old man's dual sport?

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by bob highsmith, Nov 13, 2012.

1. bob highsmith

bob highsmith Adventurer

Oddometer:
    been riding since I was 13-14 years old...Nortons, yamahas, hondas, bmw's and harleys all in my history...
    62 now...and beginning to feel it...
    own 2 harleys that I enjoy; a very muscular 113 cubic inch custom putting maybe 120 torque on ground...
    and a comfy old road king that has carried me to Canada and back 2 times from my south central USA home.
    BUT...sure am looking at the triumph 800 abs tiger as my do everything motorcyle for my old age...not to say it is a
    "geezer glide"..but that it is kind of a universal...an everyman's kind of machine.
    Any other old guys out there on these things to report in? any longer term owners with 50k plus on 'em now
    who have comments on whether they are long time keepers or not?
    thanks...
  2. victor441

victor441 Long timer

Oddometer:
    people would need to know your height and inseam to make a good recomendation, many of the dual sport and ADV bikes are a handful if your legs are not long...
  3. Dubl-A

Dubl-A SuckerDucker

Oddometer:
    The Tiger will make you feel young again although I'm not sure if that's a good thing to bones and joints in the dirt :lol3
  4. bob highsmith

bob highsmith Adventurer

Oddometer:
    that's why I feel my age!...my last really good crash was in Texas...near vernon..banged up my ankle...
    before that I went rubber up near hungry horse, montana and boy that did hurt...I rode a scooter with a bent frame home and my ribs made very breath count...think I kind of separated the cartilage of the ribs from ny breat bone...cause it just almost made a crybaby of me...
    (ok, it probably DID make a crybaby of me)...
  5. bob highsmith

bob highsmith Adventurer

Oddometer:
    my inseam is a mere 30 inches...alas my waist is a good deal more these days...
    when I got my first motorcyle I believe my waiwt was 26 and my inseam 30...;
    inseam is same, waist is an embarassment.
  6. skysailor

skysailor Rat Rider

Oddometer:
    Bob, I'm 62 with a 30" inseam as well. I have a DR650 as my DS bike. It's all I need. Some complain about the lack of range......works for me though
    However, I do admit a wee bit of lust for a F700GS. The 800 is just too tall for me.
    Lyle
  7. Dubl-A

Dubl-A SuckerDucker

Oddometer:
    Glad to hear you're ok after that!

But yea the tiger might need to be lowered with your inseam. I have a 32" and can place both feet on ground.
  8. High Country Herb

High Country Herb Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer:
    I'm right there with you: waste > inseam.

I too, like the Tiger. Are the standard Tigers lower than the XC800 version? I have a 32" inseam, and find the XC800 a bit tall with just toes on the ground. I suspect you would only get one foot on the ground, which is fine for those comfortable with that.

If you want something shorter, you might consider the Scrambler:

[​IMG]
  9. baloneyskin daddy

baloneyskin daddy bikaholic Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    We need a real adventure stepthrough scooter. When I have all my gear on and the Tiger is loaded I have a hell of a time getting on and off. Throw in some bad weather and a deteriorating hip and things get dicey.
  10. puttman

puttman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Bob,

It sounds like maybe you don't need a true dual sport. I'm a few years behind you but recommend checking out a Kawasaki Versys. It is an 'all-rounder' that has decent suspension a nice motor and standard ergonomics. With better tires it is capable on forest service roads and very good on pavement. You can find used low mileage for around 5k. With a aftermarket windshield it can double as a (solo) touring bike. Maintenance consist of gas, oil and rubber.

