Grand Junction area Rides & Riders thread

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by Greg@RME, Sep 11, 2009.

1. cycleking650

cycleking650 KLR 650

Oddometer:
    I'm thinking about doing a ride up lands ends road and down through mesa and back to junction this coming up Saterday if anyone is interested pm me and we could set something up
  2. Greg@RME

Greg@RME Weekend Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Video from Black Bear.... :D The descent starts at 5:00 min, the trail gets sketchy at 7:30 minutes. Enjoy... I sure did!

<iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Wg0lQO3neco" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="480" width="640"></iframe>
  3. Graywolf11

Graywolf11 Lobo Loco Moto

Oddometer:
    Between Cimarron Ridge and the Uncompaghre
    Nice clip Greg!
  4. GJMark

GJMark Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Amazing country! Hope I can ride well enough to take that road one day! Thanks for sharing the experience.
  5. Greg@RME

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys! Here's the other half of the days ride...

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/_tNRJv7Tgq4?list=UU3hyW69nuc5PInZAoiIryIg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  6. minerbill

minerbill Emits Methane Supporter

Oddometer:
    Tailwheel an I were in GJ yesterday for a water treatment class. We rode over in the morning. After it let out, he says, Let's go home a different way.

We know Baxter is torn up with the pipeline work, so let's try the next road west.

So, Jeans and work boots, check: Half a bottle of gatorade, check: Some tools, check: Weather, not terrible, check. Gas up in Fruita and head west.

What's the worst that could happen?

Well.... We did make it home without incident. :freaky

The real point of the tale is that is one cool ride. :D

Up the face of the bookcliffs across the ridges east to Atchee ridge and follow it to bail off near the Dragon townsite, then back to Rangey via cr109 and Dragon. These are all good roads, spectacular views, some shelf roads, aspens and some high speed haul ass road if you choose.

Fruita Maverick to Rangely : 133 miles

We were having so much fun, we didn't stop for pictures, sorry. :cry

This would make a great north/south connector for someone planning a big loop in this neighborhood.
  7. Greg@RME

Oddometer:
    The Bookcliffs up the UT/CO border are awesome, I've ridden & driven quite a bit of that. Matter of fact, I was thinking I need to make another trip out there soon! There are some amazing canyons on the way up, great scenery and very little traffic!

I have ridden up Baxter to Vernal, then down Nine Mile Canyon to the Swell and on home by way of Moab. Did it over 3 days and it was a great ride!
  8. Burro driver

Burro driver dba John

Oddometer:
    Any one interested in Stoney Pass by silverton on the 14th or 15th?
  9. Colorado Uli

Colorado Uli Must I?

Oddometer:
    Sorry mate, all booked up already. I rode it down to Rio Grand res last month. Always a blast. Consider going up lost creek and on to Wager Gulch after Stony. From there it's a short hop to Lake City for chow and brew.
    It's a challenge on big bikes, so you should be fine. Wait, what are you on again?
  10. Colorado Uli

Colorado Uli Must I?

Oddometer:
    Yup, there's at least ... four different ways I can think of to get to Vernal from the Grand Valley. Only limited by the Indian (sorry, NATIVE) reservation to the west. But damn, there's a cool looking loop that circles through their land that I would gladly sacrifice Bill's left nut for the chance to explore there. (Sorry brother, but you already have enough kids). But, them folks really don't like strangers on their land -- can't blame them at all after THAT sort of history. If anyone has any sort of connections to make it possible, I'll pay in green chili and elk.
  11. Burro driver

Burro driver dba John

Oddometer:
    I'll be on my WR450. That was the loop I was intending. I've never been around that way. Looks fun.
  12. Burro driver

Burro driver dba John

Oddometer:
    Anyone familiar with the pole creek trail, la garita stock drive way, and west lost trail creek trail loop.
  13. enduro-ince

enduro-ince dirtslave

Oddometer:
    ITs good!! Not to fun if its wet though! Similar to East Fork but a lot more scenic and above treeline.
  14. minerbill

Oddometer:
    Decided to stretch the legs on the new ride yesterday. Figured a round trip to Leadville should do it. I had some business I wanted to get done over there, so why not.

Tough to beat Calamity Ridge at sunrise.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Going up Hagerman was beautiful as always.

[​IMG]

The weekday ride was nice. Very little traffic. The campers were all off the road.

[​IMG]

Came back via Independence Pass. More traffic there than I would have expected for a Tuesday.

440 miles of flawless running in great weather.

Not a bad way to spend a day off! :clap
  15. Greg@RME

Oddometer:
    Beautiful ride Minerbill! How was Hagerman, was the water deep with all these recent storms?
  16. minerbill

Oddometer:
    Deeper than it looked. About to the top of my motocross boots. I hit it a little fast and was surprised how fast I slowed down. The rear end stepped out when I goosed it. I thought oh crap, but the beastie pulled on through. The rest of the ground was pretty sandy, so not much mud.
  17. Burro driver

Burro driver dba John

Oddometer:
    Thanks Tom. Sounds like you had fun at Taylor park.
  18. Greg@RME

Oddometer:
    Took the 300 out to the riding area outside of DeBeque today... I rode for a couple hours and while it was different and challenging, I just wasn't impressed. There were a couple trails that were closed, so I didn't ride everything... but I'm pretty sure I covered all the open trails. I took video of the ride, but don't know that it's worth editing & uploading. Neat area, but I should have gone out to Rabbit Valley or something.

That said, who wants to ride next weekend? I'm thinking of doing my usual Fruita desert ride, into the Bookcliffs and down 21 Road. Either Saturday or Sunday. I'd be on the 300... 21 Road is best for bikes sized around 450 or so.
  19. Colorado Uli

Colorado Uli Must I?

Oddometer:
    Riding the big bike in the San Juans (if they don't float away before then, with all this rain) with a friend who's coming down from Canadia. If the weather sucks monkey ass in the hills, we'll be riding along the Dinosaur Ride tracks up north in Norm and Bill's country.

Little birdy just told me that my little bike will be ready to ride again this week. Sooooo, Greg, we may actually get to ride single track this year after all.:clap
  20. Greg@RME

Oddometer:
    :wings Congrats, just say when and we'll put something together!

Take your rain gear and a paddle... I wonder what the cool weather is doing to the San Juans?