Helping a friend with a scooter

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by damasovi, Dec 3, 2012.

1. damasovi

damasovi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi,

Some of you may know I have a Honda Beat scooter, so the other day a friend calls me at work and tells me "can you please tell my class I won't make it, the transmission on my car just quit" We are both Faculty at the same University, so I did what he ask.

So 1 day latter he calls me and tells me that he needs a new transmission. and that it will be difficult to pay for it now. So I did what I tough was normal, I offer him my scooter. Why not? he is a good friend, has experience with motorcycles and I hope I can help him in a modest way.

It has been a week and he is hook on scootering!! now he even did 2 up shopping with his wife, and soon (a week or so) will fix his suv!

Life is good! maybe I will never get my scooter back! lol!!!

Have a great day everyone!

Damasovi
  2. High Country Herb

High Country Herb Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer:
    You are a good friend. A scooter sounds like a great way to get around Ensenada. No wonder he is hooked! :clap
  3. Starbuck21

Starbuck21 Manly scooterist!

Oddometer:
    You are a good friend to loan him your scooter!!! Don't forget to point him to this forum when he gets his own scooter (or steals yours :rofl),
  4. JerryH

JerryH Vintage scooter/motorcycle enthusiast Supporter

Oddometer:
    Must be a really good friend. I would never consider loaning a motor vehicle to anyone. First, motor vehicles are my hobby, and I would never trust anyone with them. I like to think that nobody treats vehicles as good as I do, and I'm probably right. Second, there is a HUGE matter of insurance. In the U.S., if you let someone operate your vehicle, you are responsible. If they have an accident, your insurance rates triple for three years (thats in AZ, other stated may be different) even getting a ticket in your vehicle can raise your insurance. Insurance companies in the U.S. are licensed to rob you blind, and do they ever take advantage of it. Many years ago I bumped into the car behind me in a high school parking lot. It was graduation night, and traffic was a real mess. There was no visible damage to either vehicle, but the other driver filed a claim, and it cost me over $3000 in increased insurance rates.

Now I would be happy to give them a ride, even for a couple of weeks or so. But nobody but me drives or rides my vehicles.
  5. damasovi

damasovi Long timer

Oddometer:
    I see you point!! $3,000 WOW!!! I don't have a vehicle that cost that much! Insurance here is a flat fee regardless of driving habits or records, maybe it goes up or down with age (I do not know). So if I get a ticket or 1,000 it does not drive the insurance rate a single dollar.

And yes he is a good friend.

Damasovi
  6. fullmetalscooter

fullmetalscooter Let me take this duck off

Oddometer:
    good for you hope it gets returned as was. Hope the honda beat isn't all that beat at the end of it. :freaky
  7. csisfun

csisfun Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The only thing I can say is...

¡Viva México, cabrones!
  8. Forde

Forde Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    wow, you sound like an exciting guy and good friend lol bikes and cars are my hobby too and its nice to share your hobbies with your friends! i tossed my mate the keys to my brand new bike with 30 miles on the clock and got on his 98 R1 whilst we did laps of dundrod ulster grand prix circuit a few months ago. good times. also its a scooter that cost like £1100 new its not a ferrari lol

why you so worked up about it, just add them as a named rider on your own insurance and have them pay the small monthly cost or else get them to take out their own insurance on a pay-monthly or even pay-weekly basis whilst they use it.

not like damasovi is even in the us.

where i live, most car and bike insurance policies cover you to ride/drive vehicles belonging to others. i am sure the usa is similar and people borrow cars all the time.
  9. damasovi

damasovi Long timer

Oddometer:
    thanks for the comments, and even my wife said something about lending the bike to my compadre. I once read that if lend someone money and they never repay you, then you got of cheap from a friendship that wasn't! and all you lost was some money. Yes it is a inexpensive scooter, not a ferrari, still it is the one I could buy so it is important to me, and if it does not return, well I will pay for it!

Anyway, it is a thing, a thing I love, but still a thing, I am too old to worry about things, that is why we get insurance, right?

I will ask my compadre to check the oil to be sure, and next weekend it is going to service for the 1 year service.

Cheers

Damasovi
  10. JerryH

JerryH Vintage scooter/motorcycle enthusiast Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes, people here do borrow cars all the time. And if they have an accident, it's the car owner who pays. Only the owner can insure the car, they are the one taking the risk if they loan it to someone.
  11. larrylarry75

larrylarry75 Aye Chihuahua

Oddometer:
    Frankly I can't imagine what it would be like to hold a bunch of vehicles at greater value than friendship, that sounds really sad. If you can't trust your friends maybe it's time to do a bit of re-evaluation about who you hang out with?

LL75
  12. Forde

Forde Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    so you are telling me that there is no named driver facility on US insurance. i.e. that i own a car and have it insured and cannot add another individual to the policy, like my wife or son. i am the only person that can drive the car?

also, you have no extension clause in your policy? my policy covers me on my car, but has a clause which covers me to drive any other vehicle as long as it is not owned by me, rented, and i have the owners permission. so if i borrow a car, i am insured to drive it by my own policy. most policies here have that. also i have added my GF to the policy as a named driver so she can drive my car.

i find it hard to believe that the USA does not offer these services which are common elsewhere.
  13. Forde

Forde Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    well said
  14. damasovi

damasovi Long timer

Oddometer:
    after a couple of weeks that my friend has had the scooter, he call me and said his SUV is now running and fix, so any time I want him to bring the scooter he can do it.

I saw him last Saturday and he came in the Beat and had done just under 200 km and all is well. I hope he can buy his scooter one day (or this one!)

So today I will pick her up and take her for service tomorrow (1 year service!)

Cheers

Damasovi