Left Lane Blockers

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by TrashCan, Mar 20, 2012.

1. lethe

lethe Long timer

Oddometer:
    I know, just you said it wasn't illegal and I knew in a bunch of places it technically is.
    Probably more of a chance getting in trouble for something dangerous like spitting on the sidewalk though
  2. g®eg

g®eg world's fastest drone

Oddometer:
    according to the former governor they are just being "cautious & careful"
  3. 2handedSpey

2handedSpey bunned

Oddometer:

Because they're from Portland Oregon?!?!?!
  4. 211Chuck

211Chuck Eat,Sleep,Breath M/C

Oddometer:

I've never seen it as a big deal on my motorcycle because it is so easy to pass everything on the road
    if your paying attention to your riding while on a motorcycle. :wink:

Relax twist the throttle and enjoy"
  5. Bill Harris

Bill Harris Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer:
    OMG, I've never considered that. Dozens of Hardleys/Hardley Clones being toted in a 60' "800-Haul-Bike" trailer? I knew that people trailered bikes on to events like that, but I had no idea it is done on such a grand scale. :eek1

I've never even considered trailering to an event like that, since the trip is half the fun. Guess I'm too Old-School.
  6. TrashCan

TrashCan Scary Jerry

Oddometer:

Oh I got around them, but it damn sure wasn't easy.

Traffic was bumper to bumper in the middle lane, less in the right lane, and the GROUP riders in the left.

This shit went on for 200 miles.

And what part of the country are you in that makes passing packs of riders and doing it easy???
  7. Iron Dingo

Iron Dingo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    i have to admit i have thought about it but mostly so i could get there in 1 shot and then enjoy the area and not spend 1/2 of my vaca time getting out of the slush and rain of early spring in NE. I have made 2 trips south and it started with 2 days to get south enough to start to feel warm and 2 days going back to the cold. All of that just on the highway.. talk about dull.
  8. Tuna Helper

Tuna Helper Rawrr!

Oddometer:
    If you've never driven a big truck pulling a large trailer, you really have no idea how clueless most drivers are.
  9. ricochetrider

ricochetrider MotoMojo

Oddometer:
    Sitting in the left lane, OR IN ANY lane- and being totally oblivious to your surroundings is just plain ignorant, equates to a complete lack of courtesy, and in no way can realistically be called "safe".

I got stuck behind a "rolling roadblock" this weekend- a guy and his wife on their HDs, traveling at 35-40 MPH, 150 feet apart from one another on a 2 lane road that most folks do 60 on- the speed limit is 45. With 3 or 4 cars or trucks and us, on a bike, stacked up behind them, they puttered on down the road, completely unaware of who or what was behind them.

WTF are mirrors for?
    Do these FFs even LOOK in their mirrors?
    Not as far as I know, they don't.

If you're one of these assholes that camp out in the left lane because you think it's your "right" to do so, then don't fuckin cry when I run your slow, stupid ass over. Fuck you, and your mom, AND the horse that dragged you both from your own little world into the real world. :1drink

Lead.
    Follow.
    Or get the hell out of the way. :deal
  10. lethe

lethe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Being on the road as much as I am (albeit just in cars and bikes), I'd have to say that your ranks are getting infiltrated with some pretty poor drivers these days too. Probably not to the same percentage as what you find in cars and light trucks but still plenty worrisome.
  11. 211Chuck

Oddometer:
    I use to live in your neck of the woods: Charlotte NC. area. My wife and I use to ride to Daytona Florida many
    times a year in the winter to visit & ride with friends. We use to run 100+MPH most all the way down and back.

You are correct traffic is a bear, but I found if your timing is good and your going fast enough the traffic was
    just a good fun high speed chess game.... :wink: If you think your traffic was bad try coming home the day
    after the Daytona 500 like we did one year. Bike week traffic is a tic tac toe game compared to Daytona 500
    traffic...:eek1

We also rode 50,000 to 80,000 miles a year in the Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains every year we lived
    there (13 years) Traffic in the mountains in the summer is a bear also, but I found if I made a high speed
    chess game out of it also it really wasn't a biggie either.

I think it's more, all about how you choose to play life's games. Some choose to just be in the game,others
    choose to win the game every time they play.
  12. TrashCan

TrashCan Scary Jerry

Oddometer:

:topes
  13. 211Chuck

Oddometer:
    No problem, you ride and believe what you want my friend. One thing I've learned in close to 2 million miles
    & 45 years of riding motorcycles is: Social Club (owners) have no idea what motorcyclists will or can do on
    a motorcycle.

You ride safe now Ya Hear" :D
  14. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    Container drayage companies will hire drivers no other company would touch and there are other fly by night opperations out there but their days are numbered. The Dot is getting aggressive about bad drivers and companies.
  15. lethe

lethe Long timer

Oddometer:
    I hope so, I've seen them drive as bad as a teenager texting and it's amazing that every day one is getting stuck under a bridge on a parkway/ Also, it seems like the worst ones hit the road at the same time as me.
  16. TrashCan

TrashCan Scary Jerry

Oddometer:

And what kind of bike do I ride.:ear

You barking up the wrong tree young man.:D
  17. beechum1

beechum1 Dandole Gas al Burro

Oddometer:
    instead, just speed up a little bit, just enough to shut them down. I do it in the minivan, I just wait and watch for them to come, and shut them down every time. It's the only way they'll learn to pay attention.

Or not. But I do my part.
  18. theDoktor

theDoktor Husky Racer

Oddometer:
    Trash Can, you missed the best part of being a Left Lane Bandit- you are now qualified to square-off your exit, no matter how many lanes or adjacent traffic! Solid painted lines on the sides of the road don't mean anything either- as long as there's something that resembles pavement, just close your eyes, turn and you're good to go. Turn signals are absolutely optional.:eek1

We've got another specialty around here- if traffic is backed-up on a limited access highway, you can exit whenever and wherever you want. Pickups and SUV's are particularly adept at this, but everyone can play. Sometimes they even look at on-coming traffic on the adjacent service roads before pulling in front of it from the unpaved shoulder. These techniques apparently have the apparent tacit approval of the state DOT and local, county and state LEO's based on personal observations over the last 30 or so years here. Needless to say, all this makes riding here "challenging".

Some states do enforce failing to keep right except to pass. Around here, Oklahoma & Arksansas get a pretty good number of Texas drivers and riders for this violation, even though it's the (mostly unenforced) law here too. New York & Ohio seem to be pretty strict on enforcing this too. Just depends on how revenue hungry the state is, I guess. Personally, I'd much prefer enforcing this over speeding (within reason). After all, the design of the interstate highway system is based on the design of the Autobahn, where keeping right except to pass is rigidly enforced and obeyed by (almost) all. Passing on the right is severely frowned on there. The system actually works very well- when it's properly used. Just not so much here in the states.
  19. 211Chuck

Oddometer:

Thank you, it's been many,many years since anyone has called me a young man"

You just made my day,week,month he!! maybe even my year :lol3

I hope you ride a pretty orange bike like mine you have"

You ride safe Buddy" :nod
  20. Florida Lime

Florida Lime Long timer

Oddometer:

Left laning can be illegal, depending on the state.

Passing on the right can be legal, depending on the state.

You need to get off the soapbox, and out, more often. :snore