KLR650 Only Thread......

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by willys, Nov 19, 2011.

1. XDragRacer

XDragRacer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Regrets if this information is redundant, but--a friend with a non-helper-lever center stand tilts his KLR650 over on its sidestand, raising the rear wheel, then deploys the center stand with his foot, allowing the bike to return upright as the weight is transfered to the now extended center stand.

Kinda hard to describe in words, but--tilting the bike initially onto the side stand provides enough clearance to lower the center stand; when the bike returns to a vertical position the machine is suspended on the center stand. This technique appears less physically stressful than lifting the bike onto the center stand straight away.

Again, regrets if this information is repetitive or obvious; offered constructively in case it may be helpful.

I have a Happy Trails adjustable center stand with assist lever on my bike; still, getting the rear wheel off the ground can be a challenge.
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  2. Canuman

Canuman Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer:
    Thanks. That's about how I've been doing it. I see that HT offers a grab handle that might make the process a bit more fluid, but Jeez, $40 for a loop of mild steel? Maybe I'll weld one of those RV jacks on the side instead. I can buy one of those cheap at Tractor Supply.

I don't envy the fellows on the GS1200s and the current crop of bigass DS bikes. My friend Cap'n Jay weighed his GS1200A loaded for bear and it came up well over 800 lbs. Where's the wedding tackle going to be after a few heaves on that after it takes a nap?
  3. Ausfahrt

Ausfahrt Luftkopf

Oddometer:
    Nice set up !:thumb
    Does the beam pattern allow you to leave them on all the time? Some of the aux lights that I have looked at are described as trail or off-road lights. I am looking for lights that can be mounted on the lower fork tubes and stay on all the time to increase my visibility to others without blinding them.

I would like to get something like I have on my GS without spending as much. :D

[​IMG]
  4. IDRIDR

IDRIDR Take me to the River

Oddometer:
    That's why they don't ride the slick stuff alone, and wait for you to come back and help pick it up.
    [​IMG]
  5. Murphy Slaw

Murphy Slaw Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is that Jan Michael Vincent?

:D
  6. MingRidesBikes

MingRidesBikes Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info! Will go adjust the shift lever now and give it a go from there. Super warm in Idaho today, I think a Thanksgiving ride will be deemed nessacery after some turkey. :clap
  7. Tsotsie

Tsotsie Semi-reformed Tsotsi Supporter

Oddometer:
    Actually, lifting a GS or any of the BMW boxer engined bikes is easier than a KLR. The Cof G is low, the head does not allow the bike to lay flat and it does not have all the gas up high. Just back up to the bike and walk it up using your legs.
  8. Mambo Danny

Mambo Danny I cannot abide.

Oddometer:
    Does anyone know anything about the headlight on this KLR?

http://miami.craigslist.org/brw/mcy/2708311925.html

I'm contemplating going to look at it, but to be honest I'm big into riding at night (other people are sleeping, and the roads are more open, to try to get anywhere in this long state), and it kinda looks to be more for show than go in as far as light output at night.
  9. MotoBoss

MotoBoss Go Ahead

Oddometer:
    Isn't that Darth Vador's "smile" helmet? :lol3
  10. willys

willys Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had a bike in here with that sort of cheaper fairing, the lights were absolutely useless!!!! Maybe those are better, best way id to go and see......There are so many new lights out there if you are starting from scratch so to speak to choose from that getting a strong light should be an easy job to figure out....IMHO.
  11. Canuman

Oddometer:
    It looks like an Acerbis "LED Vision," and that model is non-DOT. I'm not at all sure how the cops are down your way about busting people for that. You'd also have to remove the fairing subframe to mount one, which could be a PITA if you want to return to stock or mount something really tasty, like a Britannia fairing (which are great day and night.) And dude, someone stole the fork boots. . . dig that classic motard styling on that fender. . .

If you want a Motard, get an Aprilia. If you want a DS, get a KLR. Seems to be quite a bit of cash for what it is.
  12. Canuman

Oddometer:
    Seriously, whenever I see a supposed "custom" like that, the first thought that goes through my head is that it was laid down on its nose somehow, and the spendy factory bits replaced with Ebay stuff. If the fairing and fairing subframe took a hit, there's also a strong chance that the speedo did also, so the low miles may not be accurate. Not to mention that the KLR sometimes doesn't like to be continually revved into the higher ranges, which is pretty much motard territory.

The fact that the tank has been repainted (rattle can?) and there's a replacement front wheel -- which is, I confess, perhaps the only authentic Motard detail, would make me a little suspicious of the "never dropped" claim. The guy's a dealer. I'm always more comfortable buying from a fellow ADVer.

There are some very nice KLR motard pics posted around here, but I wouldn't rank this among them.
  13. CA Stu

CA Stu Peace and Love

Oddometer:
    The rest of your post is bang on, but why do you think that "the KLR doesn't like to be revved into the higher ranges"?
  14. Canuman

Oddometer:
    I said "continually revved," I think, Stu. You simply cannot defeat the demon piston speed, and the cylinder and piston of the KLR aren't exactly cutting edge.
  15. CA Stu

CA Stu Peace and Love

Oddometer:
    My KLR is on its 3rd piston :D
  16. Canuman

Oddometer:
    I 'spect I'm vindicated. You on a big-bore kit yet?
  17. Mambo Danny

Mambo Danny I cannot abide.

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys.

I don't want to be impolite, so let's just say most people in any sort of profession down here are way behind others doing the same in other parts of the country... The police probably more often charge people incorrectly for various perceived infractions than catching vehicle details pertaining to what is legal and what isn't.

It would thus be fine in most of south Florida in as far as the law goes... now as for night riding - yeah, I'll skip it. I know it sounds easy to say "just go look at it," but traveling just ten miles away down here is nightmare-ish if it isn't directly on the norht-south highway. Ain't worth it.
  18. schaffer40

schaffer40 I look lived in.....

Oddometer:
    @ausfahrt
    Those lights are so cheap there is not really much of a beam pattern to speak of. I do leave them on all the time and have not had any angry drivers flashing lights at me. I do not run the high-beam HID during the day, mostly at night when I need a bit more light, it is really bright. The aux lights are also not very efficient and suck up a lot of power. I am looking to upgrade them to a more efficient LED that won't break the bank.
  19. Canuman

Oddometer:
    Dave,

I suspect you could get a real, unscrewed '04 for about the same price as that freakish monster, particularly if you post in "bikes" here on ADV.

The stock headlight in a KLR isn't all that bad, and can be made wonderful with the addition of an HID kit -- available down your way from www.hidcountry.com for under sixty bucks.

I learned long ago to look at ultra-low-miles bikes with as much suspicion as high-miles bikes. What exactly happened so someone did a mere 600 miles a year on the thing? I have six bikes, yet my season's mileage on the KLR will top five grand this season. I wouldn't hesitate to take it anywhere. Machinery loves to be used and maintained correctly. Left to itself, it rusts.
  20. Canuman

Oddometer:
    What is your bank? If you're a BMW driver (as am I) it may be a little bigger than some people's. BMW = "Bring My Wallet;" however, my K75 is not for sale, nor will it be in the foreseeable future.

I think I'll pull the trigger on some of the Trailtech lights before spring. I've not seen them personally, but I've seen other gear from Trailtech, and it seems to be built to a high standard. It would please me to be able to vary the intensity of my lights. The Denalis are great for daylight visibility, and also good on long, lonely roads after dark. However, punting around in traffic, they are too bright. If I'm looking for a marker that establishes a safety triangle, I think the lowest Trailtech setting would be fine. I've had my share of pissed-off high-beams with the Denalis. Love them at night through moose country, however.