2014 Perry Mountain Motorcycle Club 24 Hour Challenge

Discussion in 'Racing' started by Al Goodwin, Feb 20, 2014.

1. Al Goodwin

Al Goodwin Long timer

Oddometer:
    June 7-8.

You ever ridden a 24 Hour long Hare-Scramble? Here's your chance.

Perry Mountain 24 Hour Challenge(Perry Mountain Motorcycle Club) Mapelsville, Al.

I'll post a link just as soon as they have one up on their web-site.

I've finished 3rd in 2012, 4th last year in the 40+ Ironman class.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12 Hours in

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. bh321

bh321 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I was just talking to my buddy on facebook about getting back down to this race either this year or 2015. I've enjoyed reading your race reports from perry mountain. did you ever do a report/recap from 2013?
  3. Al Goodwin

Al Goodwin Long timer

Oddometer:
    I believe I did...Hmm..can't remember for sure. I know I did one over at www.Bamarides.com though. I had a good race there 2013. I set a goal of 15 laps before the lights went on, a little over 10 mile laps. I done them in 5 lap sessions, then limited my breaks to 15 minutes. I got that done, but...my after dark laps didn't amount to as many as I had hoped.

No mechanical problems, just lack of proper fitness level. I rode more laps than the year before, but fell to 4th in the 40+ class(the largest class there:huh)...

I'll try to make it there again, but as of now my work schedule interferes with it.

I'll try and keep this updated as information comes out.
  4. Al Goodwin

Al Goodwin Long timer

Oddometer:
  5. smithpa68

smithpa68 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Did it in 2010. It WILL push you to your limits. But you always look back on the tough ones and remember them fondly. :beer
  6. Al Goodwin

Al Goodwin Long timer

Oddometer:
    I hate to say it, but this event has been getting fewer entries the last couple of years. I hate seeing it dwindle down.

We need to spread the word, although it's still a BIG event, we need more entries.

I'll be in the 40+ Iron man class once again, 49 years old.....next year-50+ class.

I'll be on my trusty XR400 again, although, after 3 consecutive years on the same engine, it's getting a new top-end.
  7. Stagehand

Stagehand Imperfectionist

Oddometer:
    Sounds like fun :D
  8. Al Goodwin

Al Goodwin Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's a HOOT !!!!!:freaky

But, the following Monday morning isn't very fun.:huh
  9. Al Goodwin

Al Goodwin Long timer

Oddometer:
  10. RichardD

RichardD Long timer

Oddometer:
    Where are the results listed for 2014 ?
  11. RealityRules

RealityRules Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In my van, down by the river. Really! (IA or GA.)
    I did it in '07 & '08. It kicked my butt both times.. Not to be undertaken lightly, & I didn't. Just a few tactical errors. :evil :deal
  12. Barry

Barry Just Beastly

Oddometer:
    DAYUM... Hard enough in a team, but solo???
  13. Damonator

Damonator Scorpion

Oddometer:
    I gotta tell you fellas. I helped several friends in the pits during the 2004 PMC after being deployed for a year in the Army. I used to race Hare Scrambles, Motocross and Enduros in the mid-late 70's and again in the late 90's. While helping my friends in their pit in 2004; U4 permeated my soul once again. They thought I was crazy and too old but I had a plan and got it done. It's the most grueling race I've ever entered. The only was I survived and ended up placing 2nd Ironman 40+ was my pit crew (son and friend). I'll never forget crossing the finish line, nor my friend, son and family telling me I placed 2nd. Of course the Army took me out of play again for several years but reading these threads sure brings back the good ole smell of U4 and my Katoom 450MXC blazing down 100mph field, especially at night without a rear brake. Good times and many memories and friends. I sure feel old now. image1 copy.JPG
    DC950 and Stagehand like this.