Super Enduro racing a Hare Scramble with an HP2

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by fastdirt505, Dec 3, 2012.

1. fastdirt505

fastdirt505 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Man these comments made it all worth it. I'd be lying if I said I did it without knowing it would get noticed. So thanks a lot. The next round will be around Feb. 1st in Cedartown, GA. @ Highland Park.

I had one of best suspension guys around re valve the forks just two days prior. I only bottomed once but I wasn't jumping either. I need stiffer springs but he didn't have any around....and would have someting that stiff just laying around. So, I need a stiffer spring to push harder but they did fine actually compared to it before where it would bottom. Now the truth, I'm fat.. 250 lbs. fat. I am working hard on that. Was 260 and now 245, hope to be less than 220 and continue mtn. biking. So 250 plus 10 lb. tech10's, and another 10 maybe for camel back,helmet, chest prot. etc.etc. The bike 420 with 3.5 gals. gas., 1 gallon oil, 1/2 gallon anti freeze:D I bet the bike is 460ish me 270ish. Either way we're over 700 lbs. :eek1 WTHeck!

I mounted brand new Geomax intermediates. 120 rear. I paid to mount S-12's two days before but lost sleep thinking what the hell, that front tire is going to fold like crazy on hard pack. Swapped to the Geomax and I was calm again. I had over 20 psi when mounted but used poor judgement in dropping to 18 psi. thinking I'd get a bit more grab, Since the SE doesn't run rear rim locks stock, I completely never thought about it. It's been 4 years since I raced and you forget things...like twisting the throttle before the bike starts on the dead engine start. Also a mistake. I got a flat on the last little log obstacle before the start/finish line and I was done after just one lap and was literally and mentally deflated. Major bummer.

The guy on the HP2 was ripping beacuse I became a spectator after one lap and witnessed it. Jeff was ripping too on his big SE also, and we mixed it up a bit but we were starting on the last row and had some 150 lb. bike to be careful around. Hopefully next time the organizer will move us up a row. The HP2 finished first. He roosted me like I've never felt before. I knew at the time it was insane roost, but didn't realize it was the HP2 till watching the footage. I mean 2mm to left and the footage would have been ruined by roost. I was going to remove the center stand for the big pipe obstacles but thought I'd just go around them instead. A fellow ADVrider was watching the bimmer navigate through the tires and said he yanked a tire out some to make room for him to clear the big motor through. Would have loved to see that and film it, too cool.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    At the race with a race number. How cute:lol3 I'm still in pain from pushing it up the ramp with a flat tire on pure adrenaline. I was frustrated and just wanted to get out of there, but luckily hit reverse and hung out with good peeps to watch the racers finish and talk dirt bikes making for a good day after all.
    [​IMG]
  2. Groundhog

Groundhog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great, great footage. Thanks so much.

Don't know why, but for some reason it reminded me of hare scrambles in the early 60s. I had a BSA 441 Victor then, but there were quite a few 650 BSA and Triumphs! Must be the heavy 2 cylinder 4 stroke sound that brought back those memories. Anyway, thanks again for the "ride".
  3. GSMarc

GSMarc Long timer

Oddometer:
    it is the best footage I've seen with big enduro bikes.
    Thank you.
  4. SpeedyR

SpeedyR SE in the SE

Oddometer:
    another view (albeit a bit slower) of parts of the race as well. camera was pointed too low (I'm used to the chest mount on my 450), and I got hosed at the start with mud from the HP2e, so there's a nice blob on the lens.. but at least it's another aspect of the race. Like I said I need to be more aggressive in my passing, I just rode around till I had a good spot to pass.

But it was fun and i'll be back for more. This was my second off road race, and have only had the 950 about a month or two so far. stupid fun. :D

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ZmjB5Xb2RcQ" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>
  5. sakurama

sakurama on an endless build Supporter

Oddometer:
    Impressive riding man.

G
  6. fastdirt505

fastdirt505 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Awesome Jeff. For your second race you're riding great. Those little guys did about wad us up on that first jump. Imagine if that happened....two idiots on SE' s crashing into one another. I see you moved to a new start postion. I bought the chest mount and tried it once and didn't like the results. Too low. Kailub Russel has the best GoPro footage on youtube and he wipes the lens clean every so often.

You need to send your suspension to Brett B. if it's bottoming. You've got my utmost respect. Let's ride....
  7. Fast1

Fast1 Twisted Throttle

Oddometer:
    I thought the second film footage was great.. I was able to get a better concept of the terrain, rocks, jumps, ledges, tires and log crossings. Looks like it was a blast. Even felt like I had mud on my goggles.. :D
  8. brents347

brents347 Trusting my Cape...

Oddometer:
    The back of the pack I can understand, but why would they start the 1000cc bikes with the mini's?
  9. Off Road Ryder

Off Road Ryder Long timer

Oddometer:
    maybe the big bikes needed some traction:lol3
  10. Qwik

Qwik Adrenaline Addict Supporter

Oddometer:
    :poser:yikes
  11. ABuck99

ABuck99 0.0

Oddometer:
    whoo hoo- live action!

Great video!! You can ride a 9fiddy!
  12. DirtyDog

DirtyDog Omnia mea mecum porto Supporter

Oddometer:
    Very Nice.
  13. skipman

skipman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    sweet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! gotta love smoking two smokers...lol
  14. Iwantabikesobad

Iwantabikesobad Long timer

Oddometer:
    :bow Just WOW. I can only imagine the hail storm of rocks.
  15. Katoom119

Katoom119 Mmmm....Orange Kool-aid

Oddometer:
    That was amazing! I actually checked at one point to make sure I didn't have the YouTube settings on 1.5x speed. :lol3

I'm going to do my best to get down there to one of those, that looks like a great track for my 990.
  16. fastdirt505

fastdirt505 Adventurer

Oddometer:

I don't think anyone knew the bikes would be competitive. I am really hoping the organizer will move us up a row for this next one coming up. Hopefully other ADV/twins will show up too.

All the comments are great too. Makes it worth the time to film, edit, upload etc..
  17. CollinsB

CollinsB Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great video...It looked like the playground bully picking on kids riding little 125's