Ride to Eat destinations

Discussion in 'Regional Forums' started by stevejonesmo, Oct 8, 2009.

1. exoff-roadgoat

exoff-roadgoat Will ride for food

Oddometer:
    Arts Tavern On 6487 Western Av. in Glen Arbor Michigan. Small local place thats full of FIBs on summer weekends. Everything on the menu is good. Just a couple blocks over is Boones which is a little fancier and pricer and has music on the patio most summer nights. These both are on my favorite Michigan road, M 22. Further south in Pentwater is the Brown Bear at 278 S. Hancock St. They have the best burgers I've ever had. A few miles north of Pentwater is Bortell's Fisheries at 5528 S. Lakeshore Dr. All kinds of fried and smoked fish. Same family owned for over 100 years. Bonus points for the county park across the street on Lake Michigan. Down the road a couple of miles is the water intake plant with views high above the big lake. All the above are on curvy roads near Lk. Mich. Killer lake views abound along with the local whitetails. Be wary.:eek1
  2. stevejonesmo

stevejonesmo Rookie old fart

Oddometer:
    Missouri. Ozarks ain't Rockies, but they'll do.
    Great review... but if you could stop by http://ridetoeat.com/rte/add it will make the list.
  3. exoff-roadgoat

Oddometer:
    Got it. Just Arts? They are all great and so are the roads. Bortells has great fish. I'm riding up there tomorrow for some white fish. Then down to Stony Lake to watch my friends kite sail on the big lake. I've been to quite a few places in the Texas Hill country too. Coopers in Llano gets rave reviews but I think its just average. The riding experience nearby must make the food taste better? If anyone goes to Coopers get it to go because there is a nice park just down the street on the river.
  4. stevejonesmo

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the great Arts review. It's up there now at
    http://ridetoeat.com/#426.

Any more you want to add are very welcome and much appreciated.
  5. exoff-roadgoat

Oddometer:
    Great site. More on the way! Eye:ricky2:dg.....I also have a over active metabolism. TG.:D
  6. exoff-roadgoat

Oddometer:
    Hey you hosers, there have got to be some good places to eat in the UP? Lets have em! That place in Paradise next the cow is good. Whats its name? And the bar in Grand Marais has great pizza, so I'm told? You selfish yoopers try to keep everything to yourself. Send us down that tax cash too. The more tourist up there the better.:rofl
  7. exoff-roadgoat

Oddometer:
    Steve, I've been surfing your site and some of the restaurants aren't even near good riding roads? Some of the places I wouldn't even ride my bike to. Roseville Mich.?:confused Detroit? :confused All good restaurants but.......? We need to do some nuke'n. There must be some metro HD riders muddying up your most excellent site.
  8. stevejonesmo

Oddometer:
    The site is aimed at all riders - no matter where they may be. Even for our metro bretheren, there there are spots that just seem like a good place to ride to eat.

Like I say in my What makes an “RTE” spot? page:

That's why I went to the trouble of making a rating system that includes rating the ride. So people planning a trip to an RTE destination they've never been to have a fair idea what to expect.

I guess I could have gone another way and tried to focus on "where to eat along the best riding roads". But I preferred to focus on restaurants that call to you to get on the bike and go there, for whatever reason, rather than only places for adventure riders or sport riders or any particular niche to get fed while playing.

But if you see a spot that has a ride rating higher than it should, please click on the pencil icon next to it and give your feedback! The quality of data in this list depends entirely on the riding community, and if someone over-rates a road, the check-and-balance is that you can add your opinion to the mix.

Or, just go to the maps page, look at your preferred state, and ignore the red dots in the metro areas when you are looking for new places to ride to eat.

Win win!

