Ultra gravel-traveller. RC8´ed Adv-S...

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by LocuL, May 29, 2010.

1. LocuL

LocuL Gnarly Steward

Oddometer:
    Nice to hear it works. I can only think that its my lesser skills which have lead to this problem. Bike will be in my hands next week and will try address the problem.
  2. jimmibanke

jimmibanke Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Im using the oem 2 piston brake with a galfer wave 300 disc no probs what so ever! Ive tested them for 6000km now and it brakes fine.
  3. Balsta

Balsta Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I guess you mean 320 mm disc? Otherwise, the pope is catholic.
  4. LocuL

LocuL Gnarly Steward

Oddometer:
    Well a little update.

Bike has been run in and all is almost well. But(t) there is a bite. The engine isn´t performing as wished. I know we all need 1000 bhp, but this is the bottom. At crank i assume the RC8R 09 put out 176bhp, that would be in the ballpark of 140-150 on the rear, am I wrong? The curve is very "stepped" and not linear? Would could any of you knowhow tuners give me your thoughts. I´m well aware that my bike will not perform as an standard RC8R though this is far from.
    Setup is:
    RC8R 09
    Straight 2-1, 2.5" akrapovic
    Rottweiler airfilter(actually ITG, but same same)
    Bazzaz tune box
    Run in is made with SuperDuke rear slick tire.

[​IMG]

I´ve tried to think of what i´ve changed and can´t remember anything significant. Apart from needing the "ram-air" system. Then again, if the Rottweiler system works well on RC8R then i assume its not there.

hmmm

anyone.<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

Edit:
    I have forgotten that i do not have any ballancing pipe as the LC8 have. Would it be "un-ballanced".

On to a another thing. My Aqualine had made a leak at the fuelpump gasket. Pulled the tank and would take it off. The 3 first screws went good but then Murphys law struck me. The recessed part in the fuel tank started to turn around. Before i go apeshit and burn it all, i would like to know if any of you guy have thought of some external fuel pump for this(both 990-1190). Then i could seal up the hole and mount the fuel pump elsewhere.

Regarding my binding front end suspension from Lyndon i´m working out an solution. Annoying but we got a good conversation going.

Have fun.
  5. mousitsas

mousitsas Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is there any case the timing is gear-related and you are now running a restricted power ignition map?
  6. LocuL

LocuL Gnarly Steward

Oddometer:
    Nope and no restriction in the powermap. Or do i misunderstand you?
  7. DirtJack

DirtJack Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    356 miles SE or 539 miles NW of Orla, Texas
    What does it do with out the Bazzaz {just the KTM ECU}?
  8. LocuL

LocuL Gnarly Steward

Oddometer:
    Good question. Haven´t tried yet. Thanks for a good idea.
  9. Mudguts

Mudguts when in doubt GAS IT

Oddometer:
    Have you bridged the clutch switch or gear sensors , think if you have it may
    Lock the ecu into thinking your changing gear or in a lower gear and cut power

????
  10. LocuL

LocuL Gnarly Steward

Oddometer:
    UPDATE:

EPIC FAIL...

It´s my own fault and it started when I bought the engine. The seller has always told me that the engine was an RC8R from 09. That wasn´t complete true. I´ve rechecked the engine nr at 2 places. Which gives me this:2009 RC8

Huge balls.

That would explin the horsepower and the probably the weird power band. Remember this bike got the RC8R map with the RC8R bazzaz unit. That is just so boring...

What will i do. Well money is a bit tight now as i´m prepping my new to me, 2013 KTM 350 SXF to enduro. I should be able to run the complete Enduro series next year. That just sadly means that i can´t afford an RC8R engine for now. Though on the other hand my mission will be that next year at this time i should have an RC8R engine and an 1190 adv gearbox.
    To sum it up, i haven´t done anything wrong powerwise, so an RC8R should perform like hell. Though i never got satisfied with the RC8 gearbox. Now i got a chance to correct this. Just need to find out if the engine will accept the ADV 1190 gearbox.

Hope yo all are doing fine and having a great time. Looking forward to see what happens when the 1190 Adv hit the US market. Going to be CRAZY
  11. tilting40s

tilting40s Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Locul, what size rear tire did you run when it was getting eaten by the chain? Thanks!
  12. LocuL

LocuL Gnarly Steward

Oddometer:
    SuperDuke 180 will get eaten a bit. But i has stopped as i´ve tightened the chain a tad. It works very good, but i´m thinking of the 19/17 solution again.
  13. Blackbert

Blackbert Factory Rambler

Oddometer:

If the RC8 is built like the LC8 is, it will take the adv gearbox.
    IIRC, it was Kamanya who put his 950 adv gears in his 990 duke motor.
  14. LocuL

LocuL Gnarly Steward

Oddometer:
    That is good infomation.

