Hacks-n-Pups

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by PackMule, Dec 20, 2007.

1. crampfan

crampfan Banned

Oddometer:
    After three months of trying to get Niki into the side car, I about gave up. One day a buddy was over and asked how the side car training was coming along. I told him that I was about to give up. He called Niki over picked her up and put her in the side car and said "SIT/STAY" lol, after about 5 mins in the side car I started the bike up and rode around the property. Two years later I can't go on a two wheeler ride, because she get pissed at me.
  2. catneck

catneck Rabid Motorcyclist

Oddometer:
    Thanks all for the tips. I will keep up the Clarence training!
  3. Boondox

Boondox Travels With Barley

Oddometer:
    I've tried different types of foam in my Hannigan rig, but on the dirt roads and winter damaged pavement here in Vermont Barley was shaken up like a ball in a paint can. I discovered a memory foam dog bed at Orvis.com ($75 since it was a return with another dog's name on it) and it made a HUGE difference! Before, he was comfy...but not quite enough to sleep. Now, he stretches out and naps on those 14 hour days on the road.
  4. Hegy

Hegy Slainte!

Oddometer:
  5. whitham_wannabe

whitham_wannabe Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    Bruce!
    [​IMG]
  6. RidingDonkeys

RidingDonkeys Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer:
    Bryson's usual ride, the red Ural, is down right now. So he got to spend this weekend riding to CRAP with MrsDonkeys on my Bonnie rig.

[​IMG]

Sent from the voices in my head and transcribed by their drinking buddy...
  7. coupe1942

coupe1942 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just fooling around with the camera a bit and Murph will patiently wait for any photos to be done. I don't know about him being a "cow dog," but he darn sure is a native Texan. :-) Unfortunately, his six guns, holster, badge and Lone Ranger mask were packed away in a storage bin at the time these photos were taken.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/a1930ford/8705640886/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/a1930ford/8705640794/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/a1930ford/8705649626/

The hood ornament on the hack was roped down to pull the new bumper up to mark for some mounting holes. If I can just each Murph some ropin' tricks, I'll bet he can lasso that sucker from the hack seat and hogtie it pretty quick. :-)
  8. vetsurginc

vetsurginc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hannity likes it a lot better with the Doggles (only has one eye, have to protect it).

At 16 lbs not a lot of ballast but he likes to lean on the outside of the car :evil

[​IMG]
  9. Hegy

Hegy Slainte!

Oddometer:
    Beautiful machine and dog!!!!

[​IMG]
  10. Bucho

Bucho DAMNrider Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've taken her a couple time around my neighborhood and I took her on one short ride to the store with my son sitting in the hack with her. But this was her first hour plus ride. We hit some fun dirt roads and even passed some people walking dogs. She was really good and just sat or layed down on the seat.
    Not sure if she likes the goggles, but she tolerates them fairly well. I didn't use any thing to tie her down. Cant decide if I should do that or not.

[​IMG]
  11. vetsurginc

Oddometer:
    I've used an Aerostitch strap around the seat as an anchor point, Alaska sheepskin over the vinyl of the seat (under the strap) for better claw grip. Hannity wears a regular harness with a ring at the chest, and I clip a short lead to it, attaching other end to the Aerostitch.

He can move around, but can't climb out of the car, and if I hit bad bumps or do a short stop he can't go flying. I'm paranoid, but I've seen and treated the results of loose dogs being tossed from pickup beds- not a good thing.

Harness

[​IMG]

In the car
    [​IMG]
  12. GypsyWriter

GypsyWriter Yup, I'm a girl.

Oddometer:
    :raabia:raabia:raabia:raabia
    Reminds me of my baby!! :clap
  13. RidingDonkeys

RidingDonkeys Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer:
    I have to ask, does your dog only have one eye? If so, how does that affect it on a daily basis?

Schnauzer Rescue of the Carolinas just got this little guy named Poncho. He was left to die by his owners after a run-in with some chickens. SRC got him and paid to get him all fixed up. He's still recovering, but he's still a playful, growing puppy at heart. I've shown pictures of the poor guy to friends looking for dogs, and the resounding comment is "how will he function with one eye" and "he might be scared and bite the kids." I don't really think either of those scenarios will hold true, and I had a blind Cocker years ago that never showed signs of aggression or disability.

[​IMG]
  14. Bucho

Bucho DAMNrider Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have no personal experience with blind dogs but did have a friend with a dog that went totally blind in old age. He said there wasnt too much of a difference. He never seemed to bump into things but he was also old and didnt really run around much either. As long as they can still smell they are usually okay.

I cant imagine a one eyed dog having much problem with anything.
    One of my last dogs was a Hurricane Katrina rescue, a scarred up young pitbull. He was a great dog and good with kids. Even kids who did really dumb stuff like getting right in his face.
    I think 99% of dogs who have bad historys can easily get past them with some decent training. I dont think dogs have enough brains to really think about the past. They sort of live in the moment and just react to their surroundings as they have learned.
  15. Hegy

Hegy Slainte!

Oddometer:
    Poncho will be just fine! I had an English Bulldog that I adopted and was blind in both eyes but man could he smell things, and he got by perfectly fine after I fenced off some window wells:shog. And a dog if given love will return it ten to hundred fold with any ailment; they just want a pet from time to time, a ball to chase, and food/water. Hell isn't that what we all want?:freaky
  16. RandoCommando

RandoCommando Wannabe

Oddometer:
    Hey RidingDonkeys.
    Dogs do well with one or no eyes.
    For proof, go to this Facebook page and read all about Buck.
    https://www.facebook.com/Buckneedsbucks?ref=ts&fref=ts
    Look at his pictures and videos.
    I had a dog that luxated his lens in one eye and eventually went blind in that eye.
    It didn't phase him at all.
  17. vetsurginc

Oddometer:
    Hannity lost his eye at 6 months from beatings by his original owners. He's now 7.5 and doing great. He will occasionally turn left into something (not hard - he''s learned) and sometimes misjudges the jump up to the bed (comes a bit short). But overall he is the major squeaky toy chaser of the world.

Dog's adapt so well. He's great with people and other dogs, and mostly everything (squirrels look out). He's a major cuddle and you would never know he had been abused.

I think the puppy will do great! Anyone who is worried is a nut!
  18. crampfan

crampfan Banned

Oddometer:
    We stopped at the lake on the way to work this morning.
    [​IMG]
  19. GSBS

GSBS FunHog

Oddometer:
    While awaiting parts for my Victory/Velorex/Harley hack to arrive I'm taking the opportunity to make a few upgrades - Progressive shock for the sidecar, paint, touch up, tires, etc, etc., but all Roscoe and Bailey know is that they wanna RIDE!

Hopefully I'll have it all back together next week. Right now I'm waiting on a welding shop to finish modifying the sidecar swing arm for the new shock. Garage is a mess and both of my varmints are hanging around waiting for me to get them back on the road.

[​IMG]
  20. GypsyWriter

GypsyWriter Yup, I'm a girl.

Oddometer:
    Woohoo I finally get to participate in this thread!

Yesterday marked Dixie's first real on-road adventures in the sidecar and she's a total champ!

[​IMG]

Today I decided to try some local farm roads and she was game (until I stepped off to take a pic then it was all whines and "I wanna get off too!") :D

[​IMG]