Drz400 Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Britmick, May 4, 2007.

1. DR650SEDDY

DR650SEDDY ride2discover

Oddometer:
    :stfuWhen u learn to ride like this then u can argue otherwise u need to :stfu
    [​IMG]
  2. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    what is the story behind 4:29 ? looks like the rider knew the hill ended, or maybe it was a jump he chickened on ? I sure as hell would have
  3. bobfab

bobfab Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Heres mine. Im not thrilled at the quality of them, this is my 3rd one, but they do the job and are cheap enough.

[​IMG]
  4. DR650SEDDY

DR650SEDDY ride2discover

Oddometer:
    :lol3Yes that hill was scary, my buddy thought it was a jump but he realize last second that it was a death trap:eek1... so he bailed his iron horse:roflwith couple of pee drops in his Fox pants:lol3.
  5. oRICHo

oRICHo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hmm, I'm not so sure... I did this on the WYOA 2012 trip and it beat the back end of my bike loads - loose spokes, wheel bearing shot, swing arm and linkage bearings had play. This was with a rear MT21 running at 25psi.
    Next time I'll run at 18 to add a little extra cushioning.

Thing is your suppose to match your bikes springs to your weight anyway - I'm about 1 spring on the light side for my rear now but the front could do with being harder. Adding luggage weight (as far as your bike is concerned) is like having a light passenger. It needs to be taking into account I'd guess...

When setting the rear sag there is only so much your suppose to do with the pre-load, after that the race sag messes up your static and highlights the fact the spring isn't right. That is what happened when I adjusted my pre-load to re-level my bike. In the end I set it at the best compromise but when there was no luggage on the bike it was literally hard against the stop - no static sag at all.
    That is probably okay I guess but just highlights how much pre-load was needed.

TBH it just surprises me that so many people load these bike up with luggage without at least changing the rear spring. The 'S' has a slight harder rear spring (as it is rated for passengers) so maybe that alone is enough. Not a massive difference though. 'E' spring is 5.3kg/mm and 'S' spring is 5.5kg/mm.
  6. HellSickle

HellSickle Scone Rider

Oddometer:
    There's always the exception that proves the rule.

When riding thru big rocks or other obstacles at foot height, always ride with the ball of your foot on the peg. If you hit something, it will only knock your foot off the peg, rather than wrapping your foot around the peg breaking a myriad of bones and doing massive ligament damage.
  7. DR650SEDDY

DR650SEDDY ride2discover

Oddometer:
    +1
  8. HellSickle

HellSickle Scone Rider

Oddometer:
    I just received an email with a picture of a buddies purple big toe from yesterday's ride. He's new to the sport and I forgot to warn him to keep his toes on the pegs for a certain section of trail.
  9. HellSickle

HellSickle Scone Rider

Oddometer:
    I just received an email with a picture of a buddies purple big toe from yesterday's ride. He's new to the sport and I forgot to warn him to keep his toes on the pegs for a certain section of trail. If I'm riding in thick brush that could contain hidden obstacles, I always have my toes on the pegs. Look up a lisfranc injury and you'll spend a lot more time on your toes in the woods. My wife just missed a season of riding because of this.
  10. buls4evr

buls4evr No Marks....

Oddometer:
    And when riding in a Michigan stump field also especially if you have big feet.
  11. RichardU

RichardU Let's Ride

Oddometer:
    Ligament damage? When I hit a rock buried in tall grass it seriously bent my IMS footpeg. If my toes had been in front of it, they would have been amputated.
  12. blaster11

blaster11 Still having fun!

Oddometer:
    Here is my lisfranc injury that I am still recoverying from.
    http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=830324
  13. DR650SEDDY

DR650SEDDY ride2discover

Oddometer:
    Ouch that looks painfull, wish u quick recovery & back on the saddle in no time.

Good remark Hellsickle [​IMG], I do keep my toes a l'abri when hitting rock trails but i ride at moderate to low speed (just in case), i try to less stand-riding on rocks (depending on what size rocks are there) that help keep my toes up high (on pegs) preventing contact with debris.
  14. HellSickle

HellSickle Scone Rider

Oddometer:
    Holy smokes! :eek1 That's way worse that any of the other examples I've seen.

I probably don't have to tell you this, but make sure you see a good foot doctor for the rehab. My wife did a hairline fracture in Utah last fall. A good Dr. also diagnose lisfranc.
  15. blaster11

blaster11 Still having fun!

Oddometer:
    Actually my recovery is going pretty well and I get the screws removed in about two weeks....should be back in a regular shoe in January and hopefully riding shortly thereafter. I have a good Doc!
  16. lilsmokey

lilsmokey Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey all im getting myself a new bike this weekend. Its a 2002 DRZ400. Im new to DRZ's so i dont really know what to look out for. Does this era drz have any problems i should keep an eye out for? I need to know by saturday. Thanks for the help ya'll. I will get some pictures if and when i get it..
  17. oldhound59

oldhound59 n00b

Oddometer:
    HELP! I'd like to know if there is a difference in the front suspension on 400S say from 2002 to present. I'm embarking on a moto project and and want to use the front end of a DRZ 400S and would like to know how adjustable the forks are and if I should be looking at specific years to get the best setup. Hope that makes sense. According to the wife I rarely do.
  18. 150ron

150ron Long timer

Oddometer:
    the only thing i have heard that was bad on the early year drz's is the automatic cam chain tensioner, but that is easily replaced for about 50 bucks with a manual cam chain tensioner.

if you post up some pics and details about the bike, maybe we can help you out some more.
  19. DR650SEDDY

DR650SEDDY ride2discover

Oddometer:
    Normal wear & tear,cam chain tensioner make sure no noise coming out of that area, some prefer to have an ACCT (automatic version), check for leaks in front fork seals, i see ur located in CO, so u might wanna make sure it's jetted for elevation. The more mods it has, the merrier. Chain/sprockets condition?? check for any oil/fluid leaks after test ride. Batterie/electrics...
  20. markjenn

markjenn Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have always heard that the MY 2002 got the "E" suspension and has been unchanged ever since. But this is just what I've heard. Of course the SM has the USD forks.

- Mark