"Previous version of Mapsource not detected" grrrr!

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by Propfrwrd, Jul 20, 2009.

1. Propfrwrd

Propfrwrd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Gents (I assume)-

First off, yes, I've searched.

My dilemma-

I'm in a bit of Catch 22 here- I can't the only Mapsource I've been able to download from Garmin (I have a Nuvi550 with a Wesatern Canadian Topo Data Card) is the update, which won't allow me to do anything as it does not detect a previous version of Mapsource (didn't receive a disk with my Nuvi).

So far I've tried both methods described here, with no success.

Any ideas?

I'm a relative noob when it comes to loading tracks, although I am reasonably technically saavy.
  2. Powershouse

Powershouse Flower Sniffer

Oddometer:
    Prop -

I had a similar experience that was only resolved by getting a Garmin Support rep on the line. I can understand their need to lock the software, but there should be a better way to implement new editions.

Kevin
  3. Propfrwrd

Propfrwrd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks , Kevin.... been on hold for 20mins already.
  4. pckopp

pckopp Aged Adventurer

Oddometer:
    (didn't receive a disk with my Nuvi) is the issue. You don't have a previous version installed, since you didn't recieve a disk with your Nuvi. Nuvi's don't come with disks, since most Nuvi's can't accept a route from your PC anyway.

Two solutions.

1. Ask Garmin for a disk with the version of City Nav in your Nuvi.

2. Find an old copy of Roads & Rec or Topo or any old Garmin map package. Ebay or your favorite torrent site will have one. Install that and you'll have a version of MapSource loaded and your Canadian maps will now load.

Depending on your particular Nuvi model, you still won't be able to transfer a route from your PC to your Nuvi. Waypoints will transfer, I suppose. Not sure about tracks, or if you could even use them.

Good luck.
  5. FriedDuck

FriedDuck Why die all tensed up?

Oddometer:
    Don't know if it'll help you but Microsoft publishes two tools that will tell you every file or registry entry a program is using. In theory you could figure out what it's looking for and dupe it (if it's not sophisticated.)

They're easy to use and don't require installation so no harm if they don't work out for you. Run them and right-click on any entry in the log to filter the output to the program that created it. Easy-as-pie.

Links to Microsoft's download pages:
    Regmon
    Filemon

Everything written by that team (the old sysinternals group) is indispensable to figuring out windoze problems....
  6. ROMAD

ROMAD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  7. 9Dave

9Dave Bazinga!

Oddometer:
  8. kazakdan

kazakdan n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi
    I know this is an old thread... but I a, desperately trying to sort a similar problem. I need to change the map region from UK to Central Europe. I have life updates on the whole of Europe.
    Garmin Express is useless. Mapupdater is the only way to do it because it has a choice menu for which region. BUT before this screen appears the software wants to do an update. Then I get the message that no previous version is installed. It clearly is installed. Then the software closes out and that is it. I cannot skip the update and cannot get to the region choice menu.

What can I do to change the installed region if I cannot use Maps updater and cannot persuade the system that I do have CN2013.40, as per the info screen on the GPS unit?
  9. kazakdan

kazakdan n00b

Oddometer:
    BTW I have Zumo 660
    FIrmware 4.90
    GPS 2.90
    CN Europe NT 2013.41 3D
    CN Europe NT 2010.10
    CN Europe NT 2013.41 UK and Ireland