Honda CB500X

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by JimmieA, Nov 12, 2012.

1. Zole

Zole n00b

Oddometer:
    I checked 2 bikes at 2 different Honda dealers, and noticed some strange gap between front end of the seat and fuel tank. I could stick my fingers under the seat and even fold the seat material.
    Is it standard seat design on this bike (CB500X), or those seats were not properly mounted?
    Thanks for help...

Z.
  2. dogjaw

dogjaw plays well alone

Oddometer:
    Probably an installation problem; mine was a little fiddly the first couple of times I messed with it, especially if you're in a hurry...
  3. markjenn

markjenn Long timer

Oddometer:
    I took the seat off in a dealership and had a devil of a time getting it back on properly. I don't think the salesperson was able to either and he left it askew. Probably happens frequently. I'm sure owners can learn the trick to getting it on properly and it would not be a problem.

- Mark
  4. John Ashman

John Ashman Adventurer Wannabe

Oddometer:
    Because I am so amazingly intrepid, I FB-friended the Thailand Honda racing page and asked him if they would release more information and specs on their CB500x and he said that was coming soon.

To me, that racebike is THE ADV bike if there ever were one. Was one? Whatever!
  5. TH Honda X Challenge

TH Honda X Challenge n00b

Oddometer:
    Hello all , thank you for your interested our project. Bike's modifications details are coming soon (we're on photo shooting progress.) easier , please follow up our facebook cuz i'm not here often.Out line regarding our CB500X Rally Version prototype is supported by Honda Racing Team Thailand to make a CB500X to going to new horizons especially on the off-road route.To responsed this idea.We're improved front and rear suspensions to get highier performance and more safty on off-road.With is ideal,we're have 2 solution for experimental.First is for real "hard-core off-road rider" reponsed by front fork from CRF450R or another MX bike fork with long travel,surely for more budget riders.Another choice is "soft-core" or over all rider who need something give they more comfortable on off-road or rough-road.With this solution,we focusing on "low budget" and easy installation for anyone can step closer.The front fork came from CRF250L because there is to cheeper and with softer factory std setting,can be feel ride comfortable.About the wheels there's not any tricky,two of our prototype CB500X can be running by 21F and 18R wheels for fully off-road cover.And also running on 19F and 17R wheels for various use on rough road.Tire choice is option of this decided.21F and 18R has many off-road tires option in the market,same as 19F and 17R has may high speed off-road or all terrain tires in the market.That's is..
  6. wingnut11

wingnut11 generally strange

Oddometer:
    Thanks for posting. I'm very curious what you did to raise the back end. If you could elaborate more that would be awesome.
  7. TH Honda X Challenge

Oddometer:
    other point is one of our CB500X rider is 170 cm hight.19F and 17R give him more comfortable on high speed track.
    This YSS shock are tailor-made from "top of the line" YSS series for our prototype.
  8. TH Honda X Challenge

Oddometer:
    Our YSS Shock is about 7 cm. length more from std shock.And first stage,we're flip linkage to give more back raise hight.But after test ride about 1 month we found is not work cuz the rear suspension is not fully smooth with completely travel.and also the bike geometry is suck! wheels base changes,riding position changes,chain route is not corrected etc.We're back to std. linkage.Back raise hight is came from only longer YSS Shock.
  9. John Ashman

Oddometer:
    I had the idea that maybe it would be possible to swap the entire front of a CRF250L and MAYBE the rear shock/wheel as well or even swing arm, with luck, and so then I would have a $5000 SuperMoto with nice rims and a $6000 ADV bike with decent offroad capability, for less than the price of a BMW or Triumph.

Is this possible? It's hard to get specs on the parts and, of course, Honda Mexico sells none of these bikes.

Thank you very much for coming!!!
  10. mcmann

mcmann Kid at Heart Supporter

Oddometer:
    Are you in the picture below?

[​IMG]
  11. John Ashman

Oddometer:
    I guess the person on the far right. Do I win a CB500x race bike?

The way I see it you could build a machine that is better in the dirt than a KTM990 easily, with better, longer suspension and nearly 100lbs lighter for $5000 less, yet still peppy enough to go fast on dirt or street. If the CRF250L parts swap, it could be $4000 less and a free supermoto.....
  12. Thorgrim

Thorgrim Used'ta could

Oddometer:
    Since I am not at all intrepid, I wasn't able to figure out the exact name of their FB page. Would you mind telling us what it is?
  13. John Ashman

Oddometer:
  14. Sock Monkey

Sock Monkey 99% bullshitter...the other 1% is just lies

Oddometer:
    Thank you very much for your reply. :thumb

I'm very much looking forward to the details on this build. It would be great if the conversion was simply a parts swap (i.e. swap forks/triple clamps from a CRF450 onto the CB500X with no mods to the steering stem, bearings, etc). :clap

-SM
  15. Jud

Jud Long timer

Oddometer:
    Another thumbs up for chiming in. Can't wait for more tech info.:clap
  16. TH Honda X Challenge

Oddometer:
    Sorry John....you're wrong CB500X still with me hahaha..
    I'm not in the photo cuz I took this photo...I'm mechanic not as rider in this event.:evil
  17. TH Honda X Challenge

Oddometer:
    For CRF450R or any MX fork is not easy...not only about the stem but also lot of work on front axle and front brake caliper alignment.:deal
  18. Cortez

Cortez BAZINGA!

Oddometer:
    MCN just did a review of CB500X, NC700X (and Vstrom/F700GS).

The couldn't figure out the "purpose" of NC700X, but they mentioned
    it costs as much as the Vstrom in UK, which isn't the case elsewhere,
    the 500 and 700 cost virtually the same here in Croatia.

4 of them rode all the bike and were uninimous in the decision:
    Winner for entry level riders was the CB500, and Vstrom for
    experienced riders.
  19. Juanjo-X

Juanjo-X X Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just a couple of pics to show you how looks the bike with them fitted. The price tag is about a 30% from the Honda handguards (59 € KTM / 164 € Honda ones) and, in my opinion, are better by far. Thought maybe someone could be interested in this accessory and saving some bucks for gas :evil

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  20. Cortez

Cortez BAZINGA!

Oddometer:
    Wow, looks very good!