Photos from Michaux SF Pennsylvania

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by JaxObsessed, Oct 29, 2010.

1. LoneStrom

LoneStrom Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Had a great time, looking forward to more! Thanks again for showing us around SoPaRider.

This was our afternoon:

<IFRAME SRC="http://www.dualsportmaps.com/embedMap.html?id=104347" TITLE="Michaux_development" width="800" height="600"></IFRAME>
  2. Denny Mann

Denny Mann Long timer

Oddometer:
    An Opportunity To Learn
    An Opportunity To Get Involved
    An Opportunity To Be A Part of Motorized History in Pennsylvania
    Motorized Recreation in Pennsylvania - Partnerships for Progress <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    As you know, PAOHV has been successful in bringing to Lewisburg one of the acclaimed National Off-Highway Vehicle Conservation Council (NOHVCC) full workshop and conference. The dates for the conference are June 7 to 9, and it is being presented by PAOHV, DCNR, and NOHVCC.
    The Workshop will be led by NOHVCC Senior Project Coordinator Jack Terrell and renowned national trails consultant Tom Crimmins. These guys are the best, and this is your opportunity to take advantage of the tools that will make you a stronger presence in the world of motorized recreation.
    This is just a sampling of the Conference Objectives:
    • Improve the development, planning, design, construction, maintenance and management of sustainable OHV trail areas, facilities and systems in order to:
      • Comply with local, county, state and federal requirements
      • Minimize impacts and improve conservation of natural and cultural resources
      • Reduce conflicts between recreational, community and environmental stakeholders
      • Better meet the needs and desires of OHV and other recreation stakeholders
      • Improve risk management and reduce liability concerns
    • Expand partnership development between local, county, state and federal governments, land managers, adjoining private property owners, OHV and other recreational stakeholders, and education entities
    • Increase tourism and promote local and regional economic development
    • Volunteer development
    This is the first time a full NOHVCC Workshop has been conducted in Pennsylvania. Don?t miss it.
    http://www.nohvcc.org/Education/Workshops/PaOHVwks2012.aspx.
    I look forward to seeing you there, and thanks for your support of PAOHV?s mission and motorized recreation in the Keystone State.
    Sincerely yours,
    Dick Lepley,
    PAOHV Executive Director
    <o:p> </o:p>
  3. SoPaRider

SoPaRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great meeting and riding with you on Monday LoneStrom or should it be LoneBeemer? and thanks for the file info.

Denny thanks for keeping everyone informed!

I plan to be working here at the "Motorcyclist Manor" today, Friday and Sunday (stop by if your in the neighborhood and we'll show around and offer you a cold beverage), so I'll be riding in Michaux on Saturday, contact me if your interesting in tagging along.

Jeff (SoPaRider)
  4. TowPro

TowPro Single Track Geezer

Oddometer:
    If anybody wants a personal guide to see the best of Michaux, you got to get in touch with SoPaRider. Jeff knows those roads so well he even knows where the pot holes are :D, Plus he is a great guy.

Thanks for the ride today Jeff. Some of those roads had a little slime coat layer (after 2 or 3" of rain last night) and it kept me on my toes on the F800 with Shinko 705 tires . Hope I didnt slow you down too much. :deal

Pictures?

This is looking north. My RV is up on that mountain in the background of the picture.

[​IMG]

Here is the only Pictures of Jeff. By the time I got the camera out of my pocket he had a good head start :D
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Jeff has a ton of information all on paper. Many different routes though the area complete with listings for every service/food you could think of.
    Jeff, I am looking forward to the next ride :deal. See you later this summer.

