Is Mexico Safe?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Arte, Feb 1, 2010.

1. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:
    North Carrollton, MS - Traveling on the Moto

I just sold my 2002 KLR with over 87,000 miles. I have actually had three folks on it while in Mexico, but it don't make a good two up touring moto. Same with the Dr650. Plus, I think the higher elevations in South America welcome fuel injection, especially on motos with low HP to begin with. However, as you suggest, the less things to go wrong equals less things that go wrong.

I had a problem with my R1100GS on the last trip to Central America. It was a pain in the butt identifying the problem, but once the Hall's Sensor was replaced it was fine. I also changed the FD bearing and seal about 50,000 miles ago. Those two issues, plus a few fork seals and a 2/3 shift fork are my total problems with this moto in 80,000 miles! Almost half of those miles are south of the border running Libre Roads, speed bumps and all. So, added complexity does not always equal more problems.

In my experience, most of the thumpers won't go much more than 30,000 miles without a top end overhaul, while the larger motos can easily see 100,000 miles or more without problems. My recently sold Goldwing had over 242,000 miles. Simple Thumpers have their place, but they are not necessarily the best motos for mega mile tours.
  2. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:
    North Carrollton, MS - Traveling on the Moto
    Not a single "new reply" all day! :eek1
  3. WeazyBuddha

WeazyBuddha Carbon-Based Humanoid

Oddometer:
    those pedos de monja left everyone speechless :lol3
  4. pilot815

pilot815 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Did just short of 450 miles today. Mix of back roads and major highway. Just another couple hundred miles tomorrow and I will be back home. The weather has been perfect this whole trip. We figured today would be warm, and as soon as it got a little too warm, the skies clouded up and we got a nice sprinkle that was just enought to cool us down and not soak us. Its been a great few days. As always, I never want to leave, but it will be nice to be in my own bed tomorrow.

It has been an adventure.

[​IMG]
  5. Arte

Arte Pata de Perro

Oddometer:

lol3 I'm just picturing our most famost Mexican nun... Sor Juana Ines de la Cruz...... nothing to do with the fact she was lesbian..... just that this is an unknow real antique history not taught on our mexican schools... :D
  6. Arte

Arte Pata de Perro

Oddometer:
    Great Ride Cory :clap
  7. rockymountainoyster

rockymountainoyster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    But not windless...
  8. Arte

Arte Pata de Perro

Oddometer:
    hahah... like in a batman movie... holy saint farts ..... http://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/farting/super-fart.gif
  9. SkizzMan

SkizzMan Me caigo, me levanto

Oddometer:
    Plans being made.

Soon.
  10. MikeMike

MikeMike Long timer

Oddometer:
    Note to self: Avoid standing near Arte during a lightning storm.:deal
  11. WeazyBuddha

WeazyBuddha Carbon-Based Humanoid

Oddometer:
    He's the guy who did the New Year's jump I assume "everyone" has seen, here it is just in case... :huh

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/MLejkyXbJlc" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>
  12. R-W

R-W Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I guess I am the only one that did not see this... Damn! :huh
    Thanks for posting!
  13. MikeMike

MikeMike Long timer

Oddometer:
    He would really like the road between Alto Lucero and Plan de las Hayas.
    The section that washed out a few years ago during Hurricane Karl is still, well, washed out. There are 4 distinct parts to this section.

The set up: You are cruising either from Alto Lucero or to Alto Lucero and you hit a stretch where you can actually get out of 2nd gear (or 4th if you are on a KLR) because there are fewer potlholes per square meter of "road". There is a blind corner on both sides of this little marvel of highway engineering mixed with the wrath of mother nature.

The execution: Yours. If you are not lucky. What happens is, the road literally disappears from in front of you. There is a massive gap and a helluva drop (one scale more than "heckuva" on the drop scale). If you are lucky, you can at least nudge your arse out of the seat and make a half assed (or arsed) attempt at trying to unweight the bike a little.

The realization: This is when you understand that you are probably going to make it if you just hang on and don't do anything really silly.

The denouement: (a word little used on this thread but really should be used more, it fits many events here perfectly) Might include a lost filling from a tooth if one is loose, a quarter inch of tongue missing if it was sticking out of your mouth when the surprise happened, but is generally limited to a "chupon" on your seat cover.

Never forget: An AirHawk is very good for concealing evidence.:deal

The magic is that the thing works in either direction. At one point, someone had stuck a pie plate in a tree as some kind of an advanced warning. So, the rule is, when you see a pie plate hanging from a string in a tree, pay attention.

For those keeping track of such things, this is the road where the Mystery Rider was trying to entice the goat, a boulder half the size of a Volkswagen occupies a lane after a blind corner, and rusted barbed wire is used for a guardrail, but only on the parts where the drops are more than about 500 meters.

Andres and Arte are intimately acquainted with this little stretch of road, too. Everyone owes it to themselves and their cardiologist to ride it at least once.
  14. rockymountainoyster

Oddometer:
  15. MikeMike

MikeMike Long timer

Oddometer:
  16. rockymountainoyster

Oddometer:
    RMO is back on the air tomorrow...10 AM to noon mountain daylight time. Streaming live at KOTo_Org...91.7 FM from Telluride,CO. Call with comments or requests: 970-728-4333...you will be live on the air...be nice!
  17. SkizzMan

SkizzMan Me caigo, me levanto

Oddometer:
    Buzzkill.
  18. MikeMike

MikeMike Long timer

Oddometer:
    Will George Hamilton play Schizz in the movie version?
  19. Bato

Bato Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well it seems some amigos didn't like what I posted here last or maybe like some one said they don like me at all., irelevant I know there some bandidos in Mexico and the rest of the world . recently spend 15 days in Mexico City wearing my two tone submarine a the triple dimond ring that belonged to grand pa the only razon i dont carry a drop off wallet is because i carry too many shit and i'm affraid that i could get confuse and dont know which one is keeper and which oh and i would not worry to put my bike inside the lobby or the hotel room if some one would want to steal my bike they would get it no matter what I'm in acuna visting the grand kidas with my submarine ring and a gold chain that bought ten years ago in Milano Italy at the dutty free airport store and Im not going to worry until shit hits the fan.
    last night all the disco clubs here where pcacked bu most teenage girls
    Saludos specially to KIKO I know he does like me
    and remember I was born a rebel and still are if there is a code of thinking here mail it to me :lol3
  20. Bato

Bato Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oh and remember Mexico adventure insurance will pay for your bike if it gets stolen so just enjoy like if you cant prevent to be rape :poser

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/bkjmzEEQUlE?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>