Tom
  11. IndyTiger800

IndyTiger800 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    1950 must have been a good year.:clap
    I'm 62 and have 32 inseam. I have a 800 ABS and love it. I put 1750 miles on her on a trip to NC in a week. Had a couple 500 mile days. It was easer than the 1200 miles I put on my Daytona 675 on last years trip.
  12. Clockwatcher

Clockwatcher Been here awhile

Oddometer:

He ain't buyin' a pair of pants..............Find what you like and go ridin'.
    I am 63 and ride an old Honda Transalp..........I like it.....:wink:
  13. strider.deano

strider.deano Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bob,
    I don't have your years in the saddle, but do suffer from a long "rounding" torso and a 30" inseam. The 800XC with the standard seat, no panniers and the preload set for about 250# had my heals just a bit off the ground. So I mounted the Triumph lower seat and this put me flat footed in my riding boots. Coming off a ST1300, the XC is like a shot of adrenalin every time I put the kickstand up. The Tiger 800XC has been much quicker than any cruiser I've ridden or ridden with :D. Take the 800XC or standard 800 out for a ride. So easy to ride, light and nimble.....you won't be disappointed! :wink:

Deano
  14. bob highsmith

bob highsmith Adventurer

Oddometer:
    thanks for all the good advice. I will be heading to the triumph shop to test a tiger 800 ABS standard...
    anybody had one of these tigers long enough to give a long-term report on satisfaction..they all look good
    when new, but after 30k or so, does it still seem like a good buy? Reason I ask, is I tend to keep machinery...
    actually, I even give it a name sooner or later...like my mechanical pet or something I guess.
  15. bob highsmith

bob highsmith Adventurer

Oddometer:
    ok, probably not a good name for it..but maybe could use a line on this forum for the people who qualify for the Sr. citizen discount...remember the Triumph Bonneville TT special when it was the neatest motorcycle on the planet...and are still out there.
    I actually do remember that TT...a local Triumph shop had turned Honda too..had a shiney new TT on a dias in middle of the store...
    and I wanted it so bad...but alas...I had to make do with my 305 honda scrambler. oh well, to this day I have
    fond memories of that old scrambler. my first donuts and figure 8's..my first hill climbing...my first enduro-type racing...my first real road trip...all on that old honda...sigh.
    maybe that's what has this old man looking for a tiger 800? hahahaha...too old to stop now I guess!
  16. TABR

TABR Lost Again

Oddometer:
    The regular tiger 800 will have a lower seat height than the XC with a little bit better road manners (my opinion) and you can order a beak for it if you like that look. I chose the XC I have 30" inseam weigh 160 lbs and have no problems one footing at stops otherwise I'm on the balls of my feet when stopped and I'm AARP eligible. Enjoy the test rides. :evil
  17. Happy Snapper

Happy Snapper GOMOB.

Oddometer:
    Hey Bob.. I am turning 60 so I bought myself a Super Tenere. I have short legs and I find it easier to move around at low speed than my KLR.

It hides its weight well when it is mobile... can be a handful backing it into the little shed though.
  18. icebox

icebox Long timer

Oddometer:
    well I just happen to be 62, 5'8" and about 160 lbs. The biggest problem with most dual sports for me anymore is wind managment, what has a good and real windscreen, ain't to tall with to high a CG, and a reasonably compliant suspension for my back. Don't like big jars so much anymore. The GFs F700 twin does a real nice job without being to tall or too heavy. The Cee Bailey Euro touring windscreen keeps the worst of the wind off without any real buffetting. No Trump dealers close by so no experience there, the new Tenere is pretty nice but heavier than I like, so I just keep riding my 1200GS till something better comes along. Tried a Wee Strom and the wind beat me to death. The F700 would really tempt me if I needed a new bike. Perhaps the new DL1000 when it finally shows up, but just a concept bike so far. Much depends on how much pavement and wind you want to deal with, the Tiger and F800 are both a bit taller than I like at my height, if they were lighter they would be fine, my DRZ is taller, but almost a hundred pounds lighter, so no problem. But woudn't want to do a 100 miles of pavement on it either. Always wanted a RK, maybe next summer.
  19. Gregster

Gregster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  20. Murphy Slaw

Murphy Slaw Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ah, the old Honda 305. I remember mine well. Used to ride from Apache Jct to Tortilla Flat every Sunday morning with a pal that had a 250 Yamaha 2 stroke twin and get a few beers from a barmaid with a nose-ring.

Okay. Too much information.......

:rofl