Question regarding low speed stutter buell ulysses

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by ronandkat, Jul 31, 2012.

1. ronandkat

ronandkat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Decided to start another thread.. Previously I had stated my idle was about 900 RPM, whih was said to be too low.
    The PO said it was low because it wouldnt idle right at the suggested rpm of 1050-1150 or so.

I Understand this to be true, because under VERY I mean EXTREMELY light throttle application, as in 1/4 of a 1/4, of a 1/4.. (you get the picture) it misses and sputters. If I open the throttle "just enough" to raise the rpms to the 1050 range, it sputters bad, a little more throttle to say 1300 rpm on up, it behaves perfectly. Doesnt really affect my riding much since im rarely in a throttle position that close to closed.. However it has me wondering if maybe the TPS may need reset as its the only thing I could think of? Cant stress enough it runs great and strong every where else.
    The PO gave me ECMspy and the connector cabel, I am supposed to be able to use that to reset the TPS.. Does this fit the symptoms? Still not in the know on this bike. Thanks!
  2. JTucker

JTucker Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would reset the tps. Yes you can do it with ecmspy.
    Expect the bike to run bad for a few minutes until it relearns.
  3. unlucky1

unlucky1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It sure sounds to me like the TPS needs to be reset. There are tutorials everywhere, I used this one and it got me through http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i33__Qkvhn4

After you reset it, like JTucker said it might run bad right after you do it. Take it for a nice easy 15-20minute steady-speed ride on the highway so the ECM can relearn the zero'd out TPS and it should run much nicer.
  4. Petrus

Petrus Adventurer

Oddometer:
    And you might try a breather reroute, that will solve also a lot of low end stutter problems. I did mine 2 years ago or so and never had any problems when starting and driving anymore.
  5. madeouttaglass

madeouttaglass Hippie Ki Yay! Humboldt changed my life.

Oddometer:
    The Lost Coast of California, occasionally AZ
  6. ronandkat

Oddometer:
    Ill have to look at the breather reroute as well. I think I may leave it alone for a month or so and get used to the bike, and its quirks, then maybe look at doing a TPS reset.
    The fans on these things, mine comes on as soon as I turn off the key, doe sit ever come on while running?
    I mean literally if the fan is running and I turn the switch back on , it cuts off the fan? Is this proper, with the assumption that while its running the oil is circulating and air flowing, but at shut off all of that stops?
    Just curious. Longest ride I have been on so far is about 40 minutes, and in all reality I cant tell if the fan runs or not while riding because of noise, etc..

Ahh Some research and the 2010 on up have fans that come on above 12 MPH.. Mines a 2007, does it come on at all while running, even if the temps get high?
  7. JTucker

JTucker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes it will come on when running if the engine temp gets high enough. Every time I spend a while at high speed it comes on. It cuts off when you turn the key back on, all the older ones do that. I really don't know why.
  8. unlucky1

Oddometer:
    I'd do it ASAP since you have the software and link cable already. If it's off, your ECM is not fueling the engine properly and the wonky idle at proper speed isn't a quirk, it's out of tune. You'll like riding it a lot more with it set right and it only takes a half hour or so to do.
  9. Murf2

Murf2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I hope you get along with your Uly. I love mine. AFAIK the fans logic differs by year plus there were program "upgrades" from time to time. My 06+ fan will run fairly often while moving in hot weather. My wife's 07 never runs when moving AFAIK but runs longer after when stopped. Rider heat is less on the 06 than on the 07. I believe the 06 fan acts differently now after an ECM "update" than it did when I first got it.

