Looking for a carry on bag

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by Apxgrndr, Jan 23, 2013.

1. vtwin

vtwin Air cooled runnin' mon Supporter

Oddometer:
    I use this, Hartman Carry on. Tough and my wife won it on some company raffle, so the price was right.

[​IMG]
  2. R59

R59 they call me Rocker

Oddometer:

Don't listen to the haters. Sometimes it's nice to have nice things.

:thumb
  3. Ursa Major

Ursa Major Bemused

Oddometer:
    Yep. I've had a Tumi leather garment bag since 1988, it's an awesome bag but I should have gotten ballistic for the weight; I traveled around the world with it for about five years, now it sits in a closet - still functional, I just don't need a garment bag since I stopped wearing suits to work. I also have an expandable ballistic carry bag and a ballistic wheeled bag with a handle, both from Tumi, I've had each of them for about 15 years. All of my Tumi bags have over a million miles on them, and each is still functional. I've replaced a couple of zippers over time, but that's it - no rips or tears. It's expensive stuff, but worth it. Not as stylish as a Filson, but it works and it will last you a career and look good doing it, and black ballistic nylon never looks dated. I've taken to traveling with one of the smaller carry-on bags and a backpack; I have a nice Tumi leather briefcase and a Brenthaven ballistic computer bag that I used to take everywhere, but I prefer the convenience of a backpack since computer, iPad, chargers, etc. became a centerpiece of life on the road.
  4. falconati

falconati baller

Oddometer:
    I was in 4D - samesies with the aisle. The FF with the aisle seat didn't want to get up when I needed to use the restroom either. Must have been a silver with a last minute upgrade.
  5. Hardware02

Hardware02 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have the Oakley Icon Backpack...

[​IMG]

Good size, can hold a laptop, durable so far.
  6. PvtIdaho

PvtIdaho Deck Spotter

Oddometer:
  7. Apxgrndr

Apxgrndr In the snow

Oddometer:
    So I picked up the sportsman, it's in the overhead as we speak, awesome, well built bag, I am now a bag whore :clap
  8. R59

R59 they call me Rocker

Oddometer:
    :thumb

You know there are a bunch of cheap fuckers in the house when it's the Guzzi owner who is encouraging you to spend money!

:lol3
  9. Grainbelt

Grainbelt marginal adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm sure it is a very nice murse. :thumb
  10. DriveShaft

DriveShaft Long timer

Oddometer:
    I use that exact bag nearly every day for my change of clothes when I commute to work. We better not stand next to each other. :D

I wouldn't use it as a carry-on bag though...not anywhere close to the size limits. I prefer to max out the size limits...not that I have to pack that much...but if I needed to, I have the liberty to, and I'm much more likely to be able to avoid the baggage claim areas. The opening is also really friggin narrow to be stuffing so much into it.

Carry-on wise, I have two go-to bags. You're allowed to bring two...so I have two. One that fits just barely under seat, and one that fits, just barely, in the overhead compartment, and both fit within CONUS carry-on limitations. Tumi happens to be my version, but they all have options that work--hartmann, Samsonite, etc. I lean towards the travel-specific brands, because they generally figure out the needs as a whole system, not just single pieces

The Filson is pretty good for the under seat option. Nice wide opening. It could stand to be a hair bigger. Classic look. Army-Issue durability. True, you're paying for the brand, not the durability (Army issue is cheap). But screw it, it's a nice brand. If you can afford it, go for it.

The criteria for the overhead compartment bag is that it be wheeled, and can hang the under-seat one over the side so that the weight is balanced on the wheels, and I can all literally control it with one finger as I *sprint* to the gate, regardless of what I'm carrying. I can buy a dozen bottles of scotch at the duty free shop, and still move easily and quickly. The overhead one also has got to be built w/ nothing that could be easily destroyed on the outside if I had to check it. I've sent ski bags, and back packs through, and you'd be amazed how reckless those handlers/machines are at keeping loose ends attached.
  11. gremor

gremor RS'er

Oddometer:
    I have started using this for my overhead compartment / roller bag.

[​IMG]

So far so good.

I like the packing sleeves that came with it and you can sit on it!
  12. gremor

gremor RS'er

Oddometer:
    I posted before on the MAXPEDITION gear, they have a massive selection of stuff.

Along with a BOB (Maxpedition Condor II backpack) I keep in my truck.

[​IMG]

I use this bag /case for everyday carry and business trips.

[​IMG]

I don't think it's too man purse like!!

My SO say I have a bag issue:lol3
  13. George Papadopolis

George Papadopolis between

Oddometer:
    What year is your KLR?
  14. Apxgrndr

Apxgrndr In the snow

Oddometer:
    I know right? I'm giving my wife a run for her money now, I can tell she's jealous as hell:D

I really like the looks of that maxpedition stuff:thumb
  15. cab591

cab591 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'll take it you're military?

I just used it has my carry on last month for winter exodus. Packed to its limits, it actually did max out the carry on limitations (barely fit in the "if your bag fits in here..." things in the airport). First time using that bag traveling -- I usually use a small black duffle, that extends out. Can't for the life of me remember what brand it is, though.

Overall, impressed with that little L.L. Bean. It was tough enough, and proved to be somewhat water resistant (had to walk a half mile in the rain to catch a bus to the airport). With as much as I had in it, wheels would've been nice. I could carry it alright, but it was definitely heavy / bulky. Usually when flying, I have one carry on and one personal bag (usually a backpack, big enough to carry my laptop). Unfortunately my current backpack is camo, with "US ARMY" on it, and I was traveling OCONUS for leave. Couldn't identify myself as a government employee, so needless to say I couldn't bring my backpack with me. Damn regulations. :deal

Thinking I might spend a little money on my next bag, and get one from here. And yes, those are real bags, and they do actually look like that in person. :huh It'd be pretty damn easy to spot.
  16. koncha

koncha .

Oddometer:
  17. 10/10ths

10/10ths Road Trip Fool Supporter

Oddometer:
  18. ivel_86

ivel_86 Chair Ranger

Oddometer:
    Duluth trading company makes a cool carry bag.