LED's on a R80 G/S help

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by LBourque, Oct 20, 2012.

1. LBourque

LBourque G/S nut

Oddometer:
    Added some nice LED's to my G/S and am having the "blown bulb" quick flashing and was wondering how to add a load to the circuit to replicate a filament type bulb. The installation went well but would like to fix the flashing issue. Anyone done it before or maybe direct me to a link.
  2. Airhead Wrangler

Airhead Wrangler Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Either add resistors parallel to the indicators to simulate the load of a bulb or (better) get one of the electronic replacement flashers that doesn't depend on load.

[​IMG]
  3. LBourque

LBourque G/S nut

Oddometer:
    Got the flasher today and after installation nothing happens,. Might try load resistors. But I was surprised the flasher did nothing.
  4. Airhead Wrangler

Airhead Wrangler Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I saw your PM. I should have clarified that the photo I put down here was not one I've tried before. Your local autoparts store should have one that's equivalent, as far as contact layout, to your stock BMW flasher, but instead with a solid state flasher in it.
  5. Solo Lobo

Solo Lobo airhead or nothing Supporter

Oddometer:
    When I installed mine (electronic relay on a G/S that I think is the same as pictured above) I had to move one or two of the wires in the BMW terminal block.... check how the relay is labled and verify against the BMW wiring diagram.

6. ignatz72

ignatz72 call me iggy

Oddometer:
  7. LBourque

LBourque G/S nut

Oddometer:
    Good morning!
    Saw your post about the flasher and it looks like it is a 9 pin flasher. My R80 G/S has a simple 3 pin. Tried switching the neg and pos terminals and then get all four indicators flashing at once. I installed some small LED's on all four indicator lights so the replacement led bulbs for the stock lights wasn't my first choice.. They all seem to be wired correctly but flashing is a concern. I got a flasher from superbright leds and installed in place of the original. But nothing lights up. So I also ordered the load resistors and might have to go that route but wanted a less bulky way. Still messin around with it but like the look of the new indicator lights. Thanks for helping out!
  8. LBourque

LBourque G/S nut

Oddometer:
    I switched the pos and neg wires and I get four way flasher. Install the superbright leds flasher and nothing lights up. If I can't find a clean install my next step is to do the load resistor but they seem so clunky as you need one for each light which means four of em. I am going to try to search for a flasher relay at our local parts store and see what they come up with. Thanks for chiming in.
  9. ignatz72

ignatz72 call me iggy

Oddometer:
    LBourque, Kisan makes flashers for all sorts of bikes. I think you would need the SM-1.

I tried cheap-o "LED" or "heavy duty" flashers bought from the local auto parts store on another bike and they didn't do the trick. A fully electronic flasher like the Kisan costs more but it also works!

The thing about resistors is the heat they generate, mounting locations, and of course, you aren't easing the burden on the battery.
  10. LBourque

LBourque G/S nut

Oddometer:
    I agree about the resistors and it would have been a last ditch effort and not my favorite choice. Will look into more Kisan products. And thanks.
  11. ignatz72

ignatz72 call me iggy

Oddometer:
    NP, and Andy at Kisan's technical support phone line is very helpful and friendly, if you have specific questions.
  12. scottpoley

scottpoley Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I bought one on eBay from China for $1.60, including shipping (still haven't figured out how they manage that). Send me a PM and I'll send it to you, if you like. I bought it for a non-led application then didn't end up using it.
  13. kbasa

kbasa big big energy

Oddometer:
    Moved to airheads...