The F5 Bivouac (rallye raid news) and W2RC - World cross country rally championship

Discussion in 'Racing' started by PackMule, Dec 23, 2009.

1. doyle

doyle RallyRaidReview-ing

Oddometer:
    I've asked a few of them, Speedbrain and the riders are contracted to BMW Motorad through 2014. They plan to release the TE449RR, or whatever it will end up being called, as a homologated race bike for public sale similar to the 450 Rally Replica. The plan is to rebrand the bike a BMW since that is really what it started out as anyway.

Beyond 2014, who knows. That interview and BMW's presser sure make it sound as if BMW wanted out of the hardcore dirt market so what would be the purpose of continuing with a Dakar team? My expectation is that they will hastily rebrand the bike as BMW for the remainder of 2013 and for Dakar 2014 with a Speedbrain massaged version of the Husky 450 (which essentially was the BMW/Kymco 450) and when contracts are up, Speedbrain either continues on their own with the bike (since they control most of the engineering data rights) a la Bordone-Ferrari or they link up with another manufacturer. Beyond contractual obligations, I don't see BMW continuing along that path. What would they have to gain?
  2. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente f5ree sub-zero agent

Oddometer:

+1

maybe Speedbrain by KYMCO...??? What a spectacular way for an Asian marque to break into the game... :huh

they could piggyback/synergise the thing off the CCM/Kymco project perhaps?

Wouldn't that put a ding in JengChings little red wagon (re-stickered for Dakar) tactics...? :rofl:rofl
  3. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    Thanks Doyle :thumb

Speedbrain Kymco.....now wouldn't that be something :eek1
  4. Dread Pendragon

Dread Pendragon Tragic Donkey Throttler

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  5. silentwolf

silentwolf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Actually I read this as Off-Road, not just MX. The Dakar is on a lot of OUR minds, but not nesc. the general public, so his comments might have reflected that. Perhaps Husky has never been 'the' title contender in Dakar, but it's always been off road and I have to guess he's reflecting on this.

As BMW 'can't honor' their obligations, SpeedBrain contracts could be 'adjusted' like so many contracts I've seen. Though I suspect they'll keep working with the 449 for the next couple years whether it stays Husky or BMW. If the engineering rights are really theirs, it could be interesting to see what they did as an independent too...

As for Husaberg, it was sad to see the homologation, but they needed something to stay alive. The way Pierer talks, I can't see that he wants to turn Husky into another 'Berg. From the sound of the actual money being moved around, he's in charge, and KTM will be involved, but they are keeping things seperate. More like a Toyota/Yamaha motor technology collaboration in the end perhaps?

Guess I'm just hopeful...
  6. silentwolf

silentwolf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Now that could be interesting... :wink:
  7. JMo (& piglet)

JMo (& piglet) Unicorn breeder

Oddometer:
    fwiw. I'd say the Speedbrain style chassis (that is rear main tank, front header tank, slim ergos and linkage suspension) and a KTM450RR engine would be an excellent combo for the 'new' Dakar, especially at the Factory sharp end?

Jx
  8. Jurassic

Jurassic Long timer

Oddometer:
    I can't help thinking that this move represents consolidation of the various off road brands and may ultimately lead to a reduction in the diversity of manufacturers competing in events like the Dakar. As a neutral fan this would make things less interesting to me. Surely if Pierer maintains his links with KTM/Husa then we aren't going to be seeing any factory or semi-factory Husqvarna effort in Rally Raid in a few years time?
  9. Myway

Myway Long timer

Oddometer:
    HOGWILD :wink: , the MAN to beat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ronny Renders, the sidecar finisher in regual time.

2:20

<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/36282617?title=0&amp;byline=0&amp;portrait=0&amp;color=c9ff23" width="1000" height="562" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe>
  10. wrk2surf

wrk2surf on the gas or brakes

Oddometer:
    THE exact center of California/Bass lake/Yosemite

the words nepotism or monopoly comes to mind
  11. HogWild

HogWild Skott Whitknee

Oddometer:
    He's a legend. Did a lot of crazy stuff in his day!
  12. Myway

Myway Long timer

Oddometer:
    Annie Seel

http://nwt.se/sport/motorsport/svenskarallyt/article1248153.ece

After all the crashes in the Dakar rally has Annie cobbled together – and come back. But störtdykningarna among the dunes has not gone unnoticed. An hour before the start of the Swedish Rally dropped out one shoulder dislocated. '

– I'm waiting for surgery for it there, and I managed to get the shaft in position again and was able to start,
  13. wrk2surf

wrk2surf on the gas or brakes

Oddometer:
    THE exact center of California/Bass lake/Yosemite
  14. Dread Pendragon

Dread Pendragon Tragic Donkey Throttler

Oddometer:
    I don't know what rally this is from, but it's a great video:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/HpeHmS6BLu0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  15. JMo (& piglet)

JMo (& piglet) Unicorn breeder

Oddometer:
    Yes - I think it has a lot of potential! - well, with the TE449 modified version of that engine at least - I know BMW/Speedbrain struggled in the Dakar with the original G450X version cooking it's clutch and stuff like that...

Jx
  16. Gian

Gian dreamer

Oddometer:
  17. Emmbeedee

Emmbeedee Procrastinators

Oddometer:
  18. too old

too old Keen supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks like it's a real Red Bull "soap box" event and they are using Cyril to promote it - maybe Vettel wasn't available, or they didn't have the budget :rofl
  19. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    LA PAZ, Jan. 16 (Xinhua) -- Bolivia's President Evo Morales Wednesday said his country "is close" to be included in the 2014 Dakar Rally, due to the negotiations held with organizers of the international motoring event.
    "We are close to achieve the goal, due to we have held negotiations for two or three years. My government will continue negotiating, with the participation of our institutions and experts in the motoring issue to guarantee this international event," said Morales during a public event.

Before the beginning of the 2013 Dakar Rally Jan. 5, Bolivia was informed that to be part of the 2014 edition, the country needs the support of Peru and Argentina, besides investing some four million U.S. dollars for the organization.

At the beginning of January, Minister of the Presidency Juan Ramon Quintana and Culture Minister Pablo Groux said they began the negotiations in Lima, Peru, with the representatives of Amaury Sport Organization (ASO), the rally's organizer.

About the negotiations, Morales said that according to the last meeting held by Groux and Quintana with the organizers,"they have advanced a lot."

Morales asked all the government's institutions and authorities to be prepared to contribute in the possible development of the rally in Bolivia.

On the other hand, Quintana said Dakar Rally is an open door so that Bolivia can show the world its tourism capacity and its current economic growth.

Quintana said Bolivia has the conditions to be part of the international motoring competence and that it's essential to position Bolivia as a country brand in the world context and the rally is the door for this tourism goal.

The minister added that Bolivia's participation in Dakar Rally will be useful to promote extraordinary tourist sites, such as Salar de Uyuni, the world's largest salt flat, as well as the Bolivian Amazonian and tropical regions, among others.
  20. Hayduke

Hayduke ///SAFETY THIRD/// Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hmmmm. I've always wanted to go to Bolivia...