Air Rifle Thread

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by GordonFreeman, Jul 3, 2011.

1. Mr. B

Mr. B "Cogito ergo zoom"

Oddometer:
    With one pump, it's fairly quiet. With three pumps (the max), your neighbors will hear it.
  2. fz6kd7

fz6kd7 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a crosman 1377 american clasic for $60 i can't complain.
    But it has distict pop/twang even out at 10yds
    I think most of it is the metal porch roof magnifing it.

That is a sweet looking gun
  3. fz6kd7

fz6kd7 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Anybody have a crosman nitro piston?
  4. Speedo66

Speedo66 Transient

Oddometer:
    My brother recently bought a house, and finally went all through the basement/garage, and discovers a gun in a box.

He's not into them, and wants it out of the house. Comes over yesterday, and says it's in the trunk. Open the trunk and there's a Benelli box, I'm psyched! Open the box to discover a Crossman 760 rifle. :cry

Don't know the year, but it has a green plastic light gathering front sight. Seems fairly straight forward in operation, but it's obviously a low end airgun.

Any comments or experience with this rifle?
  5. barnyard

barnyard Verbal tactician Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    That gun has been around for years. It was the first multi pump airgun I shot back when I was in my teens. Keep it clean and all that and it can be a pretty accurate gun.
  6. 5th-Elefant

5th-Elefant Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had one as a kid (or one that looked identical). Back in the 80s. Low powered toy basically. Lots of pumping involved.
  7. Signal

Signal it's such a fine line between stupid and clever

Oddometer:
    Need some input/thoughts-
    The is a local shop selling the lower end gamo (rocket model) cheap for $109

I assume the scope will be fair, how are the gamo's :ear

It appears most of the gamos have a similar build/mechanism/trigger, yes?
  8. FPGT72

FPGT72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    It has been around for YEARS like others say. And for what it is not a bad little air rifle. Also sold under Remington airmaster 77.

I own two of them....on a good day around 700fps if the sun spots all align just right. Fun to shoot as it will do BB's and .177 pellets as well....it will shoot just pop can accurate out to about 25-30 yards...gets iffy after that.

Not a cheap toy, a pretty good multi pump air rifle at its price point....I would say it is the best in its class.
  9. barnyard

barnyard Verbal tactician Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    I have been thinking about the 760 I shot back when I was a kid. My friend and I pooled our money to buy it. We went through at least a dozen of those little milk carton thingys of BBs. We shot into traps to reuse and still shot a shit ton of those BBs. Kept us more or less out of trouble for over a year.
  10. FPGT72

FPGT72 Long timer

Oddometer:

I have two Gamo air rifles, one 440 and one 880 both are over 10 years or so old I would guess. Both still work just great.

Only down side to them is they are a little bit of a bear to cock (for me) Mine have not been touched in years...guess that is why I went to CO2.

I have not shot any of their new offerings, but these two guns are very well made.
  11. FPGT72

FPGT72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I remember that as well.....I would walk with my rifle down to the creek and shoot stuff, never frogs....I like frogs, but I got good at shooting dragon flies.

Can you imagine that today....a kid with a rifle that looks like a rifle walking down the street....things were better in 1970....cop even stopped me once...asked where I was going...told him the creek....all he said was be careful and have fun....times have changed.
  12. gatling

gatling Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I agree...things have changed, and not for the better. I had similar experiences where I grew up.
  13. Birdmove

Birdmove Long timer

Oddometer:
    You are getting your Crosmans mixed up. The Remington Airmaster 77 is the same as the Crosman 2100B multi-pump, not the 760. The 760 is an almost all plastic gun. The 2100B/Remington Airmaster has a metal receiver, the 760's is all plastic. So, on the 760, the scope rail on the receiver where you bolt on the scope is plastic, so you have to really be careful to not overtighten. The 2100B/Remington Airmasyter 77 is all metal there. Much stronger. The 760 and the other 2 air guns are quite different. Google pitures of these and you'll see the differences easily.

14. FPGT72

FPGT72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Your right I did have them mixed up.
  15. mattlikesbikes

mattlikesbikes Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'll get some photos up shortly, but does anyone have an extra pump tube for a 13XX crosman they would sell cheap?

I've got a highly moded 1377 - Now 1322 which has a crap stock pump tube with a slightly off center drilling so it looks twisted. I am finally tired of looking at the twist and am ready to fix it.

But I've got now a 1322 with an RJ breach, walnut grips, and polished internals/trigger. It was sighted, but I've since switched it over to Crosman 3/8" laser mounted on the RJ rail. Pretty slick and fantastic out to 25yds.

I switched it over to .22 just this past week so looking to see if I can get some better one shot knock down on rats.
  16. Signal

Oddometer:
    Bought the gamo "Hornet" .177- $109, figured a fair gamble

Decent construstion, louder than I anticipated. The scope is fair (32x4 power fixed), likely will be replaced (suggestions? :ear)

Did a quick sighting in (backyard)- nice groups at the 35-40 feet or so. The scope "adjustments" were wonky at best.
    It did jump (spring) more than I'd anticipated- I suspect a firm sandbag rest could do wonders.
  17. FPGT72

FPGT72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    In putting a scope on the rifle make sure you get one made for it.
  18. Nailhead

Nailhead Puck Futin Supporter

Oddometer:
    Got a Hawke Optics scope for my Weihrauch: nice scope for reasonable money, and made for airguns.
  19. TooFast

TooFast Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a Gamo Hunter 220 with a 4 x 32 scope, still has the tag on it, a 1000 FPS sticker, and original box. I bought it to shoot quietly while out camping where it was only used one evening sitting around the campfire shooting beer cans with a buddy who lost his 12 pack of Heineken to me and now won't shoot for beer. I'd guess it's only been shot 40 times or so. The box still has a $179.99 price tag on it

What's a fair price if I were to sell it?
  20. Signal

Oddometer:
    Having a local scout/church gathering this weekend- shooting some trap in a local guy's field- :evil

Some are a bit gunshy with big noisy shotguns, so my son and I built this for air rifle plinking :D
    [​IMG]

We cut a 24" length of 1/4 inch steel into lengths, ground the edges/drilled some holes, sprayed some colors, some small braided wire, etc....