Robby Gordon 2013

Discussion in 'Racing' started by larryboy, Dec 9, 2012.

1. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority

Oddometer:
    Nope, I've not even seen the 13 car yet. You got pics?
  2. ric678

ric678 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    hmmm.....Maybe the super scoop creates a super venturi effect for the super tire inflation deflation system
  3. Strong Bad

Oddometer:
    Getting good air flow through a rear engine race car with a windshield is very difficult to do. I've heard that do to lack of experience with the guys building Nasser's cars, that it could be one of the things that bites them in the butt.
  4. Strong Bad

Oddometer:
    Forgot about that. His front mounted rads are what got him in the dooms in Africa.
  5. Nailhead

Nailhead Puck Futin Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah, credibility: RG is trying to establish a viable racing effort under a marque that wasn't.
  6. Nailhead

Nailhead Puck Futin Supporter

Oddometer:
    ...and Mini is a marque that actually EXISTS, so I don't see the point really.

I realize some of the pragmatic aspects of this outwardly puzzling choice, but TO ME, said choice reinforces somewhat the "out-of-touch-redneck" impression European motor sports teams have historically tended to have about our own (re: Enzo & Henry). This seemed reinforced at Dakar 2012 by what I saw as an attitude of condescension & ridicule toward RG by Stephane Peterhansel, among others.

Unavoidable given the sponsorship situation perhaps, but that's how it sits with me.
  7. BELSTAFF

BELSTAFF ADV NOMAD

Oddometer:
    Quite frankly, I simple love RG ,He just don't give a damn what anyone thinks :clap
  8. Tarheel Wheeler

Tarheel Wheeler Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great thread guys, and as you can see from my screen name I'm one of those so-called red necks from NC. Git R Dun!

I think RG is a marketing genius...the Hummer has ties to all that is American. We still utilize the Hummer or a variant of it to carry our soldiers, sailors, marines and airmen on the battle field. No other current vehicle (at the selction time) could be more patriotic, have stronger ties to the adrenaline junkie that is our modern day warrior, or that "made in America" label.

What the heck has the Mini done for the French military...Oh nothin since the French military has done absolutely nothing either.
  9. VxZeroKnots

VxZeroKnots Long timer

Oddometer:
    You do realize you are talking about the French? Who, for better or worse they are famous amongst us colonials for their condescension. I doubt rebranding his truck would change that, especially given his give-zero-fucks attitude.
  10. UngaWunga

UngaWunga Mosquito bait

Oddometer:

Let's just forget that they helped up greatly during our own revolution way back when and gave us that cool statue. Yeah, those cheese eating surrender monkeys don't do anything good in the world. :puke1

Should be a good race this year. Hopefully Robbie has learned enough to finish all the legs this year without tweaking the organizers too much. Who are the other big competitors? Do the Spanish have a big push going this year?
  11. MotoMinded

MotoMinded Rally On Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice stuff here. Happy I found this thread.
  12. Tarheel Wheeler

Tarheel Wheeler Long timer

Oddometer:
    The only way he will not "Tweak" the organizers is if decides to run second to the chosen teams. Don't really see that happening, so guess the "Tweaking" will start on Stage 1. :lol3:lol3:lol3 Git R Dun RG! :D:D:D
  13. dentvet

dentvet Long timer

Oddometer:
    Why didn't Gordon just install a rev limiter on Nasser's truck after the first belt failure? Stick some extra plush carpet under the gas pedal or something
  14. DesertSurfer

DesertSurfer Tail sprayin

Oddometer:
    RG had a dream to WIN the Dakar under an American car sponsorship, Hummer, and has continued to carry on as a personal quest. If he were to win the Dakar with his home built rear wheeler, he will devastate the entire Dakar Rally Sponsorship Program concept... Proving that major auto manufacturers don't know what they are doing by failing to dominate the world's most complex auto race. It's no wonder the ASO will do what ever it needs to, as witnessed last year, to keep it's top manufacturers and their employee drivers in the winner's circle, at all unethical costs.

RG is merely imposing a will cultivated by 100's of years of oppression by European aristocrates. It's an American spirit to those of us American. But it's also a David vs. Goliath story for anyone told they couldn't achieve greatness against corporate bureacracy.

His winning would be the equivelent of the 1981 US Hockey team defeating the Russians for the Gold.

And as evidence why RG chose to mimic the H3... It's a DAMN FUN VEHICLE, Y'ALL...

[​IMG]
  15. Chuck Roll

Chuck Roll Allergic to Organic

Oddometer:
    I believe it is a rear wheel drive 2WD .
  16. Strong Bad

Oddometer:
    Hmmm I guess some forget about Jean-Louis Schlesser, or more likely you never knew about him because you just following the Dakar because Rubby is racing it.
  17. DesertSurfer

Oddometer:
    Does since 1979 count? I was fortunate to live in Paris from 1982-1988 and follow the 24-7 daily coverage, which has kept me a Dakar junkie for MANY, MANY years.

I don't think Schlesser counts as an American trying to bring home the win as an American manufacturer. However you do bring about a good point... I believe Schlesser was the reason the ASO modified categories to protect the major manufacturers... if I'm not mistaken.
  18. DesertSurfer

Oddometer:
    Not fair... I caught it in my rear view first...
  19. HogWild

HogWild Skott Whitknee

Oddometer:
    The problem was that Nasser would downshift while the engine was already at a high rev, which forced it even higher. An ignition rev limiter won't help with that.
  20. VxZeroKnots

VxZeroKnots Long timer

Oddometer:
    I wasn't making a judgement on them, I have some friends who are French and despite their shortcomings are great people :D You can't tell me that you haven't heard at least once how rude the French are to Americans, be it true or not.

I was like ten when all that was going down :lol3