I´ve just done the microfiche looking through all the gearing numbers. That will of course not tell me that it Works straight out of the box, but i´m confident that the KTM 1190 Adv gearing will go straight into the RC8R.

Though i´ve been searching alongside what i should do with this RC8 engine i´ve mounted. In a small brainfart i thought i could drop some parts into it from a RC8R(crank, piston, rods,etc...). It would actually make sense since i´m splitting the case anyway to Mount the Adv gearing. I knew the parts were expensive and would use some ebay magic. Problem is that these parts don´t flow around like the RC8 and LC8. So i´m seeking another engine and would be going for the dual ignition. This won´t be happening over night. But the goal is set and i´m sure it will be a fun ride to.

Since nothing is coming from my part regarding RC8 i´ve put my 350 through stupid stuff.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/_9-GzR9RtH4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  15. LocuL

LocuL Gnarly Steward

Oddometer:
    Slight knowhow update for the interested.

I´m still looking for the engine. RC8R is chosen regarding economy and the dual spark for better combustion and the heavyer crank. I think the crank will make it a better touring machine(i hope).
    Though i still had to figure out the gearing. I´ve looked through the parts from an 950/990 adv gearing vs the parts from an RC8(r). I´m sure they won´t fit.
    In the other hand the 1190 Adv and RC8R looks similar.
    RC8(R) T1
    [​IMG]

1190 Adv T1
    [​IMG]

RC8(R) T2
    [​IMG]

1190 Adv T2
    [​IMG]

This will ofcourse not be 100% sure, but i´m confidient that it can be worked out.

waiting for Dakar to start...

:freaky
  16. Quacamole

Quacamole Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Lil offtopic, but how's that plastic welded tank doing so far?
    No issues, no leaks, have you dropped the bike - no cracks?
    Did you cover the welds with additional epoxy and resin for
    more strength.

Planning to use SE tank on my build and widen it to fit the frame.
    To do that I need to cut the tank in half and try to weld with
    same method as your tank was done. Am I overdoing it?

Br.,
    Peeter
  17. StevenD

StevenD Hmmmm, dirt!

Oddometer:
    Hi Locul,

Been meening to ask you, does the rear cam cover still come off with the engine in the frame, can you do a valve adjustment on the rear cyllinder?
    Also, do you recon a high exhaust would be possible with clearance to both the tank and rear cylinder / frame?

I'm in the market for an engine too now :-)
  18. LocuL

LocuL Gnarly Steward

Oddometer:
    Sorry for superlate answer.

Plastic tanks have done flawless. Epoxy/resin won´t Work on these tanks. The safaris are between 0.7mm and 10mm+ everywhere i did cut them. That is why these tanks shouldn´t be used with any protection.

As long you got an good welder you can hack these tanks as much you want.

StevenD

Maybe, 50% chance on that ´cause i don´t know the room required. The cover will go off, but the Work i can´t relate on.

High exhaust would (maybe)not be possible. The rear tanks will not allow it to go past. And you will end up the same problems as the new 1190 Adv owners. Heated nuts/butts. My new build will go back to 2-2 exhaust with out any connection.
  19. LocuL

LocuL Gnarly Steward

Oddometer:
    Update:

Small step have been taken to ensure my fully commitment to see this project end within a year. Deadline is set to be 2015 summer.

My 350 sxf 2013 which i competed with in the Danish championship have been sold as knee wouldn´t take the beating. Did 2 of this years contests which sadly went really good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmBz7_y8cLU&list=UUwIS9n2izYo3HIsXOSqy36g

This has made me regroup and put some effort and head into the new push for the (imo) perfect touring bike.

I´ve stated earlyer in this forum what my wish is. Today i recieved one of the hard to get thingys.
    2013 KTM 1190 Adv gearbox. 5500km...perfect.
    [​IMG]

That is huge as i got a real bargain contrary to what a new would cost. 600$

The garage have been cleaned and i will be rethinking my garage to make it as comfortable as possible to work there. No way near any of these garages we see here or on Garagejournal. But sufficient and effective.

Bike as it sits now.
    [​IMG]

Hope you all enjoy your summer and if any needs an cheap RC8 09 with all to make it run, please get in touch. i will not be needing it anymore. Will be stripped and cleaned. 6500km. Perfect for the SE project.
  20. wilmar13

wilmar13 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Very cool LocuL. The wider ratio's of 1st-3rd will be a bit better suited to the bikes purpose.

Since you have the cases split, have you looked into the 1290 liners fitting in there? You could have a short stroke big bore with new pistons and liners, or add the crank for the full monty. Actually lets be honest; with the 1190 ADV now something any wanker can buy, you need to do this. :evil