The impossible ride

Discussion in 'Trip Planning' started by Xdream, Jul 20, 2012.

1. AtlasExp

AtlasExp beer me

Oddometer:
    Spending couple of weeks to get to Canol rd from NY, on a 200cc bikes was not a option! And also I hate pavement!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D For Canol trail only very light bike can be used! Max 250cc! Couple major river crosings, lots of wet muddy places!!!! only way to make it happend is to plan, plan and plan!
  2. morerpmfred

morerpmfred Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here is an obscure one. Crest iron road/trail Yukon. Start at Mayo Yukon and head north on the amerada / proctor / wind valley road. Three names same road. Original road went to Eagle plains Yukon. Construction began in 59 to bring supplies to drilling rigs in Eagle plains. [​IMG]
    From hungary creek west to the dempster was the winter road part. The access trail/road for crest iron starts here and goes east. This road was put 1961 to bring supplies to geologists who where surveying and accessing the site of north americas largest iron ore deposits. Road abandoned four years later.
    A couple years later a winter road was punched in to fairchild lake as well as well as some connector winter roads for siesmic lines north of there as well.
    Chevron resources is the minersl rights owners. There is an abandoned camp at crest iron with a huge fuel tank. About 200 fuel barrels and some buildings on site.
    There are two major rivers to cross to get there. The bonnet plume and the wind river. Location is about 225 klics north east of Mayo Yukon and about 550 to 600 kilimeters of road/trail. A couple of google images pictures. [​IMG][​IMG]
    And there is another smaller river to cross. The snake. [​IMG]
  3. buls4evr

buls4evr No Marks....

Oddometer:
    Downtown Damascus, Syria.............. ?
  4. Klay

Klay dreaming adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for posting that, it was a good read.
  5. Witold

Witold Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    See it this way: 99% of the people who go to the beach just go and have fun and that's it.

On the flip side, 99% of the people who do these "challenges" seem to spent more time self-promoting their conquests than actually doing them. Do they get satisfaction from going, or do they get satisfaction from telling other people that they went?

Of course it doesn't matter in the end, but I think there is something to it.

And I would much rather read the North Korea ride report than yet another we-highwayed-our-asses-to-Alaska ride report. :D

My vote goes to the first white guy who hires his own little militia to take him to Mogadishu. Now THAT would be a ride report. hahaha.
  6. WillowFiveTwo

WillowFiveTwo Have fun now, you may not be any good at it later

Oddometer:
    South Waziristan
  7. EtronX

EtronX Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The thought has actually crossed my simple mind :evil