The Africa Twin XRV650 & XRV750 thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by iswoolley, Aug 23, 2004.

1. oly_ro

oly_ro I STAND ALONE

Oddometer:
    few pages ago i was wondering about 150/70/17 michelin anakee .....well it fits and it acts right on my africa :D ,tho i only took it for a quick spin coze it's fucking winter over here and it's killing us :cry
  2. Twiniver

Twiniver Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey Andy.

Lots of guys from the Danish Transalp/Africa Twin/ Varadero club buy used parts from the Endurobunker, they even have used motors!!! I will let you know if i will be in your area, i have been in Germany alot of times, and Austria, we went on the Grosglockner and around... Let me know if you burn rubber in Denmark, i live in Aarhus secon largest town in Denmark!!!

Prost Iver
  3. Andy G

Andy G 2wheeled alpinist

Oddometer:
    Salut Thierry,

the company is called Boano, their products are sold in Germany via AfricanQueens with all the papers you need here. I got one on my Transalp, looks like that:

[​IMG]

Many people form the German AT club use them in different sizes (AFAIR 34l, 42l and around 50l). They don't fit very well on the bike, but the GFK / fiberglass / epoxy stuff is easy to work with. For the RD07 there is also a nylon tank sold via Touratech which is said to fit better but I did not see it myself yet.

Cheers, Andy
  4. Andy G

Andy G 2wheeled alpinist

Oddometer:
    Yeah, it's a nice shop, I got the last stator for my TA from them... they have good prices and ship rather fast.

Thanks for the invitation, I'll give you a call. It's said you have some nice gravel roads up there. The plans for 2009 will lead Hardheader and me to the south: the big sandbox is calling us to go to Tunesia.

Cheers, Andy
  5. kktos

kktos on a bright side of life

Oddometer:
    hallo Andy.
    Vielen dank for the info.
    do you have by any chance any pictures with an AT ?
    bis bald,
    /thierry
  6. Andy G

Andy G 2wheeled alpinist

Oddometer:
    AQ 56l fibreglass:
    [​IMG]

AQ 45l fibreglass:
    [​IMG]

AQ 35l fibreglass:
    [​IMG]

Touratech 45l nylon made by Elkamet:
    [​IMG]

btw. nice Morocco RR! Great pix!

Cheers, Andy
  7. Tony T

Tony T Long timer

Oddometer:
    Was it any of you lot I saw on the GOR over the weekend? :D
  8. atgreg

atgreg Africatwinarama

Oddometer:
    not me :dunno , Oz or euro plates ??
  9. Tony T

Tony T Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sorry, didn't notice.
    I was parked 5km East of Apollo Bay when he came past. Pretty loaded up and had a sheepskin seatcover I think, which makes me think Aussie.
    One of the few bikers riding within his limits too............ :evil
  10. locorider

locorider Loco, pero no estúpido!

Oddometer:
    A bigger tank ads lots of weight, and in the wrong area! Consider that!

Great pictures and I love that blue color!

11. locorider

Oddometer:
    Luner:

Thats a great idea. It could be made to hang lower to hold panniers if you need to! Awesome!

12. max.headroom

max.headroom That "Retro" Digital, Ummmm ..... Dude.

Oddometer:
    Simply splendid ..... :thumb

I wanna go to Morroco now, as well as, Oz ...... :D

Outstanding setup, eh .........

G.
  13. max.headroom

max.headroom That "Retro" Digital, Ummmm ..... Dude.

Oddometer:
    Lovely .......

Great pics! :lol3

G.
  14. Andy G

Andy G 2wheeled alpinist

Oddometer:
    I don't know of any better place on the bike. And for the Sahara the 400km on road or 250km in deep sand of the original AT tank are insufficient.
  15. kktos

kktos on a bright side of life

Oddometer:
    yep.
    that's why Anton wishes to have a greater capacity tank. just a tad bigger. not too much, u're right, or the AT will be a pain.
  16. locorider

Oddometer:
    The AT is a top heavy bike and a bigger tank will make it even more. If you can deal with it, is your choice, go for it.

But there are other means, like the side panels tanks. You can buy a side panel tank here... http://www.boano.com/special.asp?id=51&mod=no which will help in keeping the weight low, while adding 17 liters of petrol.

Another radical move, will be to build a tank where the airbox/ or battery box resides, if possible. I've heard about this before but dont know if it is possible.
  17. atgreg

atgreg Africatwinarama

Oddometer:
    Interesting email I got :evil :evil

Hi Greg

I have two sets of oversized pistons. Both of them have been used, but only very briefly. One pair of pistons are 82mm which gives a capacity of 760cc's. The other pair are 87mm and give a capacity of 860cc's. Both are in excellent condition and come with piston rings and pins. The 87mm pistons are on an engine that has been modified, therefore, to take the larger pistons new oversized liners were inserted into the barrel. Also, the crank cases had to be bored to accept the larger liners and a pair of high performance conrods were manufactured for this engine. Also, the cylinder heads on this engine have been gas flowed. All of this is available, although I do not know how much it would cost so far as postage is concerned. I see from your email address that you are in Australia. Where abouts are you?

I will try and take some photographs and email them to you when I get a minute.

Regards
    Bobs
  18. Gian

Gian dreamer

Oddometer:
    Today it's exactly twenty years from the last 11th Paris Dakar stage, so I thought it would be nice to upload my little effort, here:

http://www.nightwings.org/Marathon/Marathon-home.html

only in Italian and a work in progress, I'm still collecting infos and photos and when complete I'll try to translate in English and French.
    :wave
  19. Papa Pete

Papa Pete RIDES RED

Oddometer:
    Not to piss on your parade, but aren't you riding a want to be Africa twin?

The rally bikes all had the larger tanks and the seat tanks for more petrol. So whats the big deal, the bigger tanks carry the fuel low on the sides of the motor. That looks alright to me.:D
  20. locorider

Oddometer:
    Papa Pete:

I said that if thats ok for him, go for it! Yes I'm riding a "want to be AT" TA, (And I dont want to hurt your feelings:lol3, but it is "basically", and I mean "basically" the same bike with a bigger tank and better looks! ) and it is top heavy. That doesnt mean I dont like them. But if there is a way to make them lighter, why not do it.

But again, if thats the only option for long travel, make it bigger and fill-it-up!

Luner:

I wonder, why did you took off the gas tank at the mudhole?