DR350 Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by leonphelps, May 16, 2007.

1. VooDooDaddy

VooDooDaddy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ooh. Obviously that didn't occur to me? While I would like to know how those would work on a long overlander trip, I'm not likely to be the guinea pig and spend the money on it, only to come to the same conclusion as you Greg. Thanks.
  2. RuggedExposure

RuggedExposure Now with more rugged

Oddometer:

Good call. And the price tag is pretty high considering its just molle straps. All I really need is a holster on the left side of the tank. I'm sure I could get a molle panel and rig it up to fit a holster for a lot less.

VooDoo, Are the mounts the same on a street legal frame?
  3. MrPulldown

MrPulldown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Tank vest is too expensive. Esspeically for someone who makes their own ammo can panniers. :D

Why not just carry the gun on you. I have found that "tank driver" type chest holsters to work really good at keeping the work piece close by and out of the way.
  4. Greg Bender

Greg Bender Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm thirsty for Dos Equis and have some amber chilled in the fridge right now. But, I'm even more thirsty for a fork brace. Is anyone near Gilroy, CA that can run down and have things measured? Any DR350 or DR250 with the very common early forks (through 1996 for the dirt model or through 1997 for the street model) will work fine.

Please, please, please!!!!

I'd go, but Gilroy, CA. is over 700 miles from Cave Creek.

Regards,

Gregory Bender
  5. MrPulldown

MrPulldown Long timer

Oddometer:
    The DR250. The little brother to the 350. There does not seem like there is very much info about this bike.

I am trying to get one running and wanted more info on there. ANyone have a good site with specs and reviews, write up...

Some questions I have.

What carb does this thing run (92 dr250s)- BST 28mm
    samme air box and duct as the 350?
    Horse power. Read it has a 29hp max. the site must be wrong.
    CDI is it interchangeable the the 350's
    Stock sprocket size?
  6. mustangwagz

mustangwagz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    HOly Crap, look at the light on that baby! That things is MASSIVE man, who makes it and whats it called? if someone gives ya shit for it being big, take it off and beat em with it! i bet that MoFo lights stuff up! fill me in with info!

-WagZ-
  7. rubberband

rubberband Will ride for tacos

Oddometer:
    Plus 1, I'm in Michigan....so you are still closer. I'd be interested in a fork brace as well. Even better if it smells like Garlic....
  8. RuggedExposure

Oddometer:

Ya, way too expensive. I'm going to order 2 of these:
    http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/MOLLE-551

I bet this will strap to the tank just fine.

I usually carry in a holster on my gun side (right side), but since this is the throttle hand, I will need it to be easily reached with my left hand.
  9. RuggedExposure

Oddometer:
    TrailTech 8" race light, 55w. I got mine for $250 from Crfsonly.com

Its like riding with the sun.
  10. Ghostyman

Ghostyman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just PMed jag007 to get this going. I'm about 20 miles away and I'll haul one of my bikes over in my van if I can't get them running soon.
  11. Greg Bender

Greg Bender Long timer

Oddometer:
    Awesome!!!!!

Regards,

Gregory Bender
  12. jonnykilo

jonnykilo Viator

Oddometer:
    Anyone have a spare speedo cable for a 95S or SE they want to part with? If not, suggestions for suppliers - am just not sure if there is anything particular I should watch out for. Comments appreciated!

jak
  13. PWRCRZR

PWRCRZR Grumpy Old Bastard

Oddometer:
    Check out this guy here, I just saw a tank cover he made..I am sure he could help make a tank holster
    http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=487221
  14. mustangwagz

mustangwagz Been here awhile

Oddometer:

i bet! To bad they dont make a plastic front piece that goes around it, that'd be BITCHIN lookin! Ya could make some eyelashes on it and call it the CYCLECLOPS! (dun duun Duuuuuun!!!) also, i like the blacked out forks n stuff ya got going on, thats a look ive never seen. i think its pretty cool! Kudo's man!!

-WagZ-
  15. Royce Cochran

Royce Cochran was 2bold2getold

Oddometer:
    Here ya go.

[​IMG]
  16. RuggedExposure

Oddometer:
  17. RuggedExposure

Oddometer:

Thanks, I loosely based it off of this guy's build.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=528784

I was originally going to paint the whole bike black, but liked the look of the black and white.
  18. dirtysouthjacket

dirtysouthjacket Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've got a TankVest on my KLR. I really really like it. Here's a pic of it from a recent OBX trip. My buddy has a leather tank vest from somewhere else that you can see in the background on his 1100GS. His was a little cheaper, but as you can see isn't customizable.

[​IMG]

I got it on a whim since I did some other business with the owner Mike and have been very happy with it. I originally planned on only using it for camping/ longer rides. But since my last trip, I've had it on since. I also despise tank bags, and think its a vast improvement. I keep a water bottle and camera on left side, and a medium sized ammo pouch on the right side with tools, spare tube, patch kit, rag and gloves in it. I've also got a flashlight and tire pressure gage on it. Unfortunately my GF's glasses and hairbrush take up the leftover space where the firearms would go. :rofl

Its really heavy duty, very easy to clean, very quick to take on and off, and of course completely customizable. You can get a map pouch for the front and TankVest does sell long gun holsters as well. Only thing you have to think about planning wise is knee areas can only take thin items and the pouches have to be far enough forward to clear your knees (harder if you are really tall, I'm 6'). They also have options for IMS tanks. It's expensive, but definitely worth the money. (Like an expensive bike). I wonder if TankVest should start leaning towards higher end markets, since KLR owners are a little tight. But I've been very happy with my purchase.
  19. RuggedExposure

Oddometer:
    Too bad its on the wrong side!
  20. RuggedExposure

Oddometer:

Thanks for the info. I was wondering about the brush.
    With one of their 'long gun holsters', do you think I could fit this in there? Also is the long gun holster modular or is it attached straight to the tank vest?
    [​IMG]Or If not, maybe with the front grip removed:
    [​IMG]

I'm 6'2" so I also struggle with my legs hitting everything around the tank. I ordered two molle chest panels with straps (hopefully they will attach to the stock tank) for the time being since I'll probably get an Acerbis tank here before too long.
    When the new tank arrives and I'm not satisfied with the molle panels, I may contact them for a custom tank vest.