Good Luck

Murf

P.S. Lots of good help here http://badweatherbikers.com/
  10. ronandkat

Oddometer:
    Does the TPS reset affect the ECM in anyway? Im just worried to do it, because with my luck, it will run worse..L
    It really doesn run great pretty much everywhere except that tiny little point.. Its not even really noticable riding, even on city streets in slow traffic I have to actually mkae it happen on order for it to occur.
  11. ronandkat

Oddometer:
    Murf, I am really enjoying it.. The heat not as much.. But 95 degrees in city traffic is not a fair test.. Its certainly tolerable on the back roads and such.. Maybe Ill wrap the headers.. Thats my only real complaint so far. Dont really want to do the comfort kit.
  12. unlucky1

Oddometer:
    Yes, sort of indirectly. Technical discussion alert!

When you run at a steady speed with light load/throttle, the ECM goes into "learn mode" where it pays attention to the O2 sensor's output. If it's too rich in this state, it leans out the WHOLE map - too lean, it richens the map. Again, the whole map - it has no ability to make fine dynamic adjustments.

So there's that. Then when your TPS is out of wack, it's basically telling your ECM you're at a different throttle position than you really are, and it will fuel it incorrectly. From here, if you're fueling incorrectly the O2 sensor is going to give bogus output to the ECM and the ECM will richen/lean the whole map based on that bogus information. That can cause bucking, rough running, misses, and can even foul plugs over time.
  13. argentcorvid

argentcorvid Some Guy

Oddometer:
    The ECM learning only takes place when revs are steady for a period of time (5 minutes?) above 3,000 RPM.

on the fan, people kept complaining about how noisy they were, so a firmware update was put out that between 0 and (i think) 25 mph, the fan is off, above that it should be running as necessary but everything else is too loud to hear it. so if you're putting around town, the rear head gets really hot, and when you shut off the bike, it turns the fan on HIGH.
  14. ronandkat

Oddometer:
    Based on this, its sounds like id need to do a reset every time I got on the highway for more than 5 minutes at a time? If Im understanding it correctly?

Ill see about learning this software and maybe doing a reset this weekend, if for nothing else, just to learn the process.

I know the previous owner went on a 1200 mile round trip ride to NH with no issues 2 weeks before I bought the bike.
  15. unlucky1

Oddometer:
    Not every time you ride it. Normal throttle cable stretch will put it off over time. Maybe like once a season or if it's exhibiting symptoms of an off-TPS (like you're seeing) or before every time you make adjustments to the fuel mapping (so that you don't map it off).

I used this tutorial to do mine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i33__Qkvhn4
  16. argentcorvid

argentcorvid Some Guy

Oddometer:
    The ECM learning is programmed to happen automatically whil riding.
    The TPS reset is something you have to do in the garage. the 08 and newer bikes don't need the software.

best bet: do the TPS reset, and then an ECM learn.
  17. ronandkat

Oddometer:
    So one last question.. (for now, Im sorry, I have been jetting carbs for 20 years to near perfection, this is the first time Ihave had fuel injection on a bike!)

If the ecm is "learning" and richening or leaning while cruising at steady throttle, It would seem to me, this could affect performance in terms of acceleration etc.. Although probably minimal? I mean if im cruising at say 60 MPH with little varience in throttle input, and it deems it needs to richen it up, Then when I stop at a stop sign, and suddenly start off again riding differently, say stop and go, then is my ECM still mapped to a richer setting, as I could see this having a slight performance negative?

Again, sorry for the questions! Im learning here.
  18. Hog Rider

Hog Rider The Professor Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have not seen it listed as suggestion here, Try raising the idle to about 1050 and then take the bike for a ride and then see how it goes. I had to do that before I did the breather update and have not touched it in 15,000 miles.

There is a little thumb screw with a cable in it between the left air duct and the frame , give it a small turn and see what happens. Like the other responses you need to run the bike a little down the road then see how it feels afterwords.

Good luck
  19. ronandkat

Oddometer:
    Umm silly question folks, but where is the Port to plug in the ECMspy Cable? Is it directly off the ecm?
  20. ronandkat

Oddometer:
    I found it.. Please wish me lucjk as I attempt the TPS reset tomorrow.. I have bad luck in the elctronic relm of things!