We plan on adding Jeff's information to the Trans PA Trail file. riders could spend a week in Michaux alone with Jeff's routes :lol3
  5. vwlandon

vwlandon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    i passed a group of people on rattlesnake run saturday morning. i was just taking the long way to walmart:D im sure you guys were just getting your day started. i was on the blue klr.
  6. TowPro

Oddometer:
    Jeff and I went up that road 2x I think. the only people we saw all day was two older guys in a pretty new Volvo running the stone roads. They want down one road that Jeff said I didn't even want to take my F800 down :huh. A couple minutes they came back out and asked Jeff for directions :deal

We did see tracks from a single bike on a couple of the roads.
    The next time I go to Michaux I think will bring my dual sport bike, I think it would be fun to run the stone roads on my TE250. It's geared for running highway speeds, I think it might be fun.
  7. SoPaRider

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the kind words TowPro, it was great to finally be able to put a face with a name and a bike:lol3, you and your KTM riding buddy will have a place to park your rig whenever you need it, so dust off the TE and the next time we'll hit the rock gardens (Biesecker Gap Road) where the two fellas in the Volvo were about to make the mistake of a life time:eek1 if they tired taking that thing thru there, good for them they thought better of it and made a u-turn!

Oh and I really do need to find another dual sport bike as I've really been racking up the miles on my nearly vintage 16 year old DR, I usually average 2,500 miles a year riding it mostly in Michaux, but if I keep up the pace I'm on now, I'll end up riding over 8,000 miles this year! So if anyone comes across a sweet deal on a late model DR650SE or XL650L east of the Mississippi River, with lows miles and lots and lots of farkles, please let me know.

"The Rides Never Long Enough!"

Jeff (SoPaRider)
  8. turbojerk

turbojerk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is this pic from a "vista" on the DNR map?

[​IMG]
  9. JaxObsessed

JaxObsessed Aggressively pedantic about objective truth=Woke.

Oddometer:
    Here's a wild ass guess....
    Spruce Run at the Northern end of Ridge :dunno
  10. Skyclad

Skyclad Original Bastard Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ah, Biesecker Gap ain't that bad. I went down that road with the Ulysses, then turned around and went right back up.

Then again, there has been more than one person tell me that I ain't quite right.:lol3
  11. SoPaRider

Oddometer:
    TowPro's picture was taken looking west at what locals and I call Vista View, the state maps call it Valley Vista View, it's on Oak Road which is in the southwestern corner Michaux S.F., Oak Road runs between PA Route 233 at the Mont Alto Campus of Penn State and Mont Alto State Park and Wirt Road. Jeff (SoPaRider)
  12. TowPro

Oddometer:
    It was the first time all spring that the views were not obscured by haze. Wonder of the 2"+ rainfall the evening before had anything to do with it :)
  13. turbojerk

Oddometer:
    That's what I thought....

I had plans to ride to the same place this past Sunday after all the lawn work was finished... To bad the storms rolled in on me just as soon as I was finished....

Oh well, next weekend mabe...?
  14. SoPaRider

Oddometer:
    Front please! SoPa:rofl
  15. TowPro

Oddometer:
    Funny you bring this back up. I just got back in town :)

I have to work Thursday and Friday.
    Sometime tomorrow I have to put new rear pads on the BMW and I will be set.
    I am thinking of maybe exploring what James Buchanan has to offer.
    Later tonight I will check the maps and see if there is much there. Looking at the view above, James Buchanan would be in the center of the mountain in the distance.
  16. turbojerk

Oddometer:
    Anyone hitting the trails today?
  17. Paebr332

Paebr332 Good news everyone!

Oddometer:
    I rode about a hundred miles in and around Michaux today. DCNR must have a big gravel budget this year. Big stretches of road have a fresh layer of pretty deep gravel. Made things interesting at times.
  18. TowPro

Oddometer:
    I notice the same thing in both Buchanan and Tuscarora as well
  19. vwlandon

vwlandon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Boy do i hate that thick gravel... especially on the downhills

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2
  20. KL_ARRR

KL_ARRR Adventure Piggy

Oddometer:
    I got my first taste of Michaux this weekend and had a great time :clap

[​IMG]

We also took the ferry to Millersburg, which was really entertaining...

[​IMG]

I am very interested to come back and do more than just ridge road. What is the deal with camping here? The site locations don't seem to be on their general use map.

Thanks!