The main thing is, I need your input, whether it's adding new destinations, or updating existing ones. A few months ago only about a quarter of the locations were rated by actual riders. Now it's almost up to two thirds. I really would like to get it up to 100%.
  9. exoff-roadgoat

Oddometer:
    Quote: just being a great restaurant is not enough........Thats what I'm talking about. Those good restaurants have nothing else to offer a biker, unless you want to cruise Woodward Av...... OK, your the boss, we'll do it your way.
  10. stevejonesmo

Oddometer:
    I don't know where Woodward Ave is but I assume it's the sort of place you buy chicken strips, not one where you get rid of them.

So, are you honestly saying that if a rider takes the time to come to my site and enter a place they like to ride to eat, I should delete it if it's from a Metro area? Even if they rated the ride accurately as a 1 or 2 or whatever?

So long as they rate the roads fairly they should be welcome. Not all riders live near the good twisties. But many of us have a few nearby eateries we are more likely to go to when on 2 wheels than on 4.

I just looked at the data, and the average Road rating is 3.6. Many are rated 1 or 2. You think I should delete all of those?

I tell you what would be a help. If you can point out any "unreviewed" entries that are in a location that is not near good riding, just drop me a note and I'll put it first in line for the chopping block. I've already done that for the areas I am familiar with, but that leaves a lot of territory uncovered.
  11. exoff-roadgoat

Oddometer:
    I'm sorry to be bugging you Steve. I guess I have a different definition of what a good ride to a good restaurant is, but like I said, its your site. Woodward Avenue is the first paved highway in America. It runs from the center of Detroit north to Pontiac and in the middle of August is the most happening place on the face of the earth. Over a million people and forty thousand of the coolest cars and motorcycles in the world. Wheelies, burn outs and BBQ.:dg Its Woodstock on wheels. Well, gotta go, I got a lot of reading to do on your site. Thanks
  12. stevejonesmo

Oddometer:
    I don't feel at all bugged. I'm glad to swap opinions, and especially appreciate that you have added three new entries to the data.

To whatever degree the site rocks, it's due to riders like you.
  13. stevejonesmo

Oddometer:
    Note to all:

I have just Fixed a problem that had the map files showing the "dots" offcenter where they should be. They were displaying 20 pixels up and 2 to the left... due to pilot error. Not a big deal if you were zoomed way in, but if you were zoomed out some even showed in a different state.

All better now, should be right on the money.

All the help I get get moving the data closer to 100% rider reviewed is greatly appreciated.
  14. exoff-roadgoat

Oddometer:
    There are a bunch of good eateries off of 1604 on the north end of San Antonio Texas, and there are a number of roads that lead from 1604 into the Texas hill country which has miles and miles of excellent riding. It would take too long to submit them all so I just submitted one of my favorites, Rudys BBQ, which is just north of 1604 on I-10. If your looking for a breakfast joint, Jims is about your only choice, but its good and has a senior menu for you older riders :lol3
  15. exoff-roadgoat

Oddometer:
    Da-Bump!:rickyII:dg.........Steve, you got the Love Creek website spelled wrong.
  16. stevejonesmo

Oddometer:
    Not me boss... it were a straight import from the author :D

Usually my crack team of data analysts tests the links though. I'll withhold their rations until they get the message that procedures must be followed.

And it's fixed.
  17. 1200gsceej

1200gsceej wanabee overachiever

Oddometer:
    Bump:D

18. stevejonesmo

Oddometer:
    Thanks man! But unfortunately the links are broken... better to head straight to the handy map page:

RideToEat.com/rte/map

That one should always work.
  19. justafurnaceman

justafurnaceman Imaginary

Oddometer:
    BUMP!

Told the wife that I was going for a ride to get a hamburger. Four hours and 240 miles later I returned! Now after finding this list/map of good places I'll be able to coordinate my trips along some good roads with some good places to stop and eat.

While I'm out in the western part of Maine I'll try to find some places for you.
  20. bwalsh

bwalsh Long timer

Oddometer:
    So how dopes one go about getting restaurants added to the map? It doesn't seem to be open for edits from another party as I have a Google account and don't see any editing tools...

I have a few places in Virginia and West Virginia to add. Look at the 1st post in the RTE link in my sig line...and that's not all of them. I got lazy. :evil