Hack Tire conversion

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by ricmachado, Dec 1, 2012.

1. ricmachado

ricmachado Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    hello,

I have a velorex (mid 80's) attached to a sportster.

I need a new tire for the sidecar as well as a new shock.

How hard and expensive it would be to convert the tire/suspension to a trailer tire and what would be a good suspension for this car?

What size tire can be used 12in, 13, 14, 15???

on road only, 60% solo, 40% with a passanger

any ideas and suggestinos are welcome.

I'm poor and cheap (used to ride a KLR :evil)
  2. MotoJ

MotoJ Mobtown Hacker

Oddometer:
    I've been contemplating a hack build with a trailer torsion bar suspension but everyone I've talked to who has done that says they are too stiff, and the car will just bounce, which is bad. If you're on a budget, you might be better off just getting an inexpensive high nylon ply tire (like a Duro) and sourcing a used dirt bike shock (or whatever fits) off EBay. If the rig is set up right the sidecar tire shouldn't wear out for a long time. If you can use tapered bearings in the wheel hub that will help you too.
  3. ricmachado

ricmachado Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the repply, I also looked into those suspensions, but I think that another inmate tried and didn't work well. I took my wheel off to store the hack when I changed bikes and found that the shock was done, literally falling into pieces. I found a used one like yuou said and mounted, the problem I have is that 1 it is a little too short and I cannot mount the fender,and 2, now that I ride without a fender, I see the wheel bouncing a lot, maybe it is the way it should be, but I think that the shock could be a little more on the stiff side. the bike does not feel the bouncing and if I lean little against the sidecar side to add pressure, the bouncing stops and the bike still rides well. I think that I need maybe more weight on the hack or better shocks

I have a sportster shock, but the velorex mount is a little too narrow, I tried to grind the shock but still does not work.

I'm looking to get a better shock than the one I have right now and a better wheel setup, or I may just change the tire on the one I have. I was looking also to use a heavier wheel as balast, instead of carring my tool box on the trunk.
  4. cleatusj

cleatusj Dirt floor engineer

Oddometer:
    I carry a full size van battery plus tool bag in the hack.
  5. MotoJ

MotoJ Mobtown Hacker

Oddometer:
    A water cooler jug of water makes good ballast. When you have a passenger just pour out the water.

A heavier duty wheel and extra weight might be more than your Velorex can do, without changing the skinny spindle and beefing up the suspension. You say you can see the wheel bouncing but can't feel it. have you preloaded the shock? Important things are straight tracking, no head shake, etc.

I'd say just live with it for awhile longer and experiment with ballast and tire pressure. Velorexes on Sporties are a common match-up.

It's probably OK as-is. All the things about my rig I thought were wacky and needed improvement, I hardly notice now that I have a few thousand miles on it.