider cheering for you.

Namaste'
    Doug from Kentucky
  7. wegface22

wegface22 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    In this cctv, computer database world, (bike) cops have no need to risk further danger by chasing speeding motorists. Arrest them at home.
  8. hardwaregrrl

hardwaregrrl Can't shoot straight Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good news, brother!!! The toilet thing is the best!!! I can't imagine a bed pan for years.....:huh Glad you and your wife are back in comfortable surroundings. I say pop some popcorn and watch a movie tonight.:lurk

Keep us in the loop. I think about you everytime I see a motor officer.
  9. Motor7

Motor7 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the update Bro....glad you are improving. Hang in there man, we are all pulling for ya!
  10. rico2072

rico2072 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Glad to hear your doing better.
    Just wondering, if you could, would you get back on a bike?
  11. SGBoy

SGBoy New Guy

Oddometer:
    Speedy recovery.
  12. diesel1959

Oddometer:
    I haven't sold any of my bikes. My goal is fully recovery. I want to work and I'd love to ride again. I figure it would all flow naturally. If I can walk and use my arm sufficiently well, I can go back to my chosen work. If I can do all those things, I would not chose to limit my transportation options in the future. Riding at work would not likely happen again.
  13. DougFromKentucky

DougFromKentucky Just a good 'ole boy

Oddometer:
    Diesel, you are doing things right. I had a bad motorcycle accident back in 1972. The doctors told me that my body was too screwed up and that they didn't think I would be able to walk well again. I was active duty USMC and they tried to medically discharge me. I contested the discharge and worked hard. A little over a year after the accident I returned to full active duty. I didn't ride a street bike again for years after the accident because every time I would see a car approaching me from the side I would freak out. Continued riding off-road though. Finally when I was in my late 40's I returned to riding on the street . I am now 62 and still ride on the street although I can't ride the dirt anymore due to arthritis. Dreams can become reality given enough time, will power and luck.
  14. rico2072

rico2072 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good to hear! Keep up the hard work!
  15. mike

mike Long timer

Oddometer:
    Saw this thread awhile back and cringed at your injuries. Glad you are improving. :bow
  16. diesel1959

Oddometer:
    Well, it's back into surgery tomorrow (Thursday) morning. The surgeon is going to try to center my thigh in the rings of the Ilisarov device, as currently, I'm jambed up against the lateral side of the device and the ring and hardware are threatening to cut into my thigh. Beyond that, the surgeon is quite happy with the lengthing/straightening/rotation aspects thus far.
  17. Mikehusa

Mikehusa Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good luck to you, I hope everything is going well in surgery.

One step closer.........................
  18. diesel1959

Oddometer:
    So, I had the surgery on the 15th of May and had to stay one night in the hospital. The surgery went well, and the surgeon told my wife right afterwards that he’s very pleased with how the leg is looking and with the bone growth thus far. They actually did remove one of the pins in my proximal femur, and open me up just a bit--I think I've got three or four stitches--but they wound up screwing a slightly longer pin into the exact same hole in my femur. In looking at the rig, it appears that the fixed ring was positioned more distal on my leg--about an inch and a half--which places it closer to the adjustment ring. Thus the adjustment rods are shorter and it changes all the mathematical computations for making the adjustments.

Thanks go out to all who have shared a thought or prayer or whatever along the way. All help is appreciated.
  19. automated1

automated1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Awesome! Great to hear. :clap
  20. isdt BMW

isdt BMW willserv@aol.com

Oddometer:
    Good for you, I have a femoral implant and screw set, 16 years now, keep pushing yourself, work past the pain, I can walk painlessly, and am riding and did not sell my bikes, in fact they are therapy. Best of luck.