My dual sport Ninja yep another one

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by 2fast4u, Apr 30, 2012.

1. 2fast4u

2fast4u What the hell!

Oddometer:
    I have this bike about 80% done so this build thread will not take to long to finish.
    The reason for this build is, i need a bike i can ride on the interstate, dirt, gravel roads, and light single track and not break the bank. Not much out there fits. A friend pointed out JD rocks thread and i loved it .So my build is based around his.
    I do have to point out that this will not be a long trip bike more of a weekend bike.
    Okay here we go. The first pic is the bike with the stock fork tubes half way out of the triple tree and a r1 rear shock to see about where the ride height will be.

[​IMG]
  2. 2fast4u

2fast4u What the hell!

Oddometer:
    The seat on this bike sucks,so it had to go.

[​IMG]
  3. 2fast4u

2fast4u What the hell!

Oddometer:
    I had a sportster seat and it is comfortable so ....

[​IMG]

Had to cut it down.

[​IMG]
  4. 2fast4u

2fast4u What the hell!

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Better!
  5. 2fast4u

2fast4u What the hell!

Oddometer:
    Time to make the sub frame.

[​IMG]
  6. 2fast4u

2fast4u What the hell!

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  7. 2fast4u

2fast4u What the hell!

Oddometer:
    Changed out the triple tree to a Versys and put DRZ400 forks in them with a shim in the lower tree. I will have two sets of wheels one with big blocks and one with street tires. Also changed the R1 shock for a Versys .

[​IMG]

Found a ruckus headlight and changed out the bulbs for brighter ones. Mounted the lights and speed O .

[​IMG]

Put some dirt bike bars and DRZ hand controls on it.

[​IMG]
  8. 2fast4u

2fast4u What the hell!

Oddometer:
    Changed out the Ninja peg mounts for Versys .Made the kickstand longer and the shifter shorter. Put dirt pegs off a KX450 on it.

[​IMG]

Had the seat wrapped up again and mounted DRZ fenders.

[​IMG]
  9. 2fast4u

2fast4u What the hell!

Oddometer:
    So now i will need a crash bar.

[​IMG]

I had a old Harley crash bar so i cut it up. I put some off road lights on the bar and made it where it will come off. It works great for lifting the front wheel off the ground with a jack.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    alpina likes this.
  10. mpowers

mpowers Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice! Liking the rear fender and seat cut....but not feeling the HD crash bars though.
  11. High Country Herb

High Country Herb Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer:
    That just makes me smile. The seat and headlights really make the look.

As a pair of fresh eyes on your bike, I have two small suggestions. Please don't take them as negative comments, just ideas:
    1. The crash bar looks wider than it needs to be, and may catch on tree branches and stuff in the forest.
    2. It would look really cool if you could add some strips to cover the gap between frame and fuel tank. Maybe they could be made from textured material for your knees to grip?
  12. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    lookin' good...but man, those bars gotta go, and it has nothing to do with aesthetics, but all about protection...assuming you're going to use the bike for what it's designed to do.

here's the aftermath of one of my flops, note the missing paint near the tip of the shifter. might be conjecture, but with your bars that rock may very well have taken out the generator cover.

[​IMG]

also, the bike needs to be able to slide forward on the bars, not grab the surface, no matter what it is. if the bike can't slide, you could see damage that might not happen otherwise. cool that you fabbed your own bars, any changes would be an easy fix.

might want to think about some pannier rack mounting points before the subframe gets painted.

who turned the 49mm DRZ fork to 52mm bottom clamp adapters and what was the cost? did you get a photo before you installed them?
  13. 2fast4u

2fast4u What the hell!

Oddometer:
    Thanks for your ideas but for the most part i'm going to beat the hell out this bike. The crash bar is a little wide but just a little. It is just a little wider then the foot pegs. It will have a purpose or two. One is to protect the motor, shifter, brake lever. Two is a place to mount a front motor guard and skid plate. And most important a place to put my feet when on the Hwy.haha Nothing is in stone just steel. . I will ride it this summer and change what needs to be changed this winter when i tear it all the way down to paint it.

Here is what it looks like from the back.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  14. 2fast4u

2fast4u What the hell!

Oddometer:
    Thanks JD for your ideas but for the most part it will not get out of Tennessee. I'm lucky if i can get away for a weekend. No need for pannier just a weekend bike. Will see on the crash bar if i don't like it i will change it . No big deal.
    My buddy owns a machine shop and it was $40 but he is a good friend.
  15. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    i'd add the mounting points anyway. you can fab yourself a nice tail rack, carry a tail bag for your day rides. tools, spares, water bottles, lunch.
  16. 2fast4u

2fast4u What the hell!

Oddometer:
    I hear what your saying. I may fab up a removable set up. My plan is to be able to ride to the smoky mtn. (250 miles) on the interstate get a room drop what little i have off except for tools and ride. I like as little on the bike as possible. The guys i ride with ride at race pace on 450s. I know this bike will not be able to keep up but don't them waiting to long.
  17. tn-steve

tn-steve Addicted

Oddometer:
    :clap:freaky:clap:freaky:clap:freaky:clap:freaky

I just went and looked at the bike, sat on it, and generally drooled all over it. Can't wait to ride it :lol3
  18. 2fast4u

2fast4u What the hell!

Oddometer:
    Ok here is another reason for the crash bar. I have a set of street tires and wheels and will be swapping them back and forth. I also plan to make a center stand that will mount under the crash bar it will pick the front wheel off the ground and also have a skid plate.

[​IMG]
  19. marine_mike

marine_mike Banned

Oddometer:
    Is there anyway to reroute that exhaust so it's not so vulnerable on the bottom like that?
  20. 2fast4u

2fast4u What the hell!

Oddometer:
    I'm going to put a skid plate under it and a rock guard in the front. Also a radiator guard. I have looked at rerouting the exhaust but it would be tricky just not much room.