Cirque de Copper Canyon 2012 w/Big Bikes

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Johnnydarock, Apr 18, 2012.

1. Johnnydarock

Johnnydarock Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you ever wanted to ride the dirt in the famed Copper Canyon...you better read this report and get there before its all paved.

The three of us, me (John), Dan and Monte met each other on ADVrider and started a dialogue several months ago about our common desire to ride the dirt of the Copper Canyon on big bikes. Normally you'd think having never met each other was a recipe for disaster but we pulled it off and had a great time. We left Phoenix on Saturday, April 7th, 2012, and returned a week later. Here's a look at our map:

[​IMG]
  2. Hosebag

Hosebag Difficult, but useful.

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  3. Johnnydarock

Johnnydarock Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sorry for a quick intro but I had to post and run. Like I said...we met on ADV. I live in Los Angeles. Dan lives near Austin TX and Monte lives in the mountains north of Phoenix. After going back and forth via email for about a month and talking on the phone we picked a date and everyone went and got their Temporary Vehicle Importation Permit from Banjercito on the internet. So now we're committed. One thing people kept asking me after telling them that I was riding to Mexico with two guys I've never met before..."are you crazy?"

Just a little bit about the bikes. I ride a 2010 BMW F800GS. Dan rides a 2011 BMW F800GS. And Monte rides a 2001 Triumph Tiger. Here's a picture of our rear ends.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Here's a Snapshot of our itinerary:<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    DAY 0: Friday April 6<SUP>th</SUP> Ride to Phoenix<o:p></o:p>
    DAY 1: Saturday April 7<SUP>th</SUP> Gomez Farias
    DAY 2: Sunday April 8<SUP>th</SUP> Batopilas (Easter)<o:p></o:p>
    DAY 3: Monday April 9<SUP>th</SUP> Urique via the new road<o:p></o:p>
    DAY 4: Tuesday April 10<SUP>th </SUP>El Fuerte<o:p></o:p>
    DAY 5: Wednesday April 11<SUP>th</SUP> Alamos<o:p></o:p>
    DAY 6: Thursday April 12<SUP>th</SUP> Magdalena<o:p></o:p>
    DAY 7: Friday April 13<SUP>th</SUP> Phoenix<o:p></o:p>
    DAY 8: Saturday April 14<SUP>th</SUP> Ride back to Los Angeles<o:p></o:p>
  4. freeflow

freeflow get in or go in

Oddometer:
    :thumb :lurk...maybe I don't want to see the changes there....a great area
  5. MoodyBlues

MoodyBlues Hey! Watch this...

Oddometer:
    Great timing starting our RR John. Just finished washing the dust, dirt, mud and bugs off the GS. Let the shenanigans begin! Had a blast. :clap:clap:clap
  6. MoodyBlues

Oddometer:
    Like John said, I started a thread back in Oct or so looking for someone to ride Mexico with. Initially I was looking at Baja, then John pitched his plan to ride Copper Canyon. Hard to say no to someone who has ridden Mexico many times before!
    But yes, my family and friends were in shock that I was leaving for "Mexico" and with "someone you don't even know?!?!" :rofl
    Luckily Phoenix was a good start point as I had some family there I hadn't seen in a few years, so I went out the Monday prior to visit them and get ready for the ride.
  7. MoodyBlues

Oddometer:
    First aid kit packed....

[​IMG]

Then stuffed the GS into the Taco...
    [​IMG]
  8. sparkymcgee

sparkymcgee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Did you reinforce that gate? I have a Taco and I've heard the gates will bend under load.
  9. MoodyBlues

Oddometer:
    So Friday morning came and I headed off to find Monte's RV pad. After 35 minutes of the typical Friday morning traffic I pulled into the RV park looking for the lot number he had gave me. As soon as I turn in I see some guy in a robe and slippers snapping pics of me with a loaded down Triumph in front of him... this must be Monte's place.
    [​IMG]

After talking and looking over each others rides we decided to do a shake down run on some dirt that Monte knew of. John wouldn't be in from LA till later that afternoon, so why not. Monte might be able to tell you that name of the pass we took, it was some great roads with a awesome green chili burrito and cold beer for lunch. Then back to the RV to see where this other guy named John was at.:D
  10. MoodyBlues

Oddometer:
    I had heard the same thing, so I did as some others had done and put a solid 2x4 across the gate under the rear tire. This is suppose to spread the load out over a wider area than just the foot print of the tire. It must work as I went round trip 1100+ miles with no problems. Have also seen some guys will run a c-channel front to back wide enough for the tires to sit in to take some of the load off.

11. Supergringo

Supergringo Hablar, bla bla bla.

Oddometer:
    Wish I could have joined you guys!
  12. SoosCreek

SoosCreek Angle of Repose...

Oddometer:
  13. MoodyBlues

Oddometer:
    Got to love Hotel Juanitas. Had to shed my panniers to get thru the gate thou.:D

14. SoosCreek

SoosCreek Angle of Repose...

Oddometer:
    Got that right about Juanita's. We were the only ones and she only charged 200 pesos per room. Basic room but hot water!

and you can sit and watch everyone come and go along the river.

Did the dinner and breakfast at Dino Mica (sp?). Was absolutely fabulous.
  15. MoodyBlues

Oddometer:
    Yes, same here. Was the first breakfast I had had that was cooked on a wood stove in many years. We have pics we will post up when we get there. I could have stayed in town for a few days sitting in the square and just doing nothing. Great place.
  16. MoodyBlues

Oddometer:
    John and Monte doing some route planning the night before we roll out of Phoenix...

[​IMG]
  17. Montek

Montek Eternal Noob

Oddometer:
    Yep, thats right, none of us would or could recognize the other if passing on a sidewalk! Stranger danger comes to mind when following a new aquaintence into a foreign land where there may be a bit of a language barrier. Just in visiting on the phone, reading previous rr's, and general smack talk via e-mails - i figured they can't be as big a poser as me!!! SO, off we go to barranca de cobre.

Cool thing was, we are all different, cept for the desire of adventure and riding! That, I believe, is why we clicked so well and had not even 1 disagreement the entire trip. Well maybe on which chica was the hottest.
  18. Montek

Montek Eternal Noob

Oddometer:
    As moody pointed out, a shakedown run was suggested. We ran a great route on the northwest end of Phoenix. It was the Castle Hot Springs Road out by Lake Pleasant. A mix of rocks, dirt and ballbearing type stuff that will give an indication of rider talent. Not much talent here, Moody's loaded with talent and felt pretty darn good about my new found riding partner after the late morning dirt to wickenburg for burrito's n beer. Then a quick run on asphalt back to the camper and more beer. Turns out moody n darock like beer as much as i do - another common interest to add to the "we all got along" meter.

So Moody and I are getting aquanted with our long lost clan relatives - that would be Clan Inebriated,
    [​IMG]
    this sticker was a free pass sticker to most every where.

when guess who shows up to the party.
    [​IMG]

ya, thats right jonnydarock, jonnyringleader, jonnydaguide, jonnydaspanishspeakingbailusoutofajamm - JOHN
  19. refokus

refokus Hmmmmmm Supporter

Oddometer:
    Keep it coming. I want to hear all the good stuff, and bad. :clap
  20. Montek

Montek Eternal Noob

Oddometer:
    brad, how u feeling, saw how you got out of a tube repair - that sucks. Heel fast.

Oh, and don't worry, you'll get all the bad and good.

Monte