Yamaha DT230 adventures

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by motormail, Aug 12, 2011.

1. motormail

motormail Supermoto Posty

Oddometer:
    With the extra weight especially on the rear I had to get an appropriate spring and figured the shock was well overdue for a service so might as well do both. However getting the shock out of a DT230 requires almost pulling half the bike apart...tank, seat, side panels off, remove airbox, remove linkages and carby has to come out to get at remote canister...bugger me, hope I don't have a problem with the shock out on the trail.

Once out, only one place to go in Brisvegas RAD Motorcycle Shocky Repairs, $60 for a service which included new bump stop, re valve and some engineering to accommodate the bigger spring. Spring was $180 from Teknik, but could have got that far cheaper by getting a custom job through RAD, but this can take up to a couple of weeks. Too impatient for that, need to go riding...now, soon, hopefully when it stops pissing with rain. New spring has 20% increase from stock and revalve appropriate to the new spring....works a treat now, can ride over a lump without hitting the stopper.

Robo

[​IMG]
  2. motormail

Oddometer:
    Tried out my Hennesy Hammock today, which is surprisingly easy to set up and comfy too. I especially love the entrance, you have to spread the flaps first before poking your head in. Had an old 3/4 self inflating mat which turned out to be the perfect size for the hammock and threw in a camp pillow to try. In under 2 minutes I was asleep, the sideways movement is just like rocking a baby in a cradle, but no titty to suck on here in the middle of the local park.

Only problem I see with the hammock in Australia is a lack of trees, so just need to get the Tree 2 Bike set up sorted. Almost got it to work today just need a pole to stop the rear shock from compressing. Will post some photos when sorted.

Robo

Short vid of getting into the hammock here

[​IMG]
  3. motormail

Oddometer:
    Took the little beast out for a spin......I gotta say, the DT230 is just brilliant - 300mm ground clearance, low seat height, descent suspension, economical, powerful, traction control and dam easy to fix. To put it into perspective, the DT230 with racks, panniers, all camping gear including food, clothes, etc, etc comes in around 155kg. Now most adventure bikes these days weigh more than that dry....that's no fuel, no oil or any other fluids. I reckon it'll do just fine.

Robo

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  4. Harvey Krumpet

Harvey Krumpet Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    155kg fully loaded! Now that is the mutts nuts.

Sorry Robo, i just could not bring myself to watch you pushing your head between the flaps. I've fallen for that kind of thing once before..:D
  5. motormail

Oddometer:
    You should see me coming out....
  6. ararat

ararat Dr. BMW and Mr KTM

Oddometer:
    Auckland the land of the rain and clouds...
    Nice one.
    How is it on highway?
  7. motormail

Oddometer:
    Highway riding is smooooottttthhhhhh. The way the DT230 engine has been designed with the exhaust power valve, there is not one hint of hunting and the way I have it geared, 6th gear power band is only just coming on at 110 kph.

Robo
  8. motormail

Oddometer:
    Photos for Robin @ RV Aqualine to see if a tank can be modded from the older Yamaha WR450 to fit the DT230

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  9. Harvey Krumpet

Oddometer:
    Any news on the tank?

And my next question... has anybody modded their DT so you can see the 2t oil level without taking the side panel off & looking in the hole of mystery? Mine has a no sight line in the oil tank, a minor pain in the date.
  10. motormail

Oddometer:
    Hey mate, few times a week I phone Safari Tanks to see if they have found a tank, which they did find after quite some time of searching in what must be far away sheds, gave them my credit card details before Easter and last phone call was Friday 13th April as I still hadn't received the tank, was told they'd try to find the Australia Post tracking number and call me back....still waiting for the call. Sounds like I'm in the too hard basket, been over 2 months trying to get this to happen. Close to giving up myself and going down the ally tank track.
  11. Harvey Krumpet

Oddometer:
    I've been out with the chancellor recently, she is finally on the road & we have been exploring locally, no more than 60 - 70k trips. Because she is, er, cautious on the DT it has stopped using petrol.... 3.65 ltrs = 75.8 km. I've done a tank at 95 km's.... Wish I could find another one.
  12. motormail

Oddometer:
    Made some changes of tree to motorcycle set up of Hennesy Hammock here

[​IMG]
  13. motormail

Oddometer:
    Hey Harvey, nearly 21k's per litre, that's brilliant! One of the other DT230 guys on here gets that as he uses his as a transport. I can't get anywhere near that as i carry too much crap and I'm a fat F#*K which doesn't help either.
  14. Harvey Krumpet

Oddometer:
    :roflI have never come anywhere near it either. Too much ring, ding, ding at every opportunity.
  15. motormail

Oddometer:
    New Safari Tank tank from an early WR250/450 turned up today, 26 litres and looks so sexy. Hopefully not too much to get it to fit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Initial fitment looks very promising. Have worked out so far, will have to cut off old mounts and weld on new mounts further forward as the tank is sitting on them and stopping it from sitting down where it should be. Radiators will have to come forward a little simply with some bracket spacers. A portion of the right hand side will have to be cut out and plastic welded to accommodate for the exhaust expansion chamber, might lose about 1 litre max. Hopefully will be able to keep standard seat...fingers crossed all goes well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Will keep you posted and take photos as I go. Going for a ride this weekend so will have to put it all back together with standard tank and quick.
  16. drchupachup

drchupachup Thirsty

Oddometer:
    Hey Motomail,

How did you go with the tank?

Luke
  17. Brunow - 007

Brunow - 007 Bantam Fever

Oddometer:
    Nice! A ringeding adventure bike! Subscribed!:clap
  18. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    I've long been tempted to get a DT230 but the fuel range always put me off, nice job.
  19. motormail

Oddometer:
    I've had to put the tank on hold for the moment, I've blown a head gasket....been having too much fun. Just can't help myself, the DT just loves to be ring a ding, dinged! Will let you know how the tank goes ASAP.

Cheers
    Robo
  20. Harvey Krumpet

Oddometer:
    :cry:cry

You bwoke it!!! If it's any consolation the Chancellor has not told me where the keys are yet for hers ...:freaky