Enduro for way too short rider?

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by zirael, Dec 7, 2014.

1. zirael

zirael lost everywhere

Oddometer:
    Hey guys,

after spending few weeks on the road with my Ducati, I somehow realized it really is not an adventure bike..so I am searching for one, that would make long distance travelling a bit easier.

Sooo, I am searching for something that could handle a bit of off-road and would provide me with some kind of comfort on the road (back pain after few thousand kilometers on a Duc Monster is really really awful :D )

The main problem is, that I am only 5' 2". Please don't recommend me F650GS, I know that everyone says it's a perfect woman adv bike, but honestly I don't really like it (old one), and I am afraid it is a bit boring and weak.
    And yeah, I know that this topic has been here for a few times, however, as I recall, it always ended with a 650GS...so please give me something else.

Thanks a lot! :-)
  2. Lion BR

Lion BR I'd rather be riding

Oddometer:
    Honda CB500X. That should do it. Check its thread.
  3. zirael

zirael lost everywhere

Oddometer:
    maybe something more offroady? That would be able to ride through Morrocco, for example?
  4. Lion BR

Oddometer:
    Check Rally-Raid on vendors. They are preparing a kit that will make this bike plenty good for that kind of travel, including spoked wheels of a more appropriate size for the front.
  5. Fern-

Fern- Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am 5'5'', and ride a DRZ. It did have lowering links, but I am now used to it and ride without. You learn the hard way usually! But the beauty of an enduro bike is that it is designed to constantly fall over and the only thing that is damaged is your pride.
    LuckieLuke likes this.
  6. zirael

zirael lost everywhere

Oddometer:
    DRZ is quite off my needs..but nice bike, of course :)

and that rally-raid CB.. well, it surprised me, but I would maybe prefer something else...not that new - due to the financial reasons, and the fact, that I don't really like the new Hondas.. (god, I am choosy!)

Anyways, thanks for the ideas :)
  7. LudemJo

LudemJo Honourary Newfoundlander

Oddometer:
    I just read the Rekluse 700x thread below. Sounds like that may be just the ticket. Be sure to read RidaApart article that is linked on page 1. The 700x is one I am paying more attention to now.

John
  8. vtwin

vtwin Air cooled runnin' mon Supporter

Oddometer:
    Would a TW200 be out of the picture? I read people have lowered them.
  9. zirael

zirael lost everywhere

Oddometer:
    absolutely - way too small, way too uncomfortable.

I am perhaps searching for something as small as the 650GS , but a bit more fun to ride perhaps..is there anything like it?
  10. CDNTX650

CDNTX650 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not with that short of an inseam. Did you try the 650 gs with he twin engine and mag wheels? Way lower seat height than the 800, way more power than the single 650. Set of lowering links might be right up your alley if its still to tall.
  11. Lion BR

Oddometer:
    Now that I know the CB500X is outside your budget, I will refrain from suggesting the few other options out there. The CB500 is one of the least expensive "adventure" bikes. :D

Now, let's talk dual sports... :lol3 Yamaha has a nice 225TTR, I believe. $hort and $weet.
  12. zirael

zirael lost everywhere

Oddometer:
    well I would like to spend less than 4000€ on a bike that won't be treated nicely while riding :D

but let's say, if I make enough money, I will buy that 650GS twin. Or 700, 2014 in black/red it's really yummy :evil

I was just looking for some cheaper possibilities that are not 650GS.. but it looks like (except that new Honda) there is nothing!
  13. JustKip

JustKip Long timer

Oddometer:
    If it wasn't for the " a bike that won't be treated nicely while riding " part, I'd suggest moving the bars up and closer on your Monster. That would get you sitting more upright for longer times in the saddle. You can also get slightly more aggressive rubber in sizes that fit the Monster's wheels. It's the cheapest option, but won't be pretty :deal

A Tiger 800 "Roadie" can be lowered, and I have a friend who's 5'4" who rides one. But it's still a bit tall, even lowered an inch.
  14. CaptnSlo

CaptnSlo Long timer

Oddometer:
  15. itsatdm

itsatdm Long timer

Oddometer:
    In defense of the BMW 800 series bikes. The F650gs twin has a fairly low seat height. It doesn't have suspension links to lower the rear. The only way to do it is a shorter shock and moving the forks up. A low seat would help.

I really don't see the point of lowering this bike and still want to ride it in dirt. As to its engine lacking "soul" or what ever uthanizm substituting for slow. One reason is it is geared taller than the F800gs. Put the F800 sprockets on it and it perks up quite a bit. The other is design. BMW tuned these engines to emphasis torque, so it doesn't rev as high as others, that does not mean it is slow. It may seem so, compared to a Ducati, depending on what displacement version, you are riding.

If you rode one and didn't like it, that's one thing, if relying on Internet "facts" that's another.
  16. Maxacceleration

Maxacceleration Off the grid

Oddometer:
    You have not said how much gear you want to carry, and your Monster doesn't hold much either, so...
    Why not jump to the new Duc Scrambler?
    Or put Duc scrambler type handlebars on your Monster (or tall superbike bars).
    Do you have your Monster setup soft-ish for comfort?
    Its gonna cost to replace quality with quality.
    The 500X (or any of its siblings) look like a way to spin it up on a budget. :evil\

Oh, I love the F650GS twin torque - you can ride it off the bottom like no other... well 650. :D (ya I know its an 800)
  17. CDNTX650

CDNTX650 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I agree, my wifres f800gs can lug us around 2 up easy peasy. Way different on my versys.
  18. Lion BR

Oddometer:
    I was going to suggest the Scrambler but when she can not afford a CB500X, how could I suggest the Scrambler? :rofl
  19. John Ashman

John Ashman Adventurer Wannabe

Oddometer:
    I would get an F650GS twin used (or F700GS) and simply replace the seat and rims.
  20. zirael

zirael lost everywhere

Oddometer:
    well, as I said earlier, if I make enough money, I surely will buy 650/700GS twin - I like it, it's pretty low, and I consider it powerful enough for me.

And customizing Monster is out of question - I love the bike the way it is, it's really fun to ride (shorter distances, of course).

I was just hoping that there exists something similar to the old 650GS single - in height, price, but maaaybe with a bit more HP, I will probably have to keep up the pace with 1150GS or something similar :D

It seems like I have no other choice then..anyways, thanks for all the answers guys (everyone's so sweet here, not like on our local czech forum) :clap