New Southern Oregon rider. Anyone here?

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by cjm1219, Mar 6, 2014.

1. cjm1219

cjm1219 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Checking in. Just moved to Medford from Central Texas, also spent some years in Tucson and Phoenix. Originally from Boise Idaho. It feels good to be back in the north.

Looking forward to getting out and exploring the area. I am a bit overwhelmed at the possibilities.

Is there an area where people post rides to get groups together? I haven't stumbled upon one yet.

Anyhoo...look forward to running into fellow adventure rides out there.
    NickSoOr likes this.
  2. tblume

tblume Always Be Gambling

Oddometer:
    Paging mr. Wibby...
  3. peterman

peterman cop magnet Supporter

Oddometer:
    John's Peak,,outside of Jacksonville,,ride up there and talk to anybody there about how to join,,I don't even live there, and I still send 'em money for their efforts. \
    Wibby,,paging Wibby!,,
    never mind,:rofl,he drinks too much and rides too fast,,you don't wanna hang with his kind!:deal

Unless,,,,,:1drink
  4. cjm1219

cjm1219 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I drove up to the johns peak area the other day when I was in jacksonville for something else. Looks great! Now just got to wait for the rain to stop for a bit to go explore on the moto. Don't feel like tearing it up in the mud just yet.
  5. peterman

peterman cop magnet Supporter

Oddometer:
    Dude!..if you live that close,,you went up there and saw it??,,:eek1 you are missing the concept!:deal
    John's Peak is year round,,you just need some better tires,,or a small bike with big knobs,,for the mud and (rarely) snow!,,Go for it!
    Wibby!,,say something!:clap
  6. acesandeights

acesandeights Noob

Oddometer:
    I live in Eagle Point and my riding buddy lives in Central Point. Next time we're going out for a beer or going for a ride I'll send you a PM. We both ride DR650s. His is mostly stock, mine is mostly not. Johns Peak is a nice area, but there are plenty of others. When the weather starts cooperating, you're going to find plenty of places to ride. There is from mild to wild around here.
  7. doggitter

doggitter Long timer

Oddometer:
    I find a lot of the places I go to by going and seeing something along the way.
  8. bbenn75820

bbenn75820 Long timer

Oddometer:
  9. wibby

wibby BrotherFromAnotherMother

Oddometer:
    You can ride John's Peak the day after a heavy rain and it is fine. It's so damn rocky up there

If you like riding trails there's a local group on facebook called "Anything Dirtbike"
    They ride pretty much every weekend
  10. wibby

Oddometer:
    I haven't ridden either bike in months :cry
  11. cjm1219

cjm1219 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Yeah, please do!

Would like to see more of the area. The limited exploring I have done I have found a few gates and private property signs on roads that appear to be go through on the map. Felt like I was back in Texas.

I probably just need better maps than google.

And I do appreciated a good beer. another perk for the region.

My 640 is stock, been pretty happy with it over the last few years.
  12. cjm1219

cjm1219 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good to know it has decent drainage. I should be able to sneak out for a few hours this afternoon.

Thanks for the tip on the facebook group. will check it out.
  13. Hercanstein

Hercanstein Torquey Turtle

Oddometer:
    I live in Grants Pass. Will be going up Fosters creek road outside of Rogue River tomorrow. I will be on my TW200 and the wife will bring her Brute Force 300 quad in the back of the truck to the beginning of the Gravel. Gorgeous view of the area from the top and lots of trails. Give us a Holler if ya wanna join us(971) 241-3221. Will be bringin some brats and salad, mebbie a couple of brewskies.
  14. cjm1219

cjm1219 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the invite. I am tied up tomorrow so can't join you. You guys have fun. They weather has been great the last few days.
  15. cjm1219

cjm1219 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Did make it up to Johns peak area for a couple hours yesterday. Stuck to the main roads mostly but explored around a bit to get an idea of the area. Seems like lots of trails to explore up there. Looking forward to getting out again.
  16. MaximumLean

MaximumLean DR-Z Braaap

Oddometer:
    New member, past lurker. Already a member of a few local Facebook groups pertaining to our off road riding =) I am over in the Eagle Point / Shady Cove area. Very open to riding with anybody on our local hills etc providing I don't have to slab it to get to our destinations hehe; at least until I pick up some new rubber.
  17. Michelangelo

Michelangelo 2 wheel rider...anytime..

Oddometer:
    Anyone else here ride dirt only bike around? I am coming up next week from Utah for Spring Break to Grants Pass and might bring my KTM 450XCF (not plated), if I can find some who are up to ride with me. Or....if someone has an extra dualsport I can ride while I'm there. I'm an advanced offroad rider/racer that doesn't trash his machines.

Yes I've been known to use my old XRR for single track!

[​IMG]

But most days I use my all around weapon: 2009 450XCF outfitted for high speed and single track.
    [​IMG]
  18. TaGaDvAnCe

TaGaDvAnCe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Wait, there are other riders in Southern Oregon? We must not be a very vocal bunch. +1 for Grants Pass here. I've got a KLR650 and a YZ45F. My weekends are free if anyone is planning anything. I've been meaning to check out John's Peak but I'm afraid to go too far out alone. =\
  19. wibby

Oddometer:
    Check out "Dirt bike rides" on Facebook :deal
  20. Michelangelo

Michelangelo 2 wheel rider...anytime..

Oddometer:
    Love to ride with you but I didn't get here to GP until yesterday and I am probaby heading back towards Utah on Sat.