Bicycle thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Zodiac, Jul 10, 2006.

1. Gummee!

Gummee! That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer:
    My big question becomes 'why let your opponents know how fast (or how slow) you're going?!

I'll stick with another software package that let's me keep that private, thanks.

...and I'm not fixin to brag about 'winning the training ride' any time soon. :nono

M
  2. Aurelius

Aurelius Long timer

Oddometer:
    Maybe you should use it to your advantage by uploading slower runs than you're actually capable of. :deal
  3. Gummee!

Oddometer:
    yeah, there is that

You're a tricksy hobbit...

M
  4. Chisenhallw

Chisenhallw Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer:
    Get a room you two.
  5. Gummee!

Oddometer:
    Piss off. This is my personal blog don'tcha know?!

:mrskbasa

:D

1st ride with the new Edge. 1st ride in 17 years with an HRM. I got UP to 105bpm. Tried to keep it down 90-95 bpm, but a headwind into a slight rise got me going.

No jacket. No booties. No heavy gloves. No beanie under my helmet. This is Jan?! :confused

M

yes, I'm kidding you!
  6. Weirdo

Weirdo Welcome to you're "DOOM"

Oddometer:
    My heart rate goes above 105 if I look at my bike. I think I'm at about 90 right now at my desk.

:lol3
  7. Aurelius

Aurelius Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looks like I'll be spending the weekend practicing some of this:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Hp_jDNN6XfQ?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

:D
  8. SeaBass

SeaBass Long timer

Oddometer:
    Triathletes on a hill...

http://youtu.be/EcqIgCJNjto

<IFRAME height=315 src="<a href=" width=560 target="_blank" EcqIgCJNjto? embed www.youtube.com http:>http://www.youtube.com/embed/EcqIgCJNjto" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></IFRAME>
  9. ducnut

ducnut Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks, guys! :thumb

That's a gearing problem; not a triathlete problem. :deal
  10. melville

melville Long timer

Oddometer:
    Pulled the Vitus out from the back of the shop, pumped up the tires and lubed the chain. Ready for another year!

Did the annual battery replacement in the Avocet--only 165 miles last year :huh Most of that riding with the younger boy to school. Looking to do a bit more this year.
  11. championsound

championsound Regardant fixement le soleil

Oddometer:
    Really curious where you got this image from because it looks strangely familiar. I'm thinking it's a Mercian with a custom barbor pole paint job and Vigorelli lugs...
  12. Aurelius

Aurelius Long timer

Oddometer:
    A local Niner dealer has one in the box that he offered to me for $1400. Retail price on these is $2400. Should I buy it? :ear

[​IMG]
  13. mud

mud I just wander.....

Oddometer:
    Yes.
  14. Crocodile Tears

Crocodile Tears Powerful Truth Angels Supporter

Oddometer:
    So I picked up a set of nashbar PVC parabolic rollers for use during the icy winters here, which of course caused a heat wave melting the snow, but thats besides the point.

Never did ride rollers before, and man do I have to say these things are a real sonovabitch. I can get up using the wall for a support, but to just do a freestanding start is nearly impossible. Any tips? I will say once you get moving they are much better than any resistance trainer ive used, and wear you out trying to maintain speed to help your stability.

The nashbar units appear to be of decent quality, though the rollers scuff easilly. For $150, I cant complain and would reccomend them for anyone tired of dodging snowflakes. I havent even massively ate shit off them yet (although it sure felt like I was trying for the first day)
  15. Mr Head

Mr Head Tired at the beach

Oddometer:
    If you have an unfinished basement use them there if it's not too dank and has headroom. You can grip over head.

Or two boxes one each side. .
    Low gears toi begin your spin and balance.
    Proper set up of the wheelbase match to the roller spacing will help a lot.

Don't watch TV at first. If you're indoors you'll need a fan. If the rollers have plain bearings with some good drag you won't need big gears.
    Rollers reward smooth pedal strokes, i.e.pedaling squares.

I gave mine away and told the guy they were free if he promised to never bring them back. I'd rather ride on ice. :lol3

16. mud

mud I just wander.....

Oddometer:
    NEVER, EVER ,EVER watch anything on TV that will make you flinch. Walking Dead would send you flying!:eek1

Practice is the only thing that worked for me, concentrate on SMOOOOOOTH.
  17. Wadester

Wadester Rides a dirty bike

Oddometer:
    Here's how you do it:
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/AKEHoA_xl-U" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  18. Gummee!

Oddometer:
    IME triathletes are mostly runners and swimmers that ride a bike because their sport requires them to. They're not cyclists that run and swim. :nah ...and I'll agree with the 'its a gearing issue' to a certain extent because of the above.

Speaking of gearing... Mark your calendars now! The Devil's Backbone ride is going to be on 23Mar13 this year. (details on the web) I'll be there. :ricky Had a great time last year at both rides. Bring rain stuff, the ride goes off rain or shine. :nod ...AND bring a 27t cassette. You'll need it!

M
  19. Gummee!

Oddometer:
    +1

After a short while, you'll be able to stand up to relieve some of the pressure 'down there,' you'll be able to ride no-handed, and you'll be able to get a drink out of your cages. It really all just comes down to 'ride em more.'

Turning the wheels faster = easier to go straight. (but I'll bet you've figured that out by now)

M
  20. ducnut

ducnut Long timer

Oddometer:
    If it's the right size, yes! However, it overlaps what you already have.