950 Supermoto Chronicles

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by wpbarlow, Jul 20, 2006.

1. Dahlin

Dahlin Need more time...

Oddometer:
    Last week I traded my KTM625SXC for a KTM 950 SM. Twice the power-twice the fun!:D

I have a Bridgestone 180/55-17 rear tire and it is very close to the chain guard, it is also clear wear marks from the chain in the edge of the tire.

Is this normal or have the previous owner screwd something up?
  2. KHVol

KHVol Long timer

Oddometer:
    It has never been a problem for me on any of my SM's....but it also doesn't happen on my 950...
  3. 900rider

900rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I doubt that's a problem. I don't have any clearance issues on my 950sm, but the 450exc I turned into a supermoto has bad chain rub on the tire (many do) No issues there either. That's a thick area of the tire.

My local dealer actually keeps a jack plane on hand specifically for shaving that area down on tires used for sumo conversions.

Post a pic of the area and we can go from there.
  4. snowhawk jockey

snowhawk jockey Slack Jaw Gaper

Oddometer:
    The other Center of the Universe: Bend, Oregon
    :doodNot sure there should be LC8 chain rubbing on the back tire. Especially with a 180/55, since it is stock width. The comments about the 450 are accurate and I, too, shaved to keep the chain off the edge of a 450SMR tire. The 950 has a wide swing arm and plenty of space for the chain and tire to live without rubbing. I'll double check my pics for a different story.

edit to add pic of sampa's :[​IMG]
  5. 900rider

Oddometer:
    Thats why I wanted a picture.

I don't think it should be rubbing either.
  6. snowhawk jockey

Oddometer:
    <TABLE style="BORDER-TOP-WIDTH: 0px" class=tborder border=0 cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=4 width="100%" align=center><TBODY><TR title="Post 19779770" vAlign=top><TD class=alt1>
    </TD></TR><TR><TD class=thead colSpan=2></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE style="BORDER-TOP-WIDTH: 0px" class=tborder border=0 cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=4 width="100%" align=center><TBODY><TR title="Post 19779770" vAlign=top><TD class=alt1>

</TD></TR><TR><TD class=thead colSpan=2>
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>Bet the last time the rear wheel was off, the axle alignment wasn't perfect and it has been re-mounted at a very slight angle. The hasher marks on the axle blocks will tell you if this is the story!
  7. KHVol

KHVol Long timer

Oddometer:
    That would be a wildly misaligned wheel..
  8. 900rider

Oddometer:
    I haven't had my rear wheel off in a while, possible to misalign by swapping the spacers by mistake?
  9. snowhawk jockey

Oddometer:
    Spacer got dropped, is more like it!!
    Edit to add: the sprocket bolts would rub on the swingarm with no spacer...
  10. samppa2005

samppa2005 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My chain took off a bit of the rear frame twice. Once because the shop (apparently since i hadn't touched it) had left the rear wheel misaligned. Wasn't much but enough for the engine breaking to push the chain to the rear frame. The second time was when my chain was weirdly worn so that the length was ok but it was really slack sideways. I think i mishandled the o-rings or something. Basically those are the only options i can come up with why the chain would rub.
  11. karviet

karviet Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you[

QUOTE=EastSideSM;19774506]Dubbleju motorcycles in sanfrancisco. They are awesome and some great riding any way you go.[/QUOTE]
  12. wpbarlow

wpbarlow Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just rolling along. Grabbed a dirt tag. The TKCs would have been useful for the 2 miles of mud getting the tag, but the Pilot 3's were preferred for the 250 miles of twisties to and from it :lol3

[​IMG]
  13. snowhawk jockey

Oddometer:

Another bow to Mr Barlow and his route selection!:D

Surely you have found a lighter and cooler running set of cans by now???
    The fact you are still running stock exhaust is interesting. It must serve your purpose some how?
  14. Dahlin

Dahlin Need more time...

Oddometer:
    I am not worried about the tire, there is plenty of rubber in that area, but I am conserned about the wheel and its position in the swing arm.
    When mounted in the correct position, it should not rub the chain guard and the chain, I doubt that it was the KTM engineers intention.

There seems to be a spacer on both sides of the wheel, I will take the wheel of the bike and look more careful.

The chain and sprockets are really worn, I have new parts that will go on the bike this weekend, maybe that will be the end of the chain rubbing the tire.

How do I attach a picture? Link to picture: http://www.sporthoj.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=371401&d=1349896548
  15. snowhawk jockey

Oddometer:

hth
  16. corndog67

corndog67 Banned

Oddometer:
    Subject change.

My stock tire is 180/55. Will a 190 fit? Does it speed up the steering? 55 or 50 series? Thanks.
  17. Dahlin

Dahlin Need more time...

Oddometer:
    Updated with link.
  18. EastSideSM

EastSideSM Isn't that dangerous?

Oddometer:
    I would think it would be slower turning? Why do you want to go with a 190? There are even less options in that tire size. A 50 would have a flatter profile and the extra width in my mind would make it harder to turn in.

MY RC51 has a 190/50 and to me it is harder to turn the bike (than my SM which I run the stock 180/55) unless you are at speed. Around town speeds, it takes a good shove to get her into a turn.
  19. EastSideSM

EastSideSM Isn't that dangerous?

Oddometer:
    Walter, why are you still running those stock cans!!??? I still have the scar on my arm from when I had those and reached over the bike for something, I can still feel the blistering thinking about it.
  20. SONG

SONG Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    i had similar issues with the chain rubbing the edge of the tire when the chain was due for replacement. i'd check your chain and see if it its within spec. i think the owner's manual lists